Another plasma component...

More
04 May 2019 22:22 - 05 May 2019 01:16 #132782 by phillc54

The gcode for the buttons are defined in the ini file. I get soft limit issues on loading sheets so I've been meaning to hard code the position to be a bit less than the actual maximum (eg 1mm less)

Not sure if this would work
BUTTON_2_CODE = G53 G0 Z[[AXIS_Z]MAX_LIMIT - nn] (with nn being the distance delow max height)

When testing probing on different thickness of steel, I wondered if safe height and probe height would be better based off the material rather than the Z min limit? Then again I guess if these values are set for the maximum material that the table will cut, then there is no chance to select the wrong material and have the torch crash into it.

I intend to revisit probing later, I am not completely happy with it...

If I start the gcode program and the torch is below safe height, it rapids to the first cut coordinates without first raising to safe height, after the cut is finished it raises to safe height rapids back to x0 y0 then appears to drop the torch down to prob height. Should z not always raise to safe height before a rapid? Then raise to max limit at the end of the program?

The plasmac component only starts doing it's thing when it receives a torch on signal so at the moment it does expect that the user has everything in position ready to go. It may be possible in future to do something about that...

One question, in the Z Axis section should the stepgen_maxaccel and stepgen_maxvel be double the values they are in the joint section?

That I am not sure about, Dewey Garrett the author of 'external offsets' would be the person to ask. It probably wouldn't hurt though.

EDIT1:
There is no mention of these settings in the [AXIS_<letter>] section of the ini file, only in the [JOINT_<num>] section so my guess is they are not required in the [AXIS_<letter>] section.
Are these stepgen settings even required for hardware stepgens or only for the software stepgen component?

EDIT2:
Darren, your config is looking for these settings in the [AXIS_<letter>] section:
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirsetup        [AXIS_X]DIRSETUP
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirhold         [AXIS_X]DIRHOLD
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.steplen         [AXIS_X]STEPLEN
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.stepspace       [AXIS_X]STEPSPACE
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.position-scale  [AXIS_X]STEP_SCALE
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxaccel        [AXIS_X]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxvel          [AXIS_X]STEPGEN_MAXVEL
To my way of thinking (probably wrong) they should be in the [JOINT_<NUMBER>] section like:
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirsetup        [JOINT_0]DIRSETUP
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirhold         [JOINT_0]DIRHOLD
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.steplen         [JOINT_0]STEPLEN
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.stepspace       [JOINT_0]STEPSPACE
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.position-scale  [JOINT_0]STEP_SCALE
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxaccel        [JOINT_0]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxvel          [JOINT_0]STEPGEN_MAXVEL
and the [AXIS_<letter>] section kept to a bare minimum as in the docs .

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 05 May 2019 01:16 by phillc54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 00:51 #132787 by phillc54

Do you have any pictures / video to show of your build?

I don't. Photos I could and should do but I can't do videos yet as doing this configuration has stalled my build.

I also wold like to see the safe height and probe height to be set above the materials height

Safe height is first calculated as the height above the material at a successful probe. If THC is enabled then safe height is updated to account for any rise in Z so that it ends up being calculated as the height above the highest point encountered.

Probe height is the height above the Z minimum, as posted above I will revisit that.

Cheers, Phill.

More
05 May 2019 01:52 - 05 May 2019 02:08 #132796 by phillc54
Some more tool handling questions to show off my inexperience with plasma.

Up to now I have been thinking a tool change was only to change cut parameters.

I now think that sometimes it is required to actually change a nozzle as well as parameters.
IF TRUE:
- how do you guys do a nozzle change now? (the manual toolchange popup?)
- we need to be able to differentiate between a simple parameter change and a more complex nozzle and parameters change.
- we would need some sort of nozzle identification in the plasmac_tool_table, I had thought of Amps but then there a different nozzle types with the same current rating.
- how many different nozzle types per user would we need to account for?
- is there something standard in CAM tool tables that we could pick out?
- am I trying to do too much?
- life got harder...:(
IF FALSE:
- life is good...:)

I have got a prototype file converter working for you SheetCam users to copy SheetCam tool tables to plasmac format.
Does SheetCam always keep their tool table values as metric format?

If anyone has different format tool tables then I would be happy to have a crack at a converter after (if) we get tool handling sorted.

Cheers, Phill.

Sorry for the string of posts, the brain is a tad slow today...
Last edit: 05 May 2019 02:08 by phillc54.

More
05 May 2019 02:20 #132799 by islander261
Phill

Just got home from the seasons first market on the mainland. I have updated my Plasmac config to your latest release and will test in the morning.

The SheetCam tool table I sent you actually sorts the tools by material, thickness and cutting current (nozzle size), that is one reason there are so many entries. People wanting to use this in a job shop setting will want every combination called out like the file I posted. I use one nozzle size almost exclusively and rarely use another. After doing this for 9 years now I still have my original packages of the higher current nozzles I bought when I started. Needless to say I have never heard of anyone changing the nozzle sizes between cuts on a work piece but I could be wrong ( a M6 and a manual tool change will still handle this).

Thanks again for all the hard work. The Plasmac branch works far better than anything else I have used. I may seem picky but really all I am doing is trying to push the (your) branch to be the best available solution for plasma cutting.

I actually found changing over to the Plasmac branch pretty easy. Of course I was starting from a working LinuxCNC driven plasma cutter. Including macro buttons for a test probe (check the actual physical height of a probe) and tests cuts of say 150mm (6") or so on each axis will be a big help to newbies, they may not know it but those are the first two things you need to do before cutting an actual part file.

John

More
05 May 2019 05:00 #132808 by phillc54

The SheetCam tool table I sent you actually sorts the tools by material, thickness and cutting current (nozzle size)

I am guessing that some regular nozzles and some fine cut nozzles have the same amperage. I also assume that there are more than these two types. To do a real tool change there would need to be a way of distinguishing between them.

Needless to say I have never heard of anyone changing the nozzle sizes between cuts on a work piece

I would be extremely happy if that is the case.

a M6 and a manual tool change will still handle this

Unfortunately the work I have done on tool handling stops this working as normal (it has a remapped T word) but with individual nozzle assignment I could probably possibly figure out a way to do it.

I may seem picky but really all I am doing is trying to push the (your) branch to be the best available solution for plasma cutting

No, not at all, you need to be as I know nothing about cutting. I would love to achieve that result as well.

If you think any of your macros or modifications should be included I would be happy to put them in.

Cheers, Phill.

More
05 May 2019 08:10 - 05 May 2019 08:11 #132813 by phillc54
I have pushed an update for tool handling.

This ONLY applies to the Gmoccapy config and does not affect the plasmac component.

There are quite number of changes as listed below.

The standard LinuxCNC tool table is bypassed and a plasmac specific tool table is used. The tool table name is derived from [EMC]MACHINE in the in file, so a machine named METRIC_PLASMAC would have a tool table named metric_plasmac_tool.tbl. This file could be created by renaming your existing .mat file and modifying to suit.

The additional parameters are:
TOOL_NUMBER_ - this is now the section header rather than material name
NAME - this is the old header without []
KERF_WIDTH - this is passed to the #<kerf_width> parameter for cutter compensation
THC - this enables/disables THC on a per tool basis. 0 = disable, 1 = enable
All other parameters are as they were.

Tool numbers do not need to be consecutive nor do they need to be in numerical order. The maximum allowed tool number is 99999 as I believe this is the largest LinuxCNC will accept.

Tool handling is done by remapping the T word, so a M6 Tn will load the parameters associated with tool number n.
So if you don't want to use this feature then you can comment out:
REMAP                   = T prolog=plasmac_tool_prolog ngc=plasmac_tool epilog=plasmac_tool_epilog
in the in file.

When a tool is changed it only changes the cut parameter, LinuxCNC knows nothing of the tool or its offsets.

To use cutter compensation you will need to use G41.1, G42.1 and G40 with the new global parameter #<kerf_width> like so:
G41.1 D#<kerf_width> for left of programmed path
G42.1 D#<kerf_width> for right of programmed path
G40 to turn compensation off

Tools can be selected manually with the Tool number spin button but this does not load the new #<kerf_width> value, to do this you need to do a M6 Tn via MDI.

The supplied metric and imperial *_plasmac_tool.tbl files are not meant for cutting, they were just use for testing as are the metric and imperial *_tool_change.ngc files in the nc_files/plasmac directory.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything or broken too much.

Cheers, Phill.

File changes:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 05 May 2019 08:11 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
05 May 2019 08:21 - 05 May 2019 08:22 #132815 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Phill, I don't think you need to worry about tracking nozzles. On my machine, they go hand in hand with the amperage chosen. eg 2mm 40 amps = 40 amp nozzle, 2 mm 60 amps = 60 amp nozzle. I have seen some posts that put some comments in the code to remind the user. I guess they use a pause or something.

You'll be please about that as I have about 7 tips I can use.

If I'm lazy, I can avoid changing out a nozzle by changing the selected material at a different amperage.

I did think about scanning the cut charts page diagrams of the consumables that show the part numbers and including a link to the image in the materials file. But all 40 amps mild steel would display the one image regardless of thickness. If there was an image included in a cut chart entry, you could unhide a button and display the image in a popup so you knew what parts you had to install.
Last edit: 05 May 2019 08:22 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
05 May 2019 08:29 #132816 by phillc54
I forgot to mention:

There is weird behaviour in Gmoccapy with the F word display. It seems that it displays the FeedRate for the segment after the one that is cutting. If you display velocity that is correct.

There is a python program named toolverter.py in the Gmoccapy folder. That will convert tools from SheetCam to plasmac. It only converts ones known as Plasmatools.

Cheers, Phill.

More
05 May 2019 08:31 #132817 by rodw
Phill, sounds awesome. Looks like I am going to my shed tomorrow.

This is what I had in mind. Include an image file name like this for a given entry in the tool table

This would be very useful.
Attachments:

More
05 May 2019 13:52 #132835 by rodw
Just a question. How are you guys implementing external THC enable/disable (eg from sheetcam generated gcode)?

I had a quick look at the plasmac.comp source and it was not immediately apparent. There was a THC enable pin but I assumed it is hooked to the GUI.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.676 seconds