Hardinge HNC retrofit and where to start

More
17 Jul 2012 15:13 #22090 by bobinater
o.k. How about I just go with what you guys say is the best for the hnc

I would like to keep the spindle the way it is and keep the x & z axis resolvers

and as much of the original electronics (providing it works) as possible.

Andy I just thought a pendant would be nice to have but not required. not so much into the whole

game controller so don't really want one on my lathe (just preference nothing personal)

I would like to have constant surface speed (requirement)

so what do you guys think will be the best combination and I will get the goodies on order

Thanks

Bob

Will upload more pics this P.M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2012 15:35 #22092 by bobinater
Andy

I think all I would want in the pendant would be remote jog and possibly

feed and speed overide and E-stop

Bob

More
17 Jul 2012 15:57 #22096 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

so what do you guys think will be the best combination and I will get the goodies on order.

I think you would need to count up how much IO you need, and at what voltages and currents first.

It may be that the Pico boards suit your requirements, though I suspect that 3 channels of Resolver cards at $150 each probably pushes the price a lot higher than a Mesa system.
(I feel guilty that I always seem to end up suggesting the hardware that I know, from Mesa, and not anything from Pico. I feel less guilty about Motenc etc as they don't offer such direct support to LinuxCNC.)

My current build is using a number of smart-serial devices including a 7i64 which is a rather expensive board, but has 24 inputs and 24 outputs, all rated at 48V and with 2.5A rating on the outputs. They are all completely isolated too, so can run from different voltages, and can switch/sense either high-side or low side. However, that is a $200 board that needs a $70 adapter card. You would need the same adapter to add a 7i73 pendant card.

I think the starting list for a Mesa setup would be the 5i23 and 7i49. (I don't think that the 5i20 has enough FPGA resources for the Resolver firmware).
If you don't already have a PC, then the Intel D525 would be the one to go for. it's cheap compact, low-power and known-good with LinuxCNC.

The rest of the requirements come down to how many switches, relays etc you need to control at what voltages/currents. I think I saw a big array of solid-state relays, so they can all be easily switched with any doughter board, or even by direct connection to the 5i23 headers. (if brave)

More
17 Jul 2012 15:59 #22097 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

I think all I would want in the pendant would be remote jog and possibly
feed and speed overide and E-stopb

That could be done without a specific interface board. it sounds like a 5-position switch, a manual pulse generator and an e-stop button, so 12 wires using 9 digital input lines.

More
17 Jul 2012 16:18 #22100 by BigJohnT
bobinater wrote:

Andy I just thought a pendant would be nice to have but not required. not so much into the whole
game controller so don't really want one on my lathe (just preference nothing personal)

I would like to have constant surface speed (requirement)

Will upload more pics this P.M.

CSS will need encoder feedback from the spindle. On my CHNC I have the MPG and a few switches like start, pause, collet open, collet close, axis select, and jog increment.

gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge-10.xhtml

John

More
17 Jul 2012 16:58 #22102 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

bobinater wrote:

CSS will need encoder feedback from the spindle

CSS is fine without feedback. Feed-per-rev and threading need feedback though.
However, I think someone said that there was a third resolver on the spindle.

More
17 Jul 2012 17:10 #22103 by bobinater
andy

I do think that is the case on the third resolver, I have not taken the cover off of the resolver on the spindle but I am pretty sure that is what it is

what is the average cost of the d525 pc and where should I buy one.

Bob

More
17 Jul 2012 17:18 #22105 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

what is the average cost of the d525 pc and where should I buy one.

I assume you are in the US, so a UK source is no good.

Try www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442
Then maybe www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227510
and probably www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-90

More
17 Jul 2012 22:46 - 17 Jul 2012 23:02 #22108 by JR1050
The spindle has a resolver and a pulsecoder,which is 12v,so you really want to replace the both with a single encoder.If you want a handwheel ,you will need an encoder input for that also.You could get a 5i23(i think) a 7i33 and a resolver board and keep your resolvers,which are admittingly more robust then encoders.You will still need some sort of i/o.The machine with out any operator interface is about 16 inputs,10 ac out puts and about 6 dc ouputs.You could use encoder to resolver boards.You would be WAY ahead of the game to buy some inexpensive encoders,a 5i20,a7i33.You then would have two 50 pin connectors available for i/o.

If you want to keep the stock amps and ditch the refridgerator size cab,you will to add an auxillary cab on the back of the machine.You will have to replace the for/rev contact system with some sort of VFD.Trying to integrate the vari drive and brake is an exercise in aggrivation.

An HNC was a a NC machine,not a cnc.Trying to find some one who can still fix the 550t is also an exercise in paitence.If it was me,id buy some used amps for 150 each,a ac motor for 300,a vfd for 500 and encoders for 300 or so.You will beat your head against the wall using all that old stuff.You would no longer need a mechanical spindle brake,you can add a braking unit and use the braking function in the drive.

Below are pics of my cabinents.The wiring on the i/o is a bit messy.Hopefully most of it will be replaced with a usb cable....

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 23:02 by JR1050. Reason: bad pic

More
17 Jul 2012 23:03 #22109 by JR1050
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds