Random arc signal lost

More
08 Sep 2020 14:03 #181287 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Random arc signal lost
Ah, I think Operate and Release time are referring to the time required for the magnetic field to build up and deplete. So this is a delay between the change of the electrical signal to the coil and the mechanical movement of the contact.
Contact bounce happens when the contacts actually make contact or separate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2020 14:08 - 08 Sep 2020 14:17 #181288 by Aciera
Anyway, my point is that these are two different things that should be kept in mind. It's not a question which of the two is right and which is wrong.
Anybody CAN be affected by either one or both.

[edit]
In my oppinion EVERY signal coming from a mechanical contact should be debounced before its used in logic circuitry because ALL mechanical contacts have bounce.
Contact wetting CAN become an issue depending on the environment that the relay is in, but if you happen to be affected by it its a total pain in the neck. So to follow the minimal current guidelines can save you a LOT of trouble.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2020 14:17 by Aciera.

More
08 Sep 2020 14:11 #181289 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Random arc signal lost

So here is the circuit diagram. You can see that the 7i96 is unaffected. It still draws its 5 mA and the 3 x 270 ohm resistors take 267 mA

So this becomes my weekend project. To bring my existing circuit in line with the Jury's recommendations.

I thought 7i96's used Pull up resistors. In that diagram, I believe the 4.7k resistor is a pull down resistor, which takes me back to some of my confusion in the beginning of this thread.

Either way, early on you said you used a 1k ohm resistor from the input to the field power ground (which matches your diagram above). Assuming the board resistor actually does match what you drew, that would give you 824.56 ohms, and assuming a 24 volt system, you've presumably only been pulling 29mA this whole time (71mA below the recommended min value).

More
08 Sep 2020 14:27 - 08 Sep 2020 14:34 #181290 by Aciera

[edit]
So the above schematics discussed would assume that the common pin of the 7i96 isolated Inputs is connected to ground. If one were to use Field Power as the common then the schematic would look different. (but then the relay contact would be connected to Ground and not 24V)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Sep 2020 14:34 by Aciera.

More
08 Sep 2020 20:17 #181315 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Random arc signal lost
This has gone to hell in a handbasket quite quickly, so.....
There are several errors on the above posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
08 Sep 2020 21:10 #181321 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Random arc signal lost

I thought 7i96's used Pull up resistors. In that diagram, I believe the 4.7k resistor is a pull down resistor, which takes me back to some of my confusion in the beginning of this thread.

It has nothing to do with the internal pull ups. Its the internal resistance of the circuit quoted by Mesa that matters. The 4.7k resistor drawn is actually the internal resistance of the 7i96, not a discrete component.

Either way, early on you said you used a 1k ohm resistor from the input to the field power ground (which matches your diagram above). Assuming the board resistor actually does match what you drew, that would give you 824.56 ohms, and assuming a 24 volt system, you've presumably only been pulling 29mA this whole time (71mA below the recommended min value).

The 7i76 has a different internal resistance but the same values will apply due to the 10 x rule. I'm not really concerned about what I've done in the past, It what I do in the future for continual improvement that counts.

More
08 Sep 2020 23:58 #181340 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Random arc signal lost

Ah, I think Operate and Release time are referring to the time required for the magnetic field to build up and deplete. So this is a delay between the change of the electrical signal to the coil and the mechanical movement of the contact.
Contact bounce happens when the contacts actually make contact or separate.

Yes, as described in this extract from Omron
Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2020 00:04 - 09 Sep 2020 00:05 #181342 by snowgoer540
Phill, would you be able to shoot me an email? I'll need to be able to communicate the doc edits to you at some point, and I have something else to send your way.

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the Feature Request thread.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2020 00:05 by snowgoer540.

More
09 Sep 2020 00:07 #181343 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Random arc signal lost

Phill, would you be able to shoot me an email? I'll need to be able to communicate the doc edits to you at some point, and I have something else to send your way.

I could if I new your email address. Mine is a gmail address and it begins with phillcarter54

More
09 Sep 2020 00:13 #181346 by snowgoer540

I could if I new your email address. Mine is a gmail address and it begins with phillcarter54

Oh, I thought you could see them as a Moderator. My apologies! :blush:

Thanks!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds