2+2+3 More Plasma builds, double the joy ! 3X2M and 2.5X1.5M cnc plasma build.

More
26 Jul 2022 23:11 #248378 by tommylight
regarding HiWin, i forgot to mention that all my machines are fully bolt on, so they can be adjusted, and that makes them not a good choice for me.
Otherwise, if the frame is rigid, HiWin can be used, of course.
I have used and still use HiWin and THK and NSK linear railrs, they are an abomination when you look at how much dynamic load they can handle, supported round ones can handle less than 1/10 of that, i have new THK 35mm ones with long carriages that can do 17900KG of dynamic load!
As for dust, i had the worst case where the rails were up and full of dust and water and they are still good, but also had a single case where one HiWin HGR25/HGH25 locked after a week of use.
There is also a huge difference in tolerances, linear ones will lock even from plasma fine dust if it gets in, round ones will continue working like nothing happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2022 20:04 #248581 by pit34
Thanks, Tommy, for this feedback.

I have not yet chosen between welded or bolted frame, so I still can adapt my frame to rail. But yours say make me afraid about this dust vulnerability.
I have found some dustproof accessories on Hiwin site . Wipers go from small to heavy, and a metal scraper can be added to protect against sharp dust. There is top and bottom sealing too. But as the displacement performance decrease as the wiping performance increase, it is difficult to choose the best ratio between both. I think I would have to test some and adapt if necessary.

As you have some experience with stepper motors' power and capabilities, do you think the "high" displacement resistance added by those wipers could cause some visible issues on cut quality ?

I keep using these damn Hiwin rails while my very dusty workshop may not simply allow it...

More
28 Jul 2022 20:44 #248585 by tommylight
I saw your drawing on the other topic, that will do just fine, for many, many years.
Do not use extra wipers and scrapers, except the standard ones that come with the HGH carriages, they add a lot of friction.
Also a single HGR15 is more than enough for the X axis/gantry if you make the Z axis lite enough. Two for the Y axis, HGR15 also more than enough.
Make the moving parts as lite as possible, notice on my machine everything on the gantry and Z axis is aluminium, except the rails.

More
29 Jul 2022 21:25 #248653 by pit34
Ok. Thanks Tommy for those advices, again.

It is not sure yet, all is still in thinking state, but as I maybe will add a wood router tool on the head in addition of the plasma tool, I think I will go with HGR20 ones. Just to not close a door.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Oct 2022 01:31 #253994 by tommylight
Just a short update, all 3 machines from the latest batch are finished, configured, tested and fire tested.
The only things still missing are the side panels and cable chains, still printing those :)
For a longer update, head over here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32784...t-15?start=30#253992

More
13 Oct 2022 05:47 #254058 by rodw

I will read the posts you have mentioned. Rods' one is a big one, 70+ page.

Sorry about that!
I was actually surprised how easy the 1600mm  linear rails were to align. We had them joined up with a fake gantry when we welded up the table to check for fit and it all came together easy...

More
15 Mar 2023 12:56 #266749 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid, snowgoer540, my1987toyota

More
16 Mar 2023 00:37 #266796 by my1987toyota
Tommy is the screen supposed to momentarily turn off when the machine strikes an arc ?

More
16 Mar 2023 11:00 #266821 by tommylight
Some of them do blank, some do not, this one does that because of the cable, it is the best i could fund here but still not good.
The plasma source is a high voltage/ high frequency pilot arc one, so makes huge amounts of interference.
I have a video where this plasma blanks a monitor on the other shop at every start using that same type of cable. That is 7 meters far and through metal clading!

More
17 Mar 2023 03:40 #266881 by Joco

Just a short update, all 3 machines from the latest batch are finished, configured, tested and fire tested.
The only things still missing are the side panels and cable chains, still printing those :)
For a longer update, head over here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32784...t-15?start=30#253992

Still printing cable chains??   Is there a model that you use that you share a link to or is it something of yours that is home grown?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds