Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

09 Dec 2023 18:49
Replied by thadwald on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

So what's the password on that image? I can't seem to find it posted anywhere. cnc didn't work for me.
09 Dec 2023 17:21
Replied by chuckp47 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Reading the errors again, these are all about rspi. That's the same as I had in Rod's image.
I suspect that the SPI driver is still not capable of what is expected here. Some research into the SPI situation showed me that there are features like chip select support that are not yet available in the RPi 5 (RP1 chip) driver package. This will be something more to look into, both in the how LinuxCNC is using SPI and what the SPI firmware driver for the RP1 chip is doing.
09 Dec 2023 16:43
Replied by chuckp47 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

This image can be downloaded from here
drive.google.com/file/d/16kKamxMKPdYAeJp...KLf/view?usp=sharing

I installed this and it's quite nice.  Much like the default Pi release, everything came up normally.  The latency historgram looks good.  I'm trying to talk to a Mesa 7c81.  After I set it up for an XZ lathe I get this error report when launch.  The key part seems to be:

Note: Using POSIX realtime
hm2_rpspi: Can't map peripherals: Invalid argument
hm2_rpspi: cannot map peripheral memory.
hm2_rpspi: rtapi_app_main: Invalid argument (-22)
./my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal:9: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app hm2_rpspi
./my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal:9: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
./my_LinuxCNC_machine.hal:9: insmod for hm2_rpspi failed, returned -1

One of you can probably point out how to correct the memory management.  Suggestions?  There are less errors on the rspi than in the past.  Maybe if I get the memory setup right it can load the rspi driver?
ulimit -l reports 1030416, much bigger than the 20480 noted in the build document.

09 Dec 2023 16:14
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Sorry, I was quoting  a source, the file name and location (to a subfolder) may have changed
09 Dec 2023 14:21 - 09 Dec 2023 14:22

At first glance everything seems to work regularly and the lowest value that did not show the "Unexpected realtime delay" message was
latency-test 12000

Trying your image now. ... what username and pw does it take?
09 Dec 2023 14:10 - 09 Dec 2023 14:11

rodw post=287637 userid=20660I did a bit of reading. can you guys try adding this at the beginning of cmdline.txt?

video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 

I also noticed that the RT patch 6.1,66 has been released and the 6.1.66 kernel was merged into the 6.1.y branch yesterday so it would be a good time to build another image.

There was no cmdline.txt. Creating one with this line didn't change anything.
09 Dec 2023 11:15

I think that the images built with the rpi-img-build are missing some grahpics libs that are included with the Raspberry Pi OS. When the RPi5 is booted with your image and you go to change the resolution there is no monitor info there. There could be a problem with the EDID being read, so it doesn't know what monitor\display it is working with.

Just remember rod that the RPi5 is a different beast compared to the RPi4.
09 Dec 2023 11:07

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Hello. I'm new to the forum. During the day I'm an embedded firmware guy. I've built products using the RPi4 (CM4) and an Olimex Lime board. I want to use LinuxCNC to control an ornamental lathe. I've got an RPi5 here now, as well as a Mesa 7c81 with an RPi4 on its back. I know I have more questions than I can post right now, but I look forward to learning more here. I'm particularly interested in how the RPi5 port is coming.

Here's the result of the latency plot on the 4G RPi4b running the LinuxCNC 2.9.1 Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO.  Doesn't look too good,  Is this normal?  We're planning to use DM542 style drivers, so maybe it doesn't have to be perfect, but...  I guess I should try the RTAI based one.  Or maybe I should just jump into the RPi5 project?

Just run the latency test without the base thread. There's no need for a base thread when using a Mesa card.
Be warned the hm2_rpspi driver does not work with the RPi5, it requires a rewrite to suit the RPi5 hardware, IO has been moved to the RP1 chip rather than being on the processor itself, I spent a while with this, hence the reason the RPi5 is in a drawer ATM. If you want to reduce the latency disable sound, wfi & bluetooth.
09 Dec 2023 11:02
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I did a bit of reading. can you guys try adding this at the beginning of cmdline.txt?

video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 

I also noticed that the RT patch 6.1,66 has been released and the 6.1.66 kernel was merged into the 6.1.y branch yesterday so it would be a good time to build another image.
09 Dec 2023 10:52

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Hello. I'm new to the forum. During the day I'm an embedded firmware guy. I've built products using the RPi4 (CM4) and an Olimex Lime board. I want to use LinuxCNC to control an ornamental lathe. I've got an RPi5 here now, as well as a Mesa 7c81 with an RPi4 on its back. I know I have more questions than I can post right now, but I look forward to learning more here. I'm particularly interested in how the RPi5 port is coming.

Here's the result of the latency plot on the 4G RPi4b running the LinuxCNC 2.9.1 Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO.  Doesn't look too good,  Is this normal?  We're planning to use DM542 style drivers, so maybe it doesn't have to be perfect, but...  I guess I should try the RTAI based one.  Or maybe I should just jump into the RPi5 project?

If you are interested with a Pi 5 and the image you find here
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...pi-5?start=60#287616
the graph of latency-hystogram is this

09 Dec 2023 08:54

Well ...
I added the network-manager-gnome package in order to get the GUI nm-applet.

I also added the raspberry pi repository 
deb archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bookworm main
so I could get raspi-config

isolcpus 2.3
Max latency during a short test was about 15us
I hooked it up to a MESA 7i76s and just worked. So no network latency issues (yet).
I'll let it run for a while.

The 640x480 display limit is a bugger. Any idea how to fix that?

It does run pretty warm. 
Processor utilization running gcode in Axis is around 15% for cores 1 and 2

No solutions as of yet, I think its related to not being able to read EDID of the display. Raspberry Pi OS is fine. Which, IMHO, does feel a little snappier, but that's just a "seat of the pants" feeling.
09 Dec 2023 08:48

Why are you running such a low servo thread ?

If you are running Wayland just be wary that any apps that make calls to X lib functions will be a little, ahem, slow.

There is an option in raspi-config to change from Wayland to X.
09 Dec 2023 07:17
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Taking into account that a new version of RaspiOS has been released
(www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-s...spberry-pi-os-64-bit)
Release date: December 5th 2023
System: 64-bit
Kernel version: 6.1
Debian version: 12 (bookworm)

and the new Preempt_RT patch
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.1/

I prepared a new image for the Raspberry Pi5

Linux raspberrypi5 6.1.65-rt16-v8-16k-elv_rt+ #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Thu Dec 7 13:43:31 CET 2023 aarch64

in which I installed a version of linuxcnc_2.10.0~pre0_arm64
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=20#287208

At first glance everything seems to work regularly and the lowest value that did not show the "Unexpected realtime delay" message was
latency-test 12000

The values ​​are much better than the version here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-pi-5?start=0#285243

09 Dec 2023 07:11 - 09 Dec 2023 07:21

Well ...
I added the network-manager-gnome package in order to get the GUI nm-applet.

I also added the raspberry pi repository 
deb archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bookworm main
so I could get raspi-config

isolcpus 2.3
Max latency during a short test was about 15us
I hooked it up to a MESA 7i76s and just worked. So no network latency issues (yet).
I'll let it run for a while.

The 640x480 display limit is a bugger. Any idea how to fix that?

It does run pretty warm. 
Processor utilization running gcode in Axis is around 15% for cores 1 and 2

09 Dec 2023 04:42

By the way, DigiKey has over 2500 pi5 4GB in stock. $60 plus shipping.

Unless you are going to use Ethernet or prepared to wait for the hm2_rspi driver to get rewritten I wouldn't grab one right away. And due to the need to really run a cooler, fitting to the 7c81 is going to need a bit of ingenuity.
Displaying 781 - 795 out of 1060 results.
Time to create page: 2.053 seconds