retrofit on EMCO PC turn 55

More
21 Jul 2012 18:41 #22291 by cmorley
You would have to change it.
Just off after a quick read through...

I see g32 which linuxcnc uses g33
also the tool calls/offsets are done 'lathe style' (the offset is set with the tool - T404)
Linuxcnc does it differently g43 sets the offset the T code preselects the tool and M6 does the tool change - something like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2012 19:38 #22294 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

that looks alot like mill code to me
lathe code for most lathes that I have seen do not use

Indeed, it is mill code, as LinuxCNC is a general-purpose machine tool (and robot) controller. I think it was decided that that was a more flexible system.
However, as that link showed, someone has already modified LinuxCNC to accept the alternative format. You could (in theory) patch your version of LinuxCNC with those changes, or hope that they get accepted into the production version and wait.

You could also write a filter that converts your G-code before running it, that is fairly easy to configure.

Modifying the post processor is probably the easiest way, though.

I will mention that you would prefer the other style, though.

More
24 Jul 2012 17:29 #22409 by jrkeat
On my PCTurn55, one of my limit switches in normally closed (NC) and the other is normally open. The normally open one seems wierd, and I can get it to be NC just by changing the leads going into the switch. Do others have one normally open switch, or are they both NC?

More
24 Jul 2012 17:57 #22410 by BigJohnT
Usually all limit switches are N/C.

John

More
16 Jul 2016 20:03 #77552 by jcposada
I am reviving this old thread because I am in posession of one of these lathes which I am going to attempt a conversion on. While I am generally reasonably technical and comfortable tearing the back panel open and reading documentation, I am not an expert in LinuxCNC nor in motion control in general, so posting here in hopes that others, who know more than I do can help me double check my work before I let the magic smoke out of any of this since after all -as much as I hate the older WinNC software, it is working.

It turns that at some point (my revision is A6P_V01) Emco ditched the 5-phase steppers in favor of 3-phase as can be seen in the electrical documentation ( Scan )

The motor used for the axis is a VRDM366/50LHA ( PDF ), and the stepper drivers take differential input. (see page 15 of the electrical documentation - first link above).

The spindle is controlled by a Lenze 8202-E vector drive and as others on this forucm have documented it is fitted with an encoder.

My conclusion so far is that I can reuse most of the existing electronics while ripping out the control bits and replacing with Mesa hardware. The turret may be a challenge but at least a couple of people have been able to get it going and there is a Boxford ATC component in the HAL library that should serve as a starting point.

Am I missing anything thus far?

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds