Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

12 Aug 2023 21:58 - 12 Aug 2023 21:58

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Hiya all,
Im trying to modify a small milling machine to CNC using LinuxCnc and Rtelligent EtherCat Closed loop stepper drivers.
New to Linux and i am finding it out the hard way trying to get ethercat to work on my raspi 4B.

I tried following the Installation notes by Hakan ( forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/42048-notes-...at-on-raspberry-pi-4) but version 2.8.1 does not boot with the "start4.elf is not compatible. This board requires newer software" error.

It then tried the 2.9.0 image posted by elovalvo on page 16 of this thread. This one booted no problem.

The problem is the dkms_build failing and me not knowing what exactly goes wong.

If there is anyone who can spare an image of 2.9.0 with ethercat installed im really interested.
12 Aug 2023 06:42

Running LinuxCNC with RaspberryPi stand alone (without any driver board)

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum.

Tried to find some information on running linux on RPI4 solely.
Is there any manuals/documentation on how to run LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi and controlling the machine using GPIO only?

Thanks,
Alexey
11 Aug 2023 23:50

gladevcp catalog, and other questions

Category: GladeVCP

Justin,
'Troll' here again.
Makes no difference whether LinuxCNC is running or not.  So why does this message show up?

Why is the catalog unavailable.  It's now Linux.   Running LinuxCNC.  Running Glade trying to load psng.glade which BTW, is shown on the LinuxCNC axis panel.

When I said "you're not listening" that doesn't mean you're "stupid", it means "you are not listening"

You just tried to open a file created with glade-gtk2 inside of a version of glade that uses GTK3 or GTK4.....ya know how I know? Because of that wierd little icon to the left of the save button.

I took 10 minutes to install a Debian buster ISO inside of a virtualbox VM just to show you how this works, I expect a thanks.

On your Raspberry Pi with LinuxCNC installed run "sudo apt install glade-gtk2" Not "glade" that is the recent package, I told you what you are trying to do is ancient and you need legacy glade.

Anyway on my fresh Debian Buster/ LinuxCNC VM install I ran "sudo apt install glade-gtk2".  Then I ran "glade-3" to open it. You should probably understand that glade "version 3" does not mean it is for GTK3. Glade version 3.8.6 and below is for GTK2 and that is what you want to use. What you are trying to use in your screenshot is a version higher than 3.8.6.....ya know how I know?......

I can add 10 more LEDs if I really want to......

See the "HAL Python" widgets in the lower left? If you don't see those you aren't opening that file.
11 Aug 2023 22:47

Beaglebone black or Raspberry Pi HAL / INI

Category: HAL Examples

Hi There...

I am looking for Beaglebone Black HAL / INI example files.  

OR

Raspberry Pi HAL / INI example files.

Much appreciated,
Alan

11 Aug 2023 21:01

The stand alone program "Glade" creates XML format files that are generally saved with a .ui or .glade suffix.  As such they can let a user create a frame, add panels, buttons, and other graphical objects, set the sizes and links to what to do when that button is clicked or the text is entered into a field or the spin buttun up/down is clicked.   This Glade program is available for Windows and Linux and likely also Macs.

That's not any different from say Lazarus (Free Pascal) which has the philosophy write once, compile anywhere to create applications with panels, buttons, and other graphical objects.  Or Embarcadero Delphi which has the added feature of being able to also target Mac, Tablets, Iphones, Windows etc. 
The 'form' they create isn't an XML file but still contains similar information. 

If you have experience in writing applications with these tools then you will understand what I mean.  For example, I have run this application on Windows, A beagleBone running Linux and also MachineKit, my PC running LinuxCNC for the mill and a Raspberrry Pi without any changes in the source code.  The Pascal is translated from the C command line program provided by Jon Elson.

All I was originally asking for was the ability to edit an existing glade file with the ultimate goal of resizing some of the buttons with embedded .png files so that the entire PSNG screen specified for 1024x768 would fit on a 1200x800 LCD touch screen.  When Glase failed to open the psng.glade file on the Raspberry Pi running LinuxCNC (as I've just been rudely told to do but had already tried) I decided to take a step backwards and create something simple from the Glade Demo files like the provided helloWorld demo.  And since Glade was available for Windows I thought I'd start there.

11 Aug 2023 17:54

Thank you for your prompt response.
It looks like I was in error thinking that
<!-- interface-requires gladevcp 0.0 -->
<!-- interface-naming-policy project-wide -->
was a comment. Removing these two lines allowed the hal.ui to load into the glade IDE. It then displays a box but doesn't show the button and LED.

In either case that's not the point. If the Glade IDE requires a 'catalog' then what I'm asking is how to tell the Glade IDE where the 'catalog' is for linux CNC and what it consists of.

I can pull over any folders I need from the Raspberry Pi4 that can run LinuxCNC. And BTW, it throws up the same error when I run Glade on it.

So my question remains the same. The Glade IDE screen designer requires a path to a folder or set of folders in order to be able to load the icons and appropriate HAL connections.

So where are they for the 'simple' example hal.ui. If it can't figure out how to show the items described in the hal.ui then it certainly can't do the AXIS screen.

You're not listening, there is no path for you to set. The gladevcp widgets need the Linuxcnc environment to load. Once the LinuxCNC environment is loaded glade can open a file and show gladevcp widgets.

You can't pull folders over to your windows PC from your Pi, it won't work. If you have a dev version of linuxcnc 2.8 or less installed on the pi then the pi itself will have glade-gtk2 installed and IT can open that file
11 Aug 2023 08:34

Thank you for your prompt response.
It looks like I was in error thinking that
<!-- interface-requires gladevcp 0.0 -->
<!-- interface-naming-policy project-wide -->
was a comment. Removing these two lines allowed the hal.ui to load into the glade IDE. It then displays a box but doesn't show the button and LED.

In either case that's not the point. If the Glade IDE requires a 'catalog' then what I'm asking is how to tell the Glade IDE where the 'catalog' is for linux CNC and what it consists of.

I can pull over any folders I need from the Raspberry Pi4 that can run LinuxCNC. And BTW, it throws up the same error when I run Glade on it.

So my question remains the same. The Glade IDE screen designer requires a path to a folder or set of folders in order to be able to load the icons and appropriate HAL connections.

So where are they for the 'simple' example hal.ui. If it can't figure out how to show the items described in the hal.ui then it certainly can't do the AXIS screen.
09 Aug 2023 22:48
Replied by jcdammeyer on topic Work with probe

Work with probe

Category: Basic Configuration

The Linux I have running on an old macbook is a Raspberry Pi version. When I run glade it pops up with 3.38.2 for the version.
Loading psng_1024x768.glade results in "The following required catalogs are unavailable: gladevcp"
Click OK and continue and the next error is:
psng_1024x768.glade targets Gtk+2.16 But this version is for GTK+ 3.
Make sure you can run this project with Glade 3.8 with no deprecated wigits first.
Especially because there are 8 objects that can not be built with types: EMC_Action_Reload, Combi_DRO, HAL_LED, ToolEdit

What's the approach to be able to work with this glade file? My first time mucking with glade so have no idea where to start.
09 Aug 2023 21:00

New component for keyboards and panels.

Category: HAL

YES, this shows in the terminal:
linuxcnc@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /dev/uinput
crw
1 root root 10, 223 Aug 9 12:06 /dev/uinput
linuxcnc@raspberrypi:~$
This is my configuration using Matrix_kb with SENDKEYS:
#---KEYPAD----#
loadrt matrix_kb config=4x8
addf matrix_kb.0 servo-thread
net keypad <= hm2_7i92.0.7i73.0.0.keycode => matrix_kb.0.keycode
#---KEYPAD----#

#----sendkeys----#

loadusr -W sendkeys config=16t2
#net scancodes hm2_7i92.0.7i73.0.0.keycode => sendkeys.0.keycode

setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-00 34 # Key G
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-01 2 # Key 1
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-02 3 # Key 2
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-03 4 # Key 3
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-04 50 # Key M
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-05 05 # Key 4
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-06 06 # Key 5
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-07 07 # Key 6
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-08 31 # Key S
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-09 8 # Key 7
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-10 9 # Key 8
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-11 10 # Key 9
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-12 20 # Key T
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-13 11 # Key 0
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-14 52 # Key Dot
setp sendkeys.0.scan-event-15 14 # Backspace
setp sendkeys.0.pin-event-00 29 # Left Ctrl
setp sendkeys.0.pin-event-01 57 # Space
setp sendkeys.0.init 1
#----sendkeys----#

Logically it gives me an error because hm2_7i92.0.7i73.0.0.keycode is already connected to matrix_kb.0.keycode, and I don't know how to remove that error.
09 Aug 2023 13:30

Ethercat installation from repositories - how to step by step

Category: EtherCAT

It matters less to me to use Raspberry Pi or "PC" based system. I like to build on a solid foundation. So that I can at least go ahead with this for a while. I am a novice on Linux but want to learn to can use LinuxCNC. But i have to be honest i will be never an expert.

What would you advise given the future of LinuxCNC?

Thanks in advance.
09 Aug 2023 12:58 - 09 Aug 2023 13:01

Ethercat installation from repositories - how to step by step

Category: EtherCAT

Hi Rodw,

Thank you for the very fast respond, i've been struggling for already more than a week to get a working rpi4+linuxcnc+ethercat. I did this several times with several distro's ans several notes. The rpi4 with linuxcnc under -rt is running, installing the needed ethercat despite without result. As i want to retrofit a 3+2 axis milling machine i want to use more profession drives with ethercat.

So here is the info:

Yes, i created the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ighvh.sources file. I copied the shown data as instructed.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux rpi4-20230612 6.1.0-10-rt-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 6.1.38-2 (2023-07-27) aarch64 GNU/Linux

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL="www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="bugs.debian.org/"

Here my screen no errors till ethercat instruction:
nc@rpi4-20230612:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ighvh.sources
cnc@rpi4-20230612:~$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security InRelease
Hit:2 deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease                          
Hit:3 deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates InRelease                  
Get:4 download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:...herLabDKMS/Debian_12 ./ InRelease [1586 B]
Fetched 1586 B in 2s (1003 B/s)                                                
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
cnc@rpi4-20230612:~$ sudo apt install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
linux-headers-6.1.0-10-rt-arm64 is already the newest version (6.1.38-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
cnc@rpi4-20230612:~$ sudo apt install ethercat-master
E: Unable to locate package ethercat-master

07 Aug 2023 11:10

Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

Category: Computers and Hardware

I apologize for not clarifying my points.
My current setup on the lathe has raspberry pi 4B+ 2 GB.
Elovalvo 64 bit image.
All I/O on direct GPIO's.
i.e: Input/outputs, Steppers X&Z. Spindle PWM with Encoders PHASE-A & Index.
I am curious and eager to use Remora. especially with PC over ethernet. Once it is finalized by Dev!
Displaying 886 - 900 out of 954 results.
Time to create page: 1.790 seconds