GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
14 Mar 2020 01:19 #160112 by phillc54

You are going to need a EStop as most folk here expect to see one.

Sorry, I guess I was confused. I had left the e-stop button off because I thought you agreed earlier in the thread that we only needed an indicator light, and that software e-stops were a bad thing to rely on?

Yes I do agree that EStop should be an indicator only but many here think that an EStop button is required on the GUI.
My intention is that eventually this will be the only GUI I support on PlasmaC as is is difficult to keep supporting both AXIS and Gmoccapy plus we do eventually need to move to a more modern GUI toolkit. This won't be able to happen if guys won't use it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 01:44 #160114 by snowgoer540

You are going to need a EStop as most folk here expect to see one.

Sorry, I guess I was confused. I had left the e-stop button off because I thought you agreed earlier in the thread that we only needed an indicator light, and that software e-stops were a bad thing to rely on?

Yes I do agree that EStop should be an indicator only but many here think that an EStop button is required on the GUI.
My intention is that eventually this will be the only GUI I support on PlasmaC as is is difficult to keep supporting both AXIS and Gmoccapy plus we do eventually need to move to a more modern GUI toolkit. This won't be able to happen if guys won't use it.

I’ll use it :)

Should I keep making revisions?

More
14 Mar 2020 03:21 #160119 by islander261
I wasn't asking for a different colored Gmoccapy GUI. We need the same functionality as the Plasmac version of the Gmoccapy GUI for use. Phill had a lot of input over a number of months before it got to the point it is now. Running a plasma cutter isn't that much different than a milling machine. The main drawback that most other plasma GUI's have is their attempt to dumb things down to the point that they become cumbersome for production use. While a plasma setup for most doesn't need 10+ sets of work piece offsets it still needs clear delineation between machine and work piece coordinate systems to allow for irregular or misplaced work pieces while still honoring machine soft limits. The first time you destroy the expensive end of a torch this will become clear.

Phill's work on GUI modifications for both Gmoccapy and Axis took place over a number of months with people actually using the GUIs for production cutting and providing feedback. You need to think of the main GUI page as your day long work place and how many times do you want to go to sub menus for part or material changes or to fix cutting errors (tip ups, probing errors, consumable changes). I can tell you and I think '03 will as well it isn't uncommon to have multi hour long cutting sessions on one sheet and it is really nice to be able to monitor the actual cutting conditions from the main GUI to track failing consumables or other problems. I actually have routine cutting that is over 1500 pierces one single sheet with some actually using up a new set of consumables (over 3,000 pierces) on a single sheet. E- stop and machine on and off from the main screen are handy when you are spending a lot of time at the console.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, pinder

More
14 Mar 2020 03:42 - 14 Mar 2020 03:47 #160121 by phillc54

Look at the controls and indicators on the Gmoccapy PlasmaC GUI main screen and try to incorporate their functionality into your display, they are what is needed for cutting.

HAHa, I read this a couple of times and read it as "look at this" and totally confused myself when all the time it was "look at this" .
I think I need a break...
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 03:47 by phillc54. Reason: wrong link

More
14 Mar 2020 05:17 #160129 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

Look at the controls and indicators on the Gmoccapy PlasmaC GUI main screen and try to incorporate their functionality into your display, they are what is needed for cutting.

HAHa, I read this a couple of times and read it as "look at this" and totally confused myself when all the time it was "look at this" .

But I think you really need to look at this with the plasmac side panel enabled....
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
14 Mar 2020 05:20 #160130 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac
ANd now I think of look at this brings back horrific memories of many hours tweaking the GUI and writing numerous components to actually make that screen work.

These days thats all been delegated to PhillC because Plasmac rules :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
14 Mar 2020 09:03 #160147 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac
Is it really necessary to have 7 digits in a DRO for a plasma as if that was reduced it would give more real estate.

Just a thought ;)

As above this is going to be a very nice gui.

More
14 Mar 2020 13:10 #160168 by snowgoer540

Is it really necessary to have 7 digits in a DRO for a plasma as if that was reduced it would give more real estate.

Just a thought ;)

As above this is going to be a very nice gui.

Haha true, also I’m disappointed no one caught my Easter eggs lmao

More
15 Mar 2020 21:10 #160341 by alexandrub
Today i play and i configured my plasma for the first run and i was thinking if the cutting screen can be bigger. For this i think to use 2 monitors. One just for the cutting screen and one for the buttons. In this case is a lot of space. Is just an ideea, i do not know if is good or not.

More
16 Mar 2020 10:20 #160404 by snowgoer540

So should I continue to tweak the concept I had been working on, or not? I dont want to step on any toes or anything/do unnecessary work.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds