Mesa hm2/hm2_7i96s.0: error finishing read

More
21 Oct 2022 15:27 #254693 by PCW
bensttech, on your 8300 do you have:

1. AMT disabled in the BIOS
2. IRQ coalescing disabled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2022 18:28 #254708 by arvidb
Here is another data point:

Computer: Lenovo Thinkcentre M710q Tiny i3-7100T
$ sudo ethtool --show-coalesce enp0s31f6
Coalesce parameters for enp0s31f6:
Adaptive RX: n/a  TX: n/a
stats-block-usecs: n/a
sample-interval: n/a
pkt-rate-low: n/a
pkt-rate-high: n/a

rx-usecs: 0

$ sudo ethtool -i enp0s31f6 
driver: e1000e
version: 5.10.0-18-rt-amd64
firmware-version: 0.8-4
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:00:1f.6

BIOS:
EIST, hyperthreading, virtualization disabled
Everything under Advanced->Intel Manageability disabled
Only C1 enabled (but enabling C1E and C3 as well makes no difference)

Running 5.10 kernel:
$ uname -a
Linux lathe 5.10.0-18-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 5.10.140-1 (2022-09-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux

With 1 glxgears and one YT video running I get "hm2/hm2_7i96s.0: Smart Serial port 0: DoIt not cleared from previous servo thread" and/or the error finishing read almost instantly - in fact this screenshot was a bit tricky to get since things fail so fast:

Same test but with 4.19 kernel:
$ uname -a
Linux lathe 4.19.0-22-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.260-1 (2022-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here I don't get any DoIt or error finishing read messages during the minutes I had it running.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Oct 2022 18:42 #254712 by arvidb
I get the impression the problem has to do with graphics: without the YT video and glxgears running things seems a lot more stable even on the 5.10 kernel (but perhaps not stable enough, haven't tested thoroughly). I notice I get spikes on shifting focus between windows for example (this of course can be noticed with latency-histogram as well for example).

Looking into /var/log/Xorg.0.log I find this info about my graphics card (and driver?):
(II) modeset(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)

More
21 Oct 2022 18:48 #254715 by PCW
Right, but 5.10 works OK on my 8300
That's why I was asking about bensttech's 8300,
as it seems possible to run 5.X kernels without these huge
latency spikes. That is, what is the difference between my
8300 and bensstechs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
21 Oct 2022 19:01 #254719 by arvidb
Ah, I see. Yes that's interesting! Perhaps you two should have a video call or something to try to figure that out. Barring obvious differences in hardware there is also the possibility of different firmware versions affecting things. Package name firmware-linux I think, as well as maybe intel-microcode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
21 Oct 2022 21:38 #254727 by rodw

I doubt it will become standard, ever, as it has to stop plenty of functions used for power saving, and since the era of PC domination is over, laptops and tablets rule now.
Using Preempt-RT on laptops a lot, so i know they use much more power and heat a lot more with it. On most when RT is in use running LinuxCNC the processor will remain at max speed (not turbo) all the time.

I don't know. This article says otherwise.
www.phoronix.com/news/520-Maybe-Real-Time-PREEMPT_RT

Progress was slowed due to lack of funds, but Intel bought the main developer so there is progress again... and the number of patches are steadilly diminishing as the code is pushet to the main line kernel. Its very close.

More
21 Oct 2022 21:43 #254729 by rodw

Right, but 5.10 works OK on my 8300
That's why I was asking about bensttech's 8300,
as it seems possible to run 5.X kernels without these huge
latency spikes. That is, what is the difference between my
8300 and bensstechs?

When I looked around for a used 8300, there were two types. Conventional desktop and an All in one. I wonder if that is the difference?

More
21 Oct 2022 22:08 #254731 by tommylight
Public announcement, Tower, mini tower, midi tower, SFF, USSF, etc with the same model number, will have differences in electronics on their boards, even the chipset will most likely not be the same diferentiated by a h, or m, or ex, or ......
At one point in time, intel had 14 of the "same" chipset with the same model number but different letters at the end, differences being in bus speed (back then normal), to power consumption (this is still very relevant), built in raid, 2 or 4 or 6 sata, usb 2/3 ports, etc etc.
Slowly but surely forgetting all that cr@p Intel did.
They did good things too, they pushed the power saving on Linux forward as it was terrible 20 years ago, they pushed the "boot in under 10 seconds" from a bloody CD rom, etc.
short version:
same model = not same performance for some things

More
21 Oct 2022 22:10 - 21 Oct 2022 22:14 #254732 by JPL

When I looked around for a used 8300, there were two types. Conventional desktop and an All in one. I wonder if that is the difference?

Well, actually there are 5 types: All-in -one with touch, All-in one without touch.  Desktop 'tower', Slim desktop, and ultra slim (USDT). There's actually quite a bit of difference between the USDT and the desktops. Then there's also many possible microprocessors that can be used for any of those.

(Gee, Tommy beat me to it...)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2022 22:14 by JPL.

More
21 Oct 2022 22:20 #254735 by tommylight

(Gee, Tommy beat me to it...)

Sowwyyyy ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPL

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds