Hardinge HNC retrofit and where to start

More
22 Jul 2012 18:27 #22325 by BigJohnT
Is it in feed hold when e-b is closed or open? Does anything light up on the drives at all?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2012 22:44 #22326 by bobinater
John

it is my understanding that when b-e are jumped it bypasses the feed hold, I have nothing lighting up on the servos and no indication of power on the control except the cooling fans.

help?

Bob

More
23 Jul 2012 00:46 #22330 by PCW
Do you have the HiAk drive specifications are at least a diagram?
You may have something global missing like no +-15 power

More
23 Jul 2012 00:47 #22331 by jmelson
bobinater wrote:

Sorrry i posted my last update in the wrong thread.

I got the HI AK's powered up on my lathe and jumpered pins b-e and applied 1.5v across pins g-h

but got no movement on either servo, is there any way to bypass the servo and at least test the motor and make sure that is working< at this point I think I will have to buy drivers for the resolver motors if they are O>K>

thanks all

Bob

Just connect a D cell to the motor, it should move slowly (assuming these are permanent
magnet field motors, if they are wound field, then you need to apply appropriate
voltage to the fields, as marked on the motor.)

I wouldn't spend much time trying to bring the Hi-Ak drives back to life. A guy
here in town tried to do the same, and kept having problems with them. He
finally got some Copley amps on eBay and those are working well. The connectors
on the Hi-Ak are prone to corrosion, and once that has set in, you'll never get
a reliable contact between the boards and the power transistors.

But, the typical Hi-Ak has a safety contactor that disconnects the motor, and
an enable pin to the amp, which may need to get the 90 V from the motor supply
to enable it.

Jon

More
24 Jul 2012 15:09 - 24 Jul 2012 15:09 #22404 by bobinater
I got the axis motors to move by using my 18v cordless drill battery and some jumper leads that I made

both work great and are very quiet, I did check all the fuses on the machine 550 cab and did not find any with

problems I am thinking at this point that I have bad drives or something is still not right with the 550 control.

thats probably why they got rid of it.

Now on to the spindle. I saw J.R.s post and will watch for reply about how to get it running without a control input

meantime i will work on getting the brake to release so I can turn it by hand

Bob
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 15:09 by bobinater. Reason: spelling

More
02 Aug 2012 03:07 #22664 by bobinater
Hello again all

Got some more done on the hnc, and as usual have more questions, 1. does anybody know how to get the brake and clutch released so I can test the spindle, I can not get any voltage from the 24v power supply or the 5v power supply, also no power from the 12v power supply the only things that power up in the cabinet are the cooling fans and the rybett cam store on top of the 550 control. (BOAT ANCHOR). I am also curious if anybody would be interested in testing my HI-AK's if I send them to you maybe someone could slave them into their HNC and see if they work. If not I am only out the freight if they do work I will pay the freight both ways. Unless any one has any ideas for a driver that I can use with the motors and resolvers that I have which are original to the lathe, am I right that i will need to get a resolver converter board anyway?

and I am ready to purchase the cards that I need if someone could recommend what I would best be served with I would greatly appreciate it. Remember that I am new to linux but not to CNC and lastly what should I do about a PC for the retrofit I have a couple of old tower systems that I c ould have a friend install UBUNTU
and run latency test for me.

Let me know what you think

as always all input is appreciated

Bob B) [img]

More
02 Aug 2012 10:20 #22667 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

Got some more done on the hnc, and as usual have more questions, 1. does anybody know how to get the brake and clutch released so I can test the spindle, I can not get any voltage from the 24v power supply or the 5v power supply, also no power from the 12v power supply

This sounds like the first thing to sort out, you might find that the whole system wakes up when the power supplies are live (and come up in the right sequence).

Unless any one has any ideas for a driver that I can use with the motors and resolvers that I have which are original to the lathe, am I right that i will need to get a resolver converter board anyway?

If replacing the drives it becomes more difficult to decide what the best approach is. I confess to a fondness for resolvers, they are a very good type of transducer, but the way that yours are mounted means that it would be relatively easy to swap them to encoders. It then comes down to a decision between resolver-input drives, resolver converters, or swapping to encoders.
If I recall correctly the motors are brushed DC servos, so there are many possible choices of servo amps. I would be tempted to keep an eye out on eBay for a matched pair.
For example www.ebay.com/itm/180942705173
is www.baldor.com/products/motioncontrol/tsd.asp. eBay 120960114348 is an identical new unit for $1000, so the first one is a bargain if it stays at $10
Actually, if 50v / 5A is somewhere near the spec you need I think I would be tempted by those if they go for that price (I suspect that your motors may be somewhat larger). The direct line-voltage input is a major simplification and +/-10V with tacho feedback is a good fit.

and I am ready to purchase the cards that I need if someone could recommend what I would best be served with I would greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately I don't think many of us are too keen to do that. Jon and PCW run Pico and Mesa respectively, so like to remain impartial at this stage. I only know Mesa hardware so can't give a balanced opinion.

lastly what should I do about a PC for the retrofit I have a couple of old tower systems

Make a copy of the liveCD, boot the machines off of that and see which give the best latency test results:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/install/Latency_Test.html

More
02 Aug 2012 12:01 #22674 by BigJohnT
bobinater wrote:

Got some more done on the hnc, and as usual have more questions, 1. does anybody know how to get the brake and clutch released so I can test the spindle, I can not get any voltage from the 24v power supply or the 5v power supply, also no power from the 12v power supply the only things that power up in the cabinet are the cooling fans and the rybett cam store on top of the 550 control. (BOAT ANCHOR).

My CHNC doesn't have a clutch but I assume my brake is similar to yours and is air operated. If that is the case just connect air to the brake and it will release.

Does the dc power supply have voltage on the input side? If so disconnect the output and test again for 24vdc. Mine had a short in the turret encoder that pulled the 24vdc buss down... as soon as I disconnected the output from the power supply it came to life.

John

More
02 Aug 2012 14:16 #22680 by bobinater
Thanks big John

I am going to keep an eye on the driver on e-bay and I will try the disconnect trick on the power supplies I will retest to see if I have input power

tonight when I get home. Can I download the live cd from this forum or do I need to get it somewhere else? BTW AFAIK the brake and clutch on my lathe are both electric and seem to run from a 15 v power supply that is in the cabinet on the headstock end of the lathe.

thanks for the recommendations

Bob

More
02 Aug 2012 15:16 #22681 by andypugh
bobinater wrote:

Can I download the live cd from this forum or do I need to get it somewhere else?

It's the "download" link in the column to the left over there <--

But here is a direct link too: www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/download/21/

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds