Sheetcam and trying to generate spotting gcode.

More
27 Apr 2021 11:13 #207214 by rodw
I think its been raised by people who didn't really understand why it had to work the way it does.
It will be interesting to see Les's response.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2021 11:18 #207215 by phillc54
Well I am happy to remove the PP and leave it to others, it was only provided as a convenience and I don't have the time to maintain it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Apr 2021 11:50 #207216 by rodw

Well I am happy to remove the PP and leave it to others, it was only provided as a convenience and I don't have the time to maintain it.

I don't think it needs any maintenance right now. The Plasmac feature set is now pretty stable so the PP you've done works well. If it didn't I would have edited it to suit my needs. :)

More
27 Apr 2021 12:03 #207217 by snowgoer540

I don't think it needs any maintenance right now. The Plasmac feature set is now pretty stable so the PP you've done works well. If it didn't I would have edited it to suit my needs. :)

I've always worked with that same thought process as it pertains to post processors. If it doesn't do what you want it to/think it should then you just modify it to suit your needs. It's different if it's fundamentally broken or spitting out garbage G-Code.

More
27 Apr 2021 12:11 #207218 by rodw

I think I will take this as an invitation to Les to join this thread. :)

Others here are more qualified to answer his questions.

More
27 Apr 2021 13:24 #207221 by Franklin
I also use the spotting function quite often and do it like this:
1. Move holes to a new layer
2. Use a drill operation and select the "Center Mark" material to spot at the same height.
And if someone uses RS485, the selected material will set all the parameters for spotting.

I personally don't see why spotting can't stay the same as it is on spindle #2 with the current tool names and spindle #3 is used for a real drill so it could all coexist with a minor change to the post processor.

+1

More
27 Apr 2021 14:18 #207231 by LesNewell
Rodw pointed me to this thread.

To me it is unintuitive to expect a drill operation to be a plasma centre spot.
IMHO the drill operation should be removed as a centre spot option and kept for a drill spindle down the track.

As far as SheetCam is concerned, for spotting you are using a center drill that happens to be a plasma cutter.
You can still use drilling with a drill tool if you want to use a drill spindle (assuming the post is set up for it)

I'll go through the post and see what I can come up with. One thing I see straight away is that the centre spot tool is using spindle 2. Should this not be spindle 0 as spindle 0 is the plasma tool?

More
27 Apr 2021 14:26 #207233 by LesNewell
Another spindle question - What are the spindles actually used for? At first I assumed they were used to select offsets but looking at the manual I see you need to use tool offsets as well.

More
27 Apr 2021 15:19 - 27 Apr 2021 15:23 #207238 by AgentWD40

I don't see what is wrong with it either but it seems others do. Or am I confused?

To guarantee the expected results the user has to both change tools and use a drilling operation. This leads to confusion since expected results can accidentally be achieved by do one or the other and not both. This was not obvious to either OP or me at least.

If Les could make the *next* toolName and toolClass variables available to the OnNewOperation event I'm thinking these issues could be easily remedied by just moving much of the OnToolChange code to the OnNewOperation event. Presumably OnNewOperation gets called on each new operation, whereas we've utilized the OnToolChange and does not necessarily get called on each new operation.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 15:23 by AgentWD40.

More
27 Apr 2021 15:23 #207239 by LesNewell

To guarantee the expected results the user has to both change tools and use a drilling operation. This leads to confusion since expected results can accidentally be achieved by do one or the other and not both. This was not obvious to either OP or me at least.

Yes, that is a bug in the post. I'm working on an updated post that fixes this issue among others. You will be able to use a drilling operation for spotting with any plasma tool. The post will no longer depend on the tool name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, AgentWD40

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds