Random arc signal lost

More
05 Sep 2020 08:02 #180791 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Random arc signal lost
You should separate out ohmic sensing becasue if a THCAD is used to generate an ohmic signal, there are no false triggers so debouncing is not required.

I'm still at a loss to understand why you want to add this complexity to plasmac. My eyes glazed over when I read the proposed docs. The examples have nothing to do with the plasma signals so it was just confusing.

Even for an ohmic probe using relays, the docs recommends the use of opto isolated relays and the relay hysteresis will prevent false triggers if the suggested relays are used. In any case, the two step probing of plasmac solves any possible problem.

It should be the user's responsibility to provide clean signals to plasmac and debounce them if its necessary.
I've never seen any of my limit sensors float switch or breakaways needing debouncing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2020 08:04 #180792 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Random arc signal lost
The only difference is adding the option for arc ok, everything else stays the same. What is so complex about that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
05 Sep 2020 08:35 #180793 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Random arc signal lost

The proposed docs for the proposed debounce:
home.iprimus.com.au/phillcarter/plasma/p...ml#_contact_debounce
Note that this will only affect newly created configurations.

Very nice and clear even I can understand it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snowgoer540

More
05 Sep 2020 11:02 #180801 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Random arc signal lost

The only difference is adding the option for arc ok, everything else stays the same. What is so complex about that?

I feel like Rod might be being intentionally obtuse, or he didn't actually read it, since you defaulted the new Arc OK debounce (on a separate control thread) to 0, which I think effectively just enables users with an easier means to solve any problem that arises.

I did wonder why you added a debounce of 0 and recommend leaving it at 0 though, that seems a bit counter intuitive. If it's because of the recent protest of one user who's never seen switch bounce on mechanical contacts ever, I'm not sure that's the best idea. I think defaulting it to a value that actually debounces it, even if it's really small (say 3) would give the new users it affects (who generally don't understand all of this stuff) the highest probability for success "out of the box". I maintain that even 5ms wouldn't change their pierce quality by any appreciable amount.

My other $0.02 is that there is a mention of one servo thread cycle and how that translates to Z motion, but it doesnt give an example for the timing as a whole. Maybe consider adding to the effect of:

each increment changes the debounce timing by one servo thread cycle. For example, using a servo period of 1000000 (measured in nano seconds) and a debounce value of 6 would translate to a 6000000ns debounce, or 6ms. This equates to a 0.001mm (0.00004") increase in the probed height result when applied to probing inputs.

I think that ohmic sensing via THCAD is a special use case, and any user wishing to do that could follow the multiple examples here which instruct them to comment out the debounce on the ohmic probe input.

Lastly I like that you explain how to add more debounces without the need to reference the linuxcnc debounce manual, which can be a bit cumbersome to read for new users.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
05 Sep 2020 11:49 #180803 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Random arc signal lost
The reason I left the default at zero for Arc OK it that this issue doesn't seem to occur very often. Although I do agree that a few mS of extra pierce time is not going to cause much of an issue, we are only using air plasma after all. It may be a different kettle of fish if it was high definition plasma but that is not what PlasmaC is aimed at. Maybe I will make it 2 or three, I'll see if there are any more responses.

If the debounce was 6 then it would actually be 0.006mm ( 0.00024") :)

The reasoning behind the additional info in the docs about debounce was because it is one of the few components that cannot be loaded multiple times. I didn't really think I would get shot down for that, plus it has been in the docs for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, snowgoer540

More
05 Sep 2020 18:46 - 05 Sep 2020 18:46 #180835 by snowgoer540

The reason I left the default at zero for Arc OK it that this issue doesn't seem to occur very often. Although I do agree that a few mS of extra pierce time is not going to cause much of an issue, we are only using air plasma after all. It may be a different kettle of fish if it was high definition plasma but that is not what PlasmaC is aimed at. Maybe I will make it 2 or three, I'll see if there are any more responses.

You get a value of 2-3 vote from myself (and I'm sure Cody as well). Seemed like Tommy was for it as well.

If the debounce was 6 then it would actually be 0.006mm ( 0.00024") :)

Oh, right :blush: was before my first cup :laugh:

The reasoning behind the additional info in the docs about debounce was because it is one of the few components that cannot be loaded multiple times. I didn't really think I would get shot down for that, plus it has been in the docs for a long time.

I'm for it being there, it's definitely a better explanation than what is in the standard debounce manual. I feel like everyone who builds a table should understand what switch bounce is, and what those numbers represent/how to modify them.

Finished up my Saturday "have to's" so I'm going to go play, which involves the table, some welding, and maybe taking the Hypertherm apart to see what's up with the relay there... just for fun :)
Last edit: 05 Sep 2020 18:46 by snowgoer540.

More
06 Sep 2020 00:20 - 03 Mar 2021 00:56 #180876 by snowgoer540
As promised, I took the Hypertherm apart to see if there is any sort of hardware debounce.

Dry Contact Relay:

Circuit (traces marked in red to make it easier to see due to the board coating):

The traces on the left hand side go directly to a connection for a set of wires that go to the CPC port. There is no hardware debounce (RC style or otherwise).

At any rate, just wanted to confirm that the it wasn't "dry contact relay" with some hardware bounce filtering they failed to mention.

Also it took far longer than I care to admit with a mirror and a flashlight to get the part number from the relay. The specs for the relay (TE T77S1D10-24) did mention a min. recommended contact load of 100mA at 5VDC. Further investigation showed that manufactures recommend that spec for contact wetting to break through oxide layers and "clean the contacts" to keep the resistance as low as possible. Several sites said that when contacts fail due to this condition, they usually just plain don't work. At any rate, I think Rod and I are describing two different problems, and their solutions.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Mar 2021 00:56 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
06 Sep 2020 01:32 #180880 by rodw
OK, so that confirms that your Hypertherm plasma cutter is susceptible to oxide build up just the same as I observed and discussed earlier in this thread. I did see a post where Jim Colt said that Hyperthemr have used the same relay on all their machines for many years.

so from ohms law, a 5 volt circuit requires an impedance of 20 Ohms to achieve minimum current draw.
So the question is, what is the minimum current on a 24 volt circuit? (R = I/R)
So if I take I = V/R, for 24 volts, I get I = 24/20 = 1.2 amps. I don't know if that is right or not so I'll go back to my electronics advisory for a suggested impedance value.

Several sites said that when contacts fail due to this condition, they usually just plain don't work.

I think this is almost correct. From my experience I would say "Eventually, possibly after a period of intermittent operation, they just plain don't work" The oxide takes time to build up before the failures occur so for a while before it fails totally its intermittent.

to keep the resistance as low as possible.

This is bad advice as it ignores Ohm's law. and the manufacturer's own recommendation There needs to be enough resistance to achieve the minimum current recommendation. Cleaning the contacts may apply if the contacts are turning on a 3 phase 30 HP motor but that is not an under current situation!

I think you still have a problem. While debouncing may have solved the issue for now, you have not addressed the underlying cause (oxidisation). I expect the fault will come back..

Anyway, I'll see what my analog experts advise.

More
06 Sep 2020 01:43 #180882 by snowgoer540
I’d think the same 100mA would apply, the reading I did suggested they pick a standard amperage value. So for 24V I’d need a 240ohm resistor... somewhere... to make the same 100mA draw. I do know my board is rated at 800mA max (7i76). I planned to measure the current amperage draw tomorrow out of curiosity.

I’m sure oxide does form, just not sure how much of an issue it is. If Jim Colt has advised these same relays have been used for years and years, again, you’d think the manual would bring it up so they didn’t see as many field issues.

More
06 Sep 2020 01:50 #180883 by rodw
The 7i96 manual says:

The isolated inputs use opto-isolators with a 4.7K input series resistance. This
results in an approximate current draw of 5 mA at 24V.

So I think we are still short of the required minimum resistance even at 24 volts

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds