Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
30 Dec 2014 20:42 #54410 by LAIR82
Just a few thoughts,

1. The Save/reload/run button has always been on my list of imediate removal, but we trained the operators to not go near it.
Thank You for removing it

2. The rabbit~turtle selector, is it a selectable option via the settings or INI page? Or is it something we will have to look out for, and do some training on when I do my next update?

3. The M3/G96 issue, I haven't checked that out but am going to try that today as a work around of entering the M3/M4 first, hitting enter then entering the G96........ for CSS. Should be enough to not worry about if that works.

4. I see no reason that you couldn't remove the X=0, Y=0, Z=0 buttons. Our guys enter their own values, whether it is zero or not, just for their own piece of mind.

5. As for the addition of the error dialog when there are problems with arc start and end points being added, Thank You, our post proccessor has issues sometimes with this, and the guys stand there and scratch their ass for 20 mins until I walk by and tell their program is crap.

6. I was informed last week, never noticed it on my end, I don't run these things, just program them, that when you select the M1 button to turn it on, it doesn't turn yellow to signify that it is on, until you touch/select somewhere else on the screen.

Thanks Again for all the hard work Norbert,

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2014 21:08 #54411 by mariusl

4. I see no reason that you couldn't remove the X=0, Y=0, Z=0 buttons. Our guys enter their own values, whether it is zero or not, just for their own piece of mind.

Please DO NOT REMOVE these buttons as they are the most used buttons during touch off.

Consider that there are many folks that use the screen and that the common practise should be the prevailing practise in stead of special cases taking preference.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
30 Dec 2014 21:20 #54412 by LAIR82

Please DO NOT REMOVE these buttons as they are the most used buttons during touch off.

Consider that there are many folks that use the screen and that the common practise should be the prevailing practise in stead of special cases taking preference.

No Problem Marius,

Doesn't Make a difference one way or the other to me, I personally would rather have them use these buttons anyway, but I just build and program them, I don't have the authority to tell them how to run them.

Rick

More
31 Dec 2014 00:48 #54424 by newbynobi

2. The rabbit~turtle selector, is it a selectable option via the settings or INI page? Or is it something we will have to look out for, and do some training on when I do my next update?

Settings page, hardware tab! see screenshots some posts ago ;-)

6. I was informed last week, never noticed it on my end, I don't run these things, just program them, that when you select the M1 button to turn it on, it doesn't turn yellow to signify that it is on, until you touch/select somewhere else on the screen.

Very strange, as here it stays yellow, even if I change modes in between. Yellow means active, so finding an M1 will pause the machine. Any idea to make it more clear?

Consider that there are many folks that use the screen and that the common practice should be the prevailing practice in stead of special cases taking preference.

Marius, you are right, we should think in most users, but I have an idea and need space on the button list, as I would like to integrate "macro workpiece aligning" Touch off the sheet with two touch on the side showing to you, one touch of on the left side and zero will be on the the edge and the rotation angle around Z axis is set automatically. If your workpiece is not witch an rectangular axis, you touch of two lines and the cut of the two lines will be zero and rotation is set for the first axis, or one circle and one line etc...

Would you be able to miss the Zero button to get that features? It is just one click more. For Plasma I am conwinced that the zero button are a very, very handy!

Norbert

More
31 Dec 2014 01:54 - 31 Dec 2014 01:56 #54427 by mariusl
Hi Norbert

I agree that we need some better touch off features. If you want to go that route with touch off then you might as well look at a lot more options like circle centres and many more.
IMHO we need a tab with touch off features and leave the run of the mill stuff as it is. Once you start down this road you will find that even the space at the bottom is not enough for what can be done.

The attached file shows what is a good set of touch off functions. That is why I think we need a tab for this.

You must also consider lathe users.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2014 01:56 by mariusl.

More
31 Dec 2014 02:45 #54429 by newbynobi
I showed a finger, and my arm is gone B)

That looks lovely and nice to have, but could we begin with some simple stuff?
A new tab is no problem, but the handling behind is not so easy, as it should work with touch probe and edge finder and laser cross and......

So how can we handle that?

I was only thinking at the moment about the most commune, the edge finder with no electrical connection to probe input.

Norbert

More
03 Jan 2015 04:44 - 03 Jan 2015 04:47 #54513 by newbynobi
gmoccapy 1.4.1

- corrected broken layout style, as the jog-increment buttons has not
been modified to change there background color, getting only dark gray
instead of yellow, if they where active. No the follow the gmoccapy style.

- the number of digits of the DRO can now be set on the settings page, so
users of fragile machines can reduce the digits.

Norbert
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 04:47 by newbynobi.

More
03 Jan 2015 17:34 #54518 by DaBit
Did a GIT pull, received the new gmoccapy.

Tortoise/hare button, I am seeing a reload button in the Edit screen, I can set the number of significant digits on the DRO.

Happy, happy! :laugh:

I will run to the post office today and possibly give the new gmoccapy GUI a workout.

More
04 Jan 2015 01:53 - 04 Jan 2015 19:28 #54526 by newbynobi
gmoccapy documentation

as not everyone build LinuxCNC with ./configure -enable-documentation I made a zip file, containing the most recent documentation as PDF, HTML and source.

Hope many of you do read the documentation and give feedback and help to make it better and more complete.

gmoccapy documentation

Norbert

P.S. Could someone please update the WIKI!!!!
Last edit: 04 Jan 2015 19:28 by newbynobi. Reason: added link to drobbox

More
04 Jan 2015 15:51 #54542 by mariusl

I showed a finger, and my arm is gone B)

Sorry about that but you know how it goes here. We all want all the toys that we can have :)
I did not mean that you must do all of that. I just wanted to show what all the possibilities are and most of them are used during probing.

So how can we handle that?

I would suggest that you still do it in a tab. Many other systems make use of tabs for grouped kind of functions.
Maybe move all the offset and homing stuff to a tab and have a list of most used buttons on the bottom. Even if they are duplicated.
Would it be possible to configure at start-up what buttons must be at the bottom? If so the user can specify what buttons are shown at the bottom

I was only thinking at the moment about the most commune, the edge finder with no electrical connection to probe input.

I dont think that is practical as you have to do things manually anyway. Then you might as well just use the X= and Y= buttons as they are. That is their function anyway as I understand it.
If I use my mill with manual DRO it works just like that.

I would suggest that you leave the buttons as they are and maybe look at defining a probing interface to expand on. It would make the effort worth a lot more in the future. After all, automatic probing is a big part of CNC machines. Especially with tool changers but certainly for most CNC machines.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.957 seconds