New Plasma build question

More
25 Sep 2019 14:28 #146161 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic New Plasma build question

Actually, I saw that today and wondered the same thing. My PC is powered seperately from the control box and it stays on 24/7.
I've never turned a PC off for about 25 years.... Occasionally fan would go in a power supply back in the old days.. But fanless is cool!

Rod I am sure my Brix has a fan that I can hear. In fact there are setting in the bios for it that can be set to auto , fan fail etc.

There are at least 4 sets of settings extra under the advanced tab more than yours .

I am wondering with mine if I could set it to use just one core. Never done that though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2019 14:59 - 25 Sep 2019 15:00 #146167 by Clive S
Ok Now I am the point of actually trying to put PlasmaC (Big thanks to Phil) into my working base machine, ie it will run at 9 mts/min and homes correctly.

I have tried to read the docs on it , as I understand it I need to set it up in mode 0. What is the best way to merge it into my config?
Last edit: 25 Sep 2019 15:00 by Clive S.

More
25 Sep 2019 19:02 #146177 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New Plasma build question

I am wondering with mine if I could set it to use just one core. Never done that though.

Waste of time. Not useful at all.

More
25 Sep 2019 20:49 - 25 Sep 2019 22:13 #146181 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic New Plasma build question

Waste of time. Not useful at all.

I was wondering if it was jitter I have seen this: On the forum

I had terrible jitter ( >200us) with with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet isolcpus=0,1"
but with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet isolcpus=2,3"
I have perfect jitter (< 17us)
Do not forget after that to run as root: update-grub
(you must edit /etc/default/grub)

Has to be worth a try.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2019 22:13 by Clive S.

More
26 Sep 2019 01:25 #146210 by phillc54

Ok Now I am the point of actually trying to put PlasmaC (Big thanks to Phil) into my working base machine, ie it will run at 9 mts/min and homes correctly.

I have tried to read the docs on it , as I understand it I need to set it up in mode 0. What is the best way to merge it into my config?

Mode 0 is if your plasma machine doesn't have an Arc OK output signal and it has an arc voltage output.

You have a working base machine so you are at a stage that you could follow on from here and it should get you going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
26 Sep 2019 08:25 #146232 by Clive S

Mode 0 is if your plasma machine doesn't have an Arc OK output signal and it has an arc voltage output.

You have a working base machine so you are at a stage that you could follow on from here and it should get you going.

Thanks Phil.
I am not sure which way to go ie. run in place or buildbot which is the safest or easiest route for a novice.
Also run tab OR run panel for a hobby machine ?

More
26 Sep 2019 08:48 #146236 by tommylight
Just my 2 cents:
Buildbot ( there is a very simple way to get Linuxcnc installed on Mint 19.x that i posted here somewhere )
Tab , makes the Axis GUI clean and smooth, as it should be.
Later,

More
26 Sep 2019 09:08 - 26 Sep 2019 09:14 #146238 by phillc54
I agree with Tom about Builbot.

Tab or Panel is a personal choice but if you don't have a widescreen display then definitely Tab.

Edit: I just realised that if you have a working config you must already have chosen either Buildbot or RIP.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2019 09:14 by phillc54.

More
26 Sep 2019 13:11 #146251 by Clive S

I agree with Tom about Builbot.

Tab or Panel is a personal choice but if you don't have a widescreen display then definitely Tab.

Edit: I just realised that if you have a working config you must already have chosen either Buildbot or RIP.

I have a feeling that I started with the 2.7 iso then updated to 2.9 from the synaptic package manager so does mean buildbot ?

Also is it a problem to change from tab to panel at a later stage ie to see what looks best. I have both types of screens.

More
26 Sep 2019 13:39 #146255 by phillc54

I have a feeling that I started with the 2.7 iso then updated to 2.9 from the synaptic package manager so does mean buildbot ?

Yes.

Also is it a problem to change from tab to panel at a later stage ie to see what looks best. I have both types of screens.

Yes, just a minor change in the .ini file

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds