Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build

More
31 Jul 2020 10:52 - 31 Jul 2020 10:56 #176642 by rodw
What a monster project this week!
I've been struggling to learn Fusion360 becasue I grabbed a 3 year licence while it was on special. So then I needed a new computer so I bought an Intel NUC with a Radeon graphics card built in. Then I decided I should get two monitors while I was at it but had no room on my desk for the second, so I had to buy a new desk while I was at it!

Its actually a pleasure to go to work now! I also bought a license to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom so finally, the two non cloud based apps (CAD and photo processing) are also in the cloud. Its just a shame they are not OS agnostic like me! Any hardcopy invoices I receive are scanned to Google Drive with the white scanner so my new bookkeeper can take over.

So today, I managed to design some parts in Fusion to do a few jobs around the shop! The first was a couple of wall brackets to hold a roll of backdrop paper in my little product studio. I needed to do this to get rid of a couple of light stands and repurpose my old desk/table into photo duties. While I was in F360, I decided to put a notch on the fold line to line up the part when I folded it (in my 6": wide vice brake press!). Thats when I found out how much flex I have in my gantry ends. Look at the oscillations in the cut with acceleration of 5 m/s^2!

Also last week, I had a lot of electrical work done and the new high bay lights were super bright but left my keyboard in shadow on my packing bench. The other job I did today was to build an air hook to put a LED light over the packing bench.

I just have to tweak it a bit so it sits straight but with 90 watts of LEDs over the bench, let me tell you the shadows are banished forever! Hmm, now I look at that, I should have put a few tools away, Nutsert inserter, welding gloves, drill among heat sealers, barcode scanner and void fill machine... Its actually a very efficient (and super bright) workspace.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2020 10:56 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2020 11:43 #176647 by tommylight
Nice, nice and very nice, not necessarily in that order ! :)

More
31 Jul 2020 12:20 #176653 by rodw

tommylight wrote: Nice, nice and very nice, not necessarily in that order ! :)

Thanks.
You liked my acceleration induced ripple then? I'm sure all my customers will want one of those in their parts :)

More
31 Jul 2020 12:50 #176658 by tommylight
It adds something unique to their parts ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
01 Aug 2020 11:30 #176771 by Mike_Eitel
Is the biggest "hick" where you start? Otherwise i can not see whay you have that strange oscillation. If not i would look for a y statement in you g code.

More
01 Aug 2020 13:29 #176781 by rodw

Mike_Eitel wrote: Is the biggest "hick" where you start? Otherwise i can not see whay you have that strange oscillation. If not i would look for a y statement in you g code.

Nah, its a physical issue, I've replaced my motors and drivers so now rapids have moved from 20 m/s^2 to 36 m/s^2 and acceleration is now 5 m/s^2 (up from 2 m/s^2). Its 100% due to the inertia and flex due to the massive acceleration. There is a 3mm leadin direct into a 3mm V notch which would be far enough to get to 2.2 m/s cut speed and that combined with the sudden reversal of direction, caused the gantry to oscillate along the X axis while we travel along the Y axis.

I still have to stiffen up the gantry ends. In fact I have a couple of videos of the 400+kg table dancing on its 300 kg casters and one with a dial indicator against the gantry end, I'm too embarrassed to share!

More
01 Aug 2020 16:28 #176796 by tommylight

rodw wrote: ............ I'm too embarrassed to share!

We would not be embarrassed to watch it at all ! :)

More
01 Aug 2020 18:25 - 01 Aug 2020 18:26 #176806 by bevins

tommylight wrote:

rodw wrote: ............ I'm too embarrassed to share!

We would not be embarrassed to watch it at all ! :)

I'm going to have to read this thread/book of yours one day...
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 18:26 by bevins.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds