Another plasma component...

More
04 Apr 2019 02:11 #130250 by phillc54
John,
Is this probing behaviour also happening for the floatswitch?

Cheers, Phill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2019 02:15 #130252 by islander261
Phill

Success! After getting my mechanics.hal right the probing-test is working! The one thing I did notice is that it did not set the plate surface to 0 on the DRO ( I expected to see the DRO at .090 when the torch was at pierce height). I ran quite a number of trials and they all turned out the same on a floppy piece of 2mm HR STL on a really chewed up bed. I could pass a .089" dowel under torch every time and a .093" dowel wouldn't pass under the torch. It is too late here to cut a sheet of parts to get some scrap for line tests so I will need to wait until the morning. I will get the line cut macros written tonight. I guess the good news at this point is that I have relatively clean examples of .ini and .hal files to use a 7i76E and THCad with the plasmac branch.

John
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
04 Apr 2019 02:21 #130253 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

Phill
Success!
John

Very exciting guys. I just have not had the time to play for so long. Really want to get my ohmic sensing working this weekend.

More
04 Apr 2019 02:24 #130254 by phillc54
Great work John...

Yes, it doesn't set the Z to zero at the plate surface, it just keep track of the Z height from the offset.
Would it be better if it did set it to zero, bearing in mind that zero is only correct if the plate is not distorted in the Z axis.

Cheer, Phill.

More
04 Apr 2019 03:14 #130258 by phillc54

Zultan wrote:
Axis starts up in mode=0 even though I set MODE=2 in the plasmac.ini.

This has been fixed, the GUI's set it correctly. You can leave the setp plasmac.mode 2 in your HAL file if you wish.

I have problems saving values entered into the configuration tab (probe speed, pierce height, etc). If i manually edit the .cfg file and restart linuxcnc I can see that the values update however the save button doesn't seem to work. (This may be me not understanding how to configure everything)

I'm not sure what is going on here, islander261 is also having this problem. I have tried many times here and cannot get it fail.
I will keep trying.

If the table is setup to have homing switches and software limits on the z axis. If you use a work offset (g54 in his case) and touchoff a little way above the material the torch will not be able to probe down and will instead give an error...

I have tried touchoff at 1mm in a metric config and 0.1" in a imperial config without any problems. In the sims I just leave touchoff at Z0 and don't touchoff for any tests. The component itself does not use the touchoff height at all. If you want to begin probing from a low start position just set the Z height before probing. If no Z height is specified then subsequent probes will begin from the safe height. Safe height is computed as the specified safe height above the highest point found while cutting so this could possibly be set reasonably low.
If you want to use Z in gcode then you will need to comment out:
PROGRAM_EXTENSION       = .ngc remove z axis stuff
ngc                     = ./plasmac_gcode.py
in the [FILTER] section of the ini file.

Cheers, Phill.

More
04 Apr 2019 03:21 - 04 Apr 2019 03:32 #130259 by islander261
Phill

I am sure that those from the external THC camp will say why bother. My present system uses mostly standard hal components to do THC and in the past when I worked with EO branch I would set the G54 Z to zero when I probed to work piece surface. I did this simply with G92 Z 0.000 in my probing routine. It is very comforting to see the correct pierce height and then the correct cutting height displayed on the DRO. My current configuration doesn't update the DRO when the THC is active so you see the initial cut height for the full cut. When I was using the EO branch I had the DRO updating during the cut. It was nice to have because it gave you a sense what the material was doing (warping). Actually as I recall the EO branch "automatically" tracks the Z movement so that all is required is to zero the G54 ( work piece top surface) Z when probing is complete. Yes the work piece does warp and that causes changes in the work piece (G54) Z 0. One never changes the machine (G53) Z0 when cutting, this is set at homing and remains fixed. Because we update the G54 Z 0 every pierce the warpage doesn't matter because we are constantly correcting it. I usually limit my IHS skip distance to less than 2" ( more like 1.25") on the thin material I use.

I was able to probe from random Z heights with no problems. The default configuration is saving and reloading. Still no luck adding to the materials list, not a big problem as I will most likely edit it to the materials and conditions I use.

Thanks again for all the work. I hope to get a few line test cuts in tomorrow.

John
Last edit: 04 Apr 2019 03:32 by islander261. Reason: more words

More
04 Apr 2019 05:20 #130260 by phillc54
Pushed a fix for probe error handling

Cheers, Phill.

More
04 Apr 2019 07:13 #130269 by phillc54
Pushed user configurable buttons for axis native, axis gladevcp and gmoccapy.

To make it easier (for me) to support multi GUI's I have renamed the buttons and ALL buttons are now configurable.

Sorry, but this will make it necessary to edit any existing configs that have user configurable buttons.

Cheers, Phill.

More
04 Apr 2019 07:32 #130271 by phillc54

Still no luck adding to the materials list, not a big problem as I will most likely edit it to the materials and conditions I use

John, the materials list is not editable (is that a word) from within LinuxCNC, it has to be done with an external editor. It may be edited while LinuxCNC is running then if you reload from the config tab then it will show in the materials.

Cheers, Phill

More
04 Apr 2019 12:54 #130280 by Zultan
Replied by Zultan on topic Another plasma component...

This has been fixed, the GUI's set it correctly. You can leave the setp plasmac.mode 2 in your HAL file if you wish.

Thank you for this fix I will update and try it out.

I'm not sure what is going on here, islander261 is also having this problem. I have tried many times here and cannot get it fail.
I will keep trying.

Let me know if there is anything I can do on my side to help diagnose this problem. The only thing I can think of that may cause an issue is I changed the name of the machine in the INI file. This caused a new "machine-name.cfg" and "machine-name.mat" file to be generated. linuxcnc does seem to load changes made directly to the file but sving doesn't happen.

I have tried touchoff at 1mm in a metric config and 0.1" in a imperial config without any problems. In the sims I just leave touchoff at Z0 and don't touchoff for any tests. The component itself does not use the touchoff height at all.

This morning I managed to figure out why these errors were occuring (it was my fault). My machine table only uses a single motor for the y-axis (joint_1) but also has a rotary 4th axis (joint_3). When I converted the config over from sim I missed this line in plasmac.hal:
net p_comp:axis-position        joint.3.pos-fb                  =>  plasmac.axis-z-position
which was reading my rotary position as the z-position and causing confusing errors. To fis the issue I simply changed it to read:
net p_comp:axis-position        joint.2.pos-fb                  =>  plasmac.axis-z-position
but I was wondering if it would not be better if the line was:
net p_comp:axis-position        axis.z.pos-cmd              =>  plasmac.axis-z-position
my brief check in hal config told me that these should be equivalent but I dont have enough Linuxcnc experience to be sure...

Do you still want to see my config I should be able to upload it later today (machine computer doesn't have internet)?

Thanks for your help
Glenn

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds