LinuxCNC-RIO - RealtimeIO for LinuxCNC based on FPGA (ICE40 / ECP5)

More
11 Jul 2024 17:13 #304931 by meister
yes, i know, documentation is everything, but that's exactly what i don't enjoy :)
But as cornholio already said, you save a lot of work with the hal/ini configuration, everything you saw in the video is generated from the .json config.

I don't want to make a business out of it, it's just a hobby, but of course I'm happy if others use it and like it.

there are no ADC's broken out on this board, but they can be extended via I2C, also possible via Modbus, but then they are not as fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2024 21:28 #304944 by meister
Thanks to 'festlv' fixing the ecp5 pin generator,
the Colorlite i5 works with riocore:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, cornholio

More
11 Jul 2024 22:02 #304945 by cornholio
Wow the number of supported boards is getting really extensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Jul 2024 23:48 #304950 by tommylight
Last picture, a CPU, a HDMI port, DRAM.... how close is that to running LinuxCNC on it completely ?
Thinking of it, what are the chances of compiling an RT kernel for Porteus Linux? That is the ONLY really lite fully featured Linux out there, and it has a KIOSK mode already.... Oh hell, time...
It does run perfectly with 1GB or RAM, tested, probably will be fine with 512MB, and that is the "embedded CPU" territory.

More
12 Jul 2024 01:21 #304953 by cornholio
That's just a colorlight board on a SODIMM based on a lattice FPGA, I have a similar module but with a Spartan 6 FPGA. The ram is 8mb.
The litex project has a couple of examples with a riscv CPU, but probably not up to running Linuxcnx full on.
Now the board that would be great is the Beagle Bone Black if it had say 4gb ram and a faster processor whilst still keeping the PRU for step gen and such.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meister

More
12 Jul 2024 05:44 #304967 by meister
something like the 'Waveshare LuckFox Pico Plus RV1103' would be cool, headless with web-frontend.

or rasperry pi zero(2)

More
12 Jul 2024 10:57 #304977 by cornholio
Why we don't go all the way and design a RISCV Linuxcnc SoC ? I think I can pay anyone willing a cup of coffee, just bear in mind I ain't Elon Musk (actually I can't even afford to replace my old car that had to go to scrapyard). hahahahaha
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Jul 2024 15:32 #305001 by tommylight

Why we don't go all the way and design a RISCV Linuxcnc SoC ?

That is a good idea, that would make everything Open Source.
That would also probably imply using a slim distro, or trimming Debian, a lot!

(actually I can't even afford to replace my old car that had to go to scrapyard). hahahahaha

Last year i sold my new-ish car and kept the now 20 year old one!
The new-ish one had so much electronic cr@p that the only thing i did while driving it was steering!
I like Manual gearbox, i like to drive, be in control... control freak :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rthorntn, cornholio

More
12 Jul 2024 17:21 #305013 by cornholio
1999 Toyota Echo sedan, bought off a driving instructor about 8 or 9 years ago, was a bit rough bodywise. Cost AUD $3000 to buy. Got to the stage where the easiest option, if I had the $$$ would get a reco motor & geabox, plus new CV shafts & front wheel bearings.

But hell some people spend more than 3K a year on insurance.

More
13 Jul 2024 17:11 #305096 by fest
The only useful thing on that module for this purpose is Ethernet PHYs. But even then, I don't think implementing an Ethernet core is worth the effort, considering W5500 and UDP2SPI bridges already (kinda) work.

Time to create page: 0.749 seconds