Retrofit cnc 3axis

More
20 Sep 2022 05:58 #252379 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Retrofit cnc 3axis
You need to connect one lead of the voltmeter to GROUND and the other lead to your signal.
So to start out connect the voltmeter leads to pin13 and pin25 of the db25 connector you should read 24V. If you read -24V then switch the leads around.
In order to know what voltage your motor drives expect you need to connect the pc and enable the machine then you can measure the voltage of pin 5 AX_ON on db25 (ie one test lead to Ground (pin13) the other lead to pin 5)
To measure the voltage of the DIR pins move the lead from pin5 to pin14 DIRX and jog the X axis first one way and then the other way. You should see a voltage change when you change the direction.
To measure resistance or continuity anywhere you want the pc / controller to be switched off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2022 15:43 #252407 by clayd_lopunk
Replied by clayd_lopunk on topic Retrofit cnc 3axis
Fine now it's more clearer to me. I will try as soon as possible, with my fingers crossed. Thank you Aciera!!!

More
22 Sep 2022 16:51 #252574 by clayd_lopunk
I have performed the tests but without a satisfactory result. I did the first test with pins 13 and 25. The voltmeter at 20 measures 2.8 / 3.8V if I set it to 2 mi it gives a value of 10/11 or -1 but it doesn't reach 24.
I did the tests on the male db25 cable next to the db9 that comes out of the machine and goes to the pc. I also tried to test it in a mirrored way in case the schematic pinout was the other way around. Could it be that the signals are at 5v? If I have a 3.8V result does it mean that the ground is in that pin anyway? Also, to do the other tests with the axes enabled, do I have to open the cable socket and test the pins from behind? If I disconnect the db25 from the pc, the machine gives an error before enabling the axes.
I enclose the tests

Thanks Alex
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2022 18:10 #252576 by Aciera

Could it be that the signals are at 5v?

Yes, as a matter of fact that is what I expected to come from the PC but the "24V" in the pinout of db25 on the schematics made me wonder if maybe the PC card is switching 24V coming from the controller.

If I have a 3.8V result does it mean that the ground is in that pin anyway? 

Not necessarily. What you could try is to use the ohmmeter to see if a pin on the db25 connector is connected to the case of the controller as the Ground might well be connected to the body of the controller, the pc and or the machine. Remember to only use the ohmmeter with the controller/pc switched off.

to do the other tests with the axes enabled, do I have to open the cable socket and test the pins from behind? 

Yes, you need to find a way to probe with everything connected.

More
22 Sep 2022 19:55 #252584 by clayd_lopunk
How do I with the ohmmeter actually find where the ground is? Do I connect one end by testing each of the DB25 pins and put the other in contact with the iron of the machine cabinet or the machine itself? Always without electricity to measure resistance and continuity. For the other tests I will use the alligator clips m / f so I make the jumper with the wire and I can test and reverse calmly. But first I have to find where I have the right ground?

Thanks for your big help Aciera

More
23 Sep 2022 06:17 #252603 by Aciera

Do I connect one end by testing each of the DB25 pins and put the other in contact with the iron of the machine cabinet or the machine itself?

Yes, if you find a pin with continuity make sure to switch the meters leads around and check that pin again.

More
23 Sep 2022 07:12 #252605 by clayd_lopunk
Ok I found the two ground but on db 9; it is grounded with the cabinet as you told me. Pins 5 and 9 give me a continuity result (0.01) and it rings, with the red bell function on the multimeter.
On the others of db 25 and db9 I have values ​​on 1600/1900.
Now the next test is to find the pin to enable the axes? With the machine on and the axes enabled, do I have to make ground on pin ground 5 or 9 of the db9 and find the pin of the axes on the db25?

I enclose the result.
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2022 07:57 - 23 Sep 2022 08:01 #252606 by Aciera
Good, now with that result you can permanently attach the meters ground lead to the case or the ground pins and probe the other pins with the other lead.
What you want to look for is changes in voltage on the individual pins. ie the pin to enable the motor drives may change from ~5V to ~0V (or from ~0V to ~5V) when you enable the motors.
Same for the DIR pins when you change the direction of an axis. Same again for the toolchanger functions. The STEP pins will show a voltage somewhere between 0..5V during jogging of the axis as the meter will be reading an average of a rectangular signal.

edit:
You want to note down if the change is from 0 to 5 or the other way around to activate a function as that will be important later.
function active when pin is 0V -> active low
function active when pin is 5V -> active high
Last edit: 23 Sep 2022 08:01 by Aciera.

More
23 Sep 2022 09:40 - 23 Sep 2022 09:44 #252610 by clayd_lopunk
Perfect, then I will proceed with the tests as soon as the sockets arrive which I can test with while the cables are connected. Otherwise I try to see if I can from inside the cabinet. I measure all the pins coinciding with its activation on the PC with the two extremes of the tester. One with a fixed mass to cabinet and the other that varies according to what I operate. Great thanksp.s:
What wires should I buy to bridge the two sockets that i would buy, I have seen many acronyms.
Are 18AWG 0.8mm² good for connect db25 male to db25 female with clamp?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2022 09:44 by clayd_lopunk.

More
23 Sep 2022 14:48 #252618 by Aciera
0.8mm is fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: clayd_lopunk

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds