2+2+3 More Plasma builds, double the joy ! 3X2M and 2.5X1.5M cnc plasma build.

More
30 May 2022 00:21 #244163 by tommylight

those plastic boxes are one way to cut the cost down a little bit.

It is a balancing act, plastic is light weight so i can bolt it to the gantry and that allows it to have much shorter cables hence less chance of interference on the cables but more interference on the control box. And i can not find good cable here, wasted 4 months to find some thin, so-so shielded cable used for intercoms, so i had to use 3 wires in parallel for every motor wire. Also used 2 wires for every sensor wire, just to be on the safe side.

i guess from the looks of things if you run your wires right noise is not an issue.

Yes.
Although with plasma there are always issues, other parts do their own mess, example:
The machine in the last video with No.1020 has the big power supply from a China company that has a dealer here (owner happens to be a very good friend of mine) it is a 24V/16A pushed to 27.2V, works on all machines, even the smaller supplies on my main machine with No.2030 are the same make but 200W each so there they are set as 45V/8A in series.
Also that same machine with No.1020 has two more smaller power supplies for 12V and 5V, some china cr@p for 7.5 Euro/piece.
All is good there as cane be seen on the video, works like a charm even with the torch cable resting on the electronics box.
On the machine next to it with No.1320 there are 3 power supplies, a bigger one at 24V/8A and two smaller same ones as above for 12V and 5V, the big one is labeled wrongly as 12V/16A, at 19.5 Euro a piece, i did not care much.
I was wrong! Not about the voltage, that is 24V and is OK, but the amount of interference this one makes actually caused a raked gantry as one of the steppers will start moving as soon as the power is turned on, and all other motors will vibrate quite violently.
Same manufacturer for the last batch, not the same quality!
-

i have found myself trying to make stuff from odds an ends more and more lately just so i can hide from the price shock :)

Same here, had to do some welding a few days back, i thought i was done with it when i finished the shop! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2022 01:19 #244171 by tommylight
Also, i am consistently monitoring this forum but not replying much as i am busy finishing some other projects ... or hobbies :)
Building and modifying some 3D printers, and to se what is going on there i do post often on instagram @toma.3d and toma.cnc and toma.pc
Less updates on youtube @ toma cnc, toma 3d, and toma pc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shpatb, RNJFAB

More
31 May 2022 00:26 #244249 by machinedude
I know you have to be a busy man with the speed at which you move on projects. So i understand the lack of time to comment on everything that happens here. i give you a lot of credit for the amount of help you offer to people despite being so busy.

For me i just play around with this stuff in my free time if i feel up to it. some weekends are more productive than others :) this was not a very productive weekend even being a day longer being a holiday weekend :) something came up and i lost the extra day fixing some stuff for my mom :) so the great expectations i had for this weekend came and went :) it happens :)

i will have into look at the other places you post. i like to see what you get into as it is always interesting to me to watch. you seem to get into a little bit of everything even if plasma is your primary interest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jun 2022 19:28 #246096 by tommylight
Finaly, got the two Mesa 7i92 from www.eusurplus.com today, tomorrow maybe i also get the 7i95 that is stuck at customs for several days, those m@#$%#
Back to work.... :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shpatb

More
30 Jun 2022 21:28 #246317 by tommylight
FINALYYYYYYYY i got the Mesa 7i95 !!!!

-
Aaand the machine with the LAM drives is going away, so now i have no need for it.
F@kin life and it's hoops! :)
Have to modify some cheap drivers to be able to control the current for outside, lets see how that goes.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shpatb

More
24 Jul 2022 20:23 #248192 by pit34
I just finished reading all the 47 pages of this topic. There is a lot of interesting things and discussions.
Many thanks to Tommy and other ones sharing their experiences, knowledge, and founds ! I really liked reading and learning from you.
This kind of persons are increasingly harder to find, and it is a shame, for DIY builders but for society in general too.
One more time thanks you

It will be of a great help for the manufacture of my own plasma table !
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, shpatb

More
24 Jul 2022 22:12 #248194 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: oddwick

More
25 Jul 2022 19:57 #248278 by pit34

Leme give it a try:
Merci beaucoup!
How many mistakes did i make?

Perfect ! You get 20/20 .

I will read the posts you have mentioned. Rods' one is a big one, 70+ page.
After those readings and a bit of thinks, I will make a post to present what I hope to do.

About linear rails, what are the reasons/advantages you use round shaft instead of prismatic rail like Hiwin ones ? What are your opinion on that point ? 

More
25 Jul 2022 22:42 #248285 by tommylight

Leme give it a try:
Merci beaucoup!
How many mistakes did i make?

Perfect ! You get 20/20

Dang, i was in Paris in 2004, so memory still working! :)

About linear rails, what are the reasons/advantages you use round shaft instead of prismatic rail like Hiwin ones ? What are your opinion on that point ?

Besides a bit lower price, much easier to install and align, and allow for plenty of lateral movement. The last part is very important here as there is no shop that has a flat floor here so i do not have to worry about breaking the HiWin rails on uneven surfaces.

More
26 Jul 2022 20:36 #248367 by pit34

Besides a bit lower price, much easier to install and align, and allow for plenty of lateral movement. The last part is very important here as there is no shop that has a flat floor here so i do not have to worry about breaking the HiWin rails on uneven surfaces.

Interesting ! When you say Hiwin rails can be break by uneven floor, is it because that floor cause prematurely and excessive wear or because that floor can literally bend and break rails on frame ? As my workspace floor are uneven, it worries me a bit.

In case you have already use Hiwin rails, have you ever compared the precision and dust sensibility of this two rails type ?

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds