retrofit on EMCO PC turn 55

More
05 Feb 2012 23:29 #17446 by chuck1024
I am in the middle of retrofitting an EMCO PC Turn 55 to runing EMC2. I am using a G540 for control and a VFD to run the spindle motor. Both axis move and EMC controls the spindle just fine with M3 and S commands.

I have questions in several areas.

1) I set the spindle control in stepgen to 0-2000 which is the middle speed. I need to know what options exist for the other 2 belt postions. Some reading indicates that I mighe be able to add buttons to the side of the display for the speed ranges. Is that the best way?

2) The spindle has an encoder. I connected the index pulse to the G540 input 1 and programmed that accordingly. How do I get the actual speed displayed on the computer screen? Which leads me to another question. Is there a way to link the actual speed to the programmed speed? For example, when I set S=1000 EMC just ouputs 5 volts to the VFD. THis would be 500 RPM on one belt postion but 1500 on a different belt position. With this type of configuration, EMC would automatically adapt to belt position.

3) RIght now I have the tool turret under manual control. Surely somebody out there has figured out how to control the EMCO turret using the stock interface and motor???

Thanks, Please point me in the right direction and push the start button!. :)

chuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2012 07:51 #17453 by andypugh
chuck1024 wrote:

Some reading indicates that I mighe be able to add buttons to the side of the display for the speed ranges. Is that the best way?

Optical sensing of the actual belt position might be more elegant.

Is there a way to link the actual speed to the programmed speed? For example, when I set S=1000 EMC just ouputs 5 volts to the VFD. THis would be 500 RPM on one belt postion but 1500 on a different belt position. With this type of configuration, EMC would automatically adapt to belt position.

Yes, there is a "gearchange" HAL component intended for this, but the current version only handles 2 ratios.
A few people have written multi-ratio versions (including me) but none have made it into the release version.
One of them is here: article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributi...l/4235/match=spindle
You can compile and install that with comp: www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_comp.html

RIght now I have the tool turret under manual control. Surely somebody out there has figured out how to control the EMCO turret using the stock interface and motor???

I think it is the same as the Boxford one, so this ought to work:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...iew&catid=47&id=9694

More
09 Feb 2012 00:57 #17513 by chuck1024
I would like to try the standard 2 speed version before attempted the custom multi speed.
I looked all through the docs but I cannot find it. How about a pointer ?
thanks
chuck

More
09 Feb 2012 06:57 #17518 by andypugh
chuck1024 wrote:

I would like to try the standard 2 speed version before attempted the custom multi speed.
I looked all through the docs but I cannot find it.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/gearchange.9.html

More
15 Feb 2012 00:52 #17673 by chuck1024
I think that the example in classic ladder might be a good fit for the Emco tool changer. Sadly many of the diagrams are dead.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ClassicLadderExamples

I can read the gear change man page, but I don't have a clue were to start..

I did manage to implement Big Johns "tool change" in Hal examples.

chuck

More
15 Feb 2012 07:51 #17677 by cmorley
Which diagrams are you referring to ? I see the ladder diagrams.

More
15 Feb 2012 21:00 #17688 by chuck1024
yesterday the last half were blank. Now they are there. Must be something to do with Windows7!
Sorry for the non issue.
cs

More
31 May 2012 20:36 #20537 by chuck1024
I received some questions based on this topic and I would like to address them here because I'm sure people here will have valuable input.
Here is a copy of the email....

Hi-
I'm looking around for a CNC lathe, and considering a used PC Turn 55. (For
example
www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Maier-EMCO-PC-TURN...&hash=item3cc6e1ca64)
I have some experience with lathes (~300 hours) and excellent technology
skills (I helped design a computer at the chip level, for example), but I
have absolutely no experience with modern CNC machines.

2 questions
1) What do you get out of a retrofit vs the original software? (I have no
idea what the original software does.)

2) How is it going? If you feel like the project is converging, I'm pretty
sure I could follow in your footsteps.

I finished this project a long time ago so parts of it may be a bit hazy. I do have a fair number of pictures that might help.

I did a retrofit because I didn't have any of the original Emco software and frankly didn't care to learn about it or the antiquated PC associated with it. I would also bet the original software does not have the features of LInuxCNC. I was familiar with LinuxCNC and it works well for me. I also wanted to use the emoc tool turret and I could find examples of other turrets that I figured I could adapt. That is a topic covered in another thread.

My conversion consisted of gutting all the old electronics including the odd 5 wire stepper motors. I used some nice stepper motors from Keling that work very well. I used a Gecko G540 for the control even though it has two drives that I don't need (it was still the cheapest solution). I reused the existing 24V power supply because it was adequate and I needed 24VDC for the turret motor. I used a Teco VFD from dealers electric and interfaced it to the G540 for spindle speed control. I removed the big red box on the back and scrapped it (I did save the yellow plate and cut it to size to make a bottom for the grey part of the cabinet. I put all the new electronics in the back of the grey cabinet.

My system requires 2 parallel ports in order to have enough I/O for the spindle encoder and tool turret.

If you do decide to convert a PC Turn55 we can address the conversion in stages.

More
03 Jun 2012 20:37 #20626 by jrkeat
I noticed that the current version (the Concept Turn 55) lists 52mm as the maximum turning diameter in spite of a 65mm center height. Is the PCTurn 55 indeed limited to such a small size?

More
06 Jun 2012 03:04 #20668 by jrkeat
It looks like I will be doing the conversion. The one I bought is missing the PC and the card (though it has the software.)

What kind of motors did you get, and did the slot right in where the old ones were?

What did you do about the turret?

Roughly how much would it cost if you did it again (you don't have to be exact.)

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds