Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

14 Nov 2023 19:05

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

wifi can be set up using sudo menu-config.

If someone can confirm a working network manager that does not break things, I can look at adding it as some changes are needed.
I did not install the whole xfce4 environment out of kindness to the Pi's resources.

My version needed a bit of hacking to get it working for Andy and 2.9.1 and more changes are required now he has developed an install script for linuxcnc from the linuxcnc repo files.
14 Nov 2023 18:07
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Damn, they said nobody would have one untill after Christmas!
Hopefully its just a matter of changing the board to build for the pi5 when building the image as shown here
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...-2.9.1/build-lcnc.sh
It may just need to be set to BCM2712 Ref: www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/
I will check in with upstream.

14 Nov 2023 15:17
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image

The image in linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.9.1-bookworm-rpi4.img.xz does not work with the Raspberry Pi 5

14 Nov 2023 14:45

I think the official image missed including a NetworkManager status tray applet. There seems to be several options but, contrary to the name, network-manager-gnome seems to list specific compatibility with XFCE and may well be the one that XFCE uses natively and doesn't drag the whole Gnome desktop over with it (see dependencies in the link above).
14 Nov 2023 12:07
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image
14 Nov 2023 10:22

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

The Pi has a new kernel 6.54 and also today a RT patch has become available for it
New commit number is: fad58933544bb2a7b7db92847c25c79a83171fa6

More work!
in this link you will find the description of my experience on the recent Raspbian 12

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...aspberry-pi-5#285240

As I noted in your thread, advancing past the PREEMPT_RT 6.1.54 kernel is not recommended because none of the later kernels have been merged into the Raspberry mainline kernel code. 
14 Nov 2023 10:17

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

The offical installer needs a bit of work right now as it predates the availability of the install script from linuxcnc you use.
Nobody could give me a repository to use at the time so it downloads the debs from the repo and installs them.
Andy then wrote the installer script you use and I started on updating the AMD64 live installer.
I intend to redo it to follow the linuxcnc script install as this will mean it can be updated with Debian 12
My final updates to the linux AMD64 ISO build were committed today so I should have time to do this shortly.

I think the linuxcnc installer I wrote follows pretty much the same method as your build script from the pi forum. The difference is that we clone the Raspberry Linux  source at the specific commit the RT patch is merged into their mainline rpi-6.1.y branch.
github.com/raspberrypi/linux
This ensures that the kernel exactly matches the RT patch at kernel.org mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.1/
The RT patch is placed in this folder github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...nc-2.9.1/userpatches

We last did this at the 6.1.54 merge on commit fad58933544bb2a7b7db92847c25c79a83171fa6
I did note the 6.1.59 RT patch was released. I can find the commit creating Raspberry's 6.1.59 branch but I cannot see where it (or later branches) was merged into their mainline. So I can't recommend advancing past the current 6.1.54 RT patch.
The commit number is easilly set in userdata.txt  here github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...ata.txt#L26C9-L26C49
Also, we do set the same kernel commands as you use here github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...rscripts/uscripts#L6

And finally, we install XFCE and other extras in the same way described in the linuxcnc docs you referred to which I wrote.

But all in all, I doubt its a good idea to do an apt update in case the kernel us upgraded, breaking our RT patch. Maybe its OK as the kernel is pure Raspberry and nothing that Debian knows about.

I do know from my own experience is if the kernel version gets too far ahead of the RT patch (even by a few days I found), the system becomes unstable
14 Nov 2023 08:36

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

The Pi has a new kernel 6.54 and also today a RT patch has become available for it
New commit number is: fad58933544bb2a7b7db92847c25c79a83171fa6

More work!

in this link you will find the description of my experience on the recent Raspbian 12

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...aspberry-pi-5#285240
14 Nov 2023 05:38

I’m not too sure.
I know on the image I’ve made it’s there, so I thought rod’s would be the same as well.
I haven’t updated mine since I added the build environment for the Litex-CNC project at about the time rod’s became the “official” image.

We took slightly different routes in the building of the images whilst using the same tools.
14 Nov 2023 04:58

That was where I was expecting it ... it wasn't there.

Do you know what app is responsible for that icon in the status tray on XFCE? nm-applet wasn't installed and I couldn't determine which XFCE package provides it.
14 Nov 2023 04:52

XFCE network manager top right hand corner where the network connection is shown.
14 Nov 2023 02:39

Fair enough ... I will give Geany a try.

I went back and re-imaged just to check if I missed something. There was no network setting menu nor applet when I first booted up ... although my wired connection was configured via DHCP correctly by NetworkManager when I plugged it in.

I checked that the applet was not hidden / not running by default. I also looked in all dropdown menu settings but there just wasn't any way to configure network other than nmtui or menu-config which work, but were not that discoverable.

Which standard network manager option are you referencing?
13 Nov 2023 21:58

The standard network manager that comes with XFCE is included and is very good.
Geany is included as a text editor and is far superior.
To tell the truth I’ve never used synaptic for package installation.
The aim of the image was to put together what is required to run Linuxcnc and to do some basic housekeeping.
13 Nov 2023 21:15

Thanks for your work on this. I will get a chance this weekend to see if this works OK with my Mesa card and current configuration.

I didn't know about menu-config so I set TZ on the clock app and I just ended up installing:
"synaptic" for searching for relevant packages to install and the only package were I needed the command line.
"network-manager-gnome" for a network status applet and more advanced gui network management (i.e. setting up a static IP for a Mesa card).
"mousepad" for a confusingly-named lightweight gui text editor that is usually a default in XFCE.

I know that you want to keep things small and that there is some expectation that folks know their way around an apt command but I would suggest those three apps be included in the base image to avoid dead ends for those not familiar with the terminal and CLI. There are minimal dependencies that those bring in.
13 Nov 2023 14:43

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

What latency are you getting running a servo & base thread ?

Result of latency-test

Result of latency-histogram

Displaying 946 - 960 out of 1062 results.
Time to create page: 1.209 seconds