Another plasma component...

More
22 Apr 2019 01:38 #131447 by phillc54
I have pushed an update to increase resolution for pierce height and cut height in the configs.

Affected files are:
configs/sim/axis/plasmac/native/plasmac_axis.py
configs/sim/axis/plasmac/gladevcp/plasmac_panel.py
configs/sim/gmoccapy/plasmac/plasmac_run.py
configs/sim/gmoccapy/plasmac/plasmac_panel.py
configs/sim/qtvcp_screens/plasmac/plasmac_ui_handler.py

Cheers, Phill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 04:50 #131452 by phillc54
I have pushed an update:
don't come out of cornerlock until 99% requested velocity is reached

This affects plasmac.comp so you will need to run make

Cheers, Phill.

More
22 Apr 2019 05:11 #131453 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
I'm not sure what i'm missing but I got everything operational on my table so thought I'd give plasmac a go on a small part as
per the attached gcode which I edited by hand to to delete calls to my gcode touchoff routine.

It took off and cut circles in the air. I scratched my head for a bit then realised there was no M3 in the code anymore as they were in the touch off routine. So I added them back in.

So it took off and cut more circles in the air. there was no attempt to move the Z axis at all.

I then pulled the latest code and recompiled and it still cut circles in the air. So I'm not sure what I'm missing. All the plasmac signals seem to be working and the pulse button fires the torch. BUt I just realised I need to copy the pythons stuff across to my working directory.

Could the version I downloaded on Friday be broken?

I've attached all my files..

File Attachment:

File Name: spaceship_plasmac.ini
File Size:9 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: machine.hal
File Size:21 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: plasmac1.hal
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: a-plasmacpart.ngc
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2019 05:39 #131458 by phillc54
An S1 after the M3 got it going on a sim.
Also needs a G0 at the front of line 31 because all the Z moves get comment out on loading.

I have another update to push soon, I left something out on the last one so you may want to wait till I post it before updating again.

Cheers, Phill

More
22 Apr 2019 05:50 #131460 by rodw
Thanks Phill, yes I fixed the missing G0 and once I got home, I wondered if I should have added a S1. I'll give it a go.

More
22 Apr 2019 06:02 #131461 by phillc54
I have pushed two updates:

fix velocity calc for gcode set F word
this affects plasmac.comp so you will need to run make

set GUI minimum cut-feed-rate to zero to allow gcode set feed rate
this affects:
configs/sim/axis/plasmac/native/plasmac_axis.py
configs/sim/axis/plasmac/gladevcp/plasmac_panel.py
configs/sim/gmoccapy/plasmac/plasmac_run.py
configs/sim/gmoccapy/plasmac/plasmac_panel.py
configs/sim/qtvcp_screens/plasmac/plasmac_ui_handler.py

Cheers, Phill.

More
22 Apr 2019 08:20 #131472 by rodw
Phill, thanks, I am away!

This config is just so complete and neat and tidy and works far better than anything I've written in the last 3 years. Well done! I'm sold on this already.

I'll upload a video to my build thread.

The Linuxcnc set should be very grateful for your tireless work on this. I only hope it makes its way to master branch soon. I think its getting a head of steam now so with a few installations, the bugs will get found quickly.

One observation is restarting on a pause is problematic as there is no steel left to support an arc on my machine but it tries valiantly to get going again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
22 Apr 2019 15:14 #131516 by islander261
Rod

I find that on my machine restarts are very dependent on the consumables I am using (at least on thin sheet). I also think this can be expanded and say it is a kerf width * material thickness^-1 related. I cannot restart in a cut with stock Duramax consumables but I can restart in the cut all day with Finecut consumables.

BTW when I used the TD torch I would slip a small scrap of really thin sheet over the cut and that would solve the arc starting problems.

John

More
22 Apr 2019 16:45 #131527 by tommylight

BTW when I used the TD torch I would slip a small scrap of really thin sheet over the cut and that would solve the arc starting problems.

John

That is exactly what is needed sometimes for thin materials ! Works always.

More
22 Apr 2019 19:32 #131541 by xunil
Replied by xunil on topic Another plasma component...
Hi all, I've been following this topic with great interest as I am nearing completion of a plasma table build with a friend of mine. If there is interest, I'll post a build thread; in general, though, it's based on a Mesa 7I92 and THCAD with a hodgepodge of steppers and drivers.

I do have a question, though: can the plasmac component (and associated config) be used without any form of probing? Our machine uses a Hypertherm T45m machine torch, which doesn't appear to have any facility for ohmic probing, and our torch carriage doesn't have a float switch. We're investigating adding both, but I'm hoping I can try out the plasmac component without these. Height setting will be accomplished with gauge blocks and very small manual jogs instead.

Many thanks to Phill for writing the component and to all of the eager testers - I hope to join your ranks soon!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds