Another plasma component...

More
02 May 2019 10:24 #132504 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

I'm using a database for my plasma cut data on my GUI just for that reason that there are so many different options and kerf width changes with material, thickness and nozzle.

JT

Yes, I shared some example python scripts and SQL tables a long time ago somewhere in this thread but I had not taken into account the LinuxCNC tool table.. I'll see if I can find it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2019 10:27 #132505 by rodw

Yes, I shared some example python scripts and SQL tables a long time ago somewhere in this thread but I had not taken into account the LinuxCNC tool table.. I'll see if I can find it.

Well, that was quick!. it is on page 2. forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35449-an...nent?start=10#119922

I might revisit this work as I did not look at it again.

But we don't wan to to make too much work for Phill.

More
02 May 2019 10:36 #132506 by phillc54

I personally think unless you moved to a fully relational database, what we need would be met by simply adding a unique ToolID and a kerf width to the existing materials table records.

How would you then relate that to a LinuxCNC tool.

Cheers, Phill.

More
02 May 2019 11:05 #132512 by BigJohnT
G41.1 and G42.1 you can program the tool diameter on the fly...

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
02 May 2019 11:19 - 02 May 2019 11:20 #132513 by phillc54
Would that be done in the CAM software?
If so then I don't see a need for kerf width in the GUI config.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 02 May 2019 11:20 by phillc54.

More
02 May 2019 11:28 #132514 by BigJohnT
I guess that depends on if you have CAM software and if it has that feature. I'm just thinking out loud and have not followed this thread from the start so I'm just tossing out thoughts while I try and sort out what I'm going to do for my plasma. I have Sheetcam but have not used it in quite some time so I forget how it works.

JT

More
02 May 2019 11:38 #132516 by phillc54
I thought I understood what was asked for but now I don't think I do and I have no experience to relate to it.

Do you know if there still a 50 odd tool limit in LinuxCNC?
The HT tool table for Sheetcam I was sent had over 100 tools.

Cheers, Phill.

More
02 May 2019 11:52 #132518 by BigJohnT
The maximum number of entries in the tool table is 56. The maximum tool and pocket number is 99999.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
02 May 2019 12:11 - 02 May 2019 12:14 #132520 by rodw
I was looking at that limit too. I do remember Andy or someone saying it had been increased. There is a note on the lathe page that there is a 99999 limit but I think pockets are involved. I think though most users will only have one machine so a smaller subset (but 56 won't go far). I was looking at my SQL stuff and wanted to try and add an auto incrementing tool ID to the cut chart select statement but not having much luck with SQLITE syntax. If I could do that, it would be much easier as the select statement could limit the data set (to 56)

It would be good if JohnT could share his sql and interface. I kinda think there needs to be a separate toolchanger module that shares the plasmac data.

Either way it won't be easy to map it out. Its kinda like a whiteboard problem. I've really only done a cursory look at tool tables so don't know much more than Phil. Plasmac could parse it on start up and create a gcode subrroutine to reset and load the tools thats called somewhere.

If it gets too hard just add the extra fields for Id and kerf to the materials file for now and we can worry about it down the track once Phills had a rest!
Last edit: 02 May 2019 12:14 by rodw.

More
02 May 2019 12:21 #132523 by phillc54
Rod,
Can you explain what you want to achieve with this in layman's terms, I think I got a bit lost somewhere.
I don't understand why we need kerf width in a plasmac config as we don't use it anywhere. My understanding is that it would be used in the CAM software.

Cheers, Phill.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds