Please Help - How to Configure a 5 Axis Head-Head

More
05 Aug 2023 19:52 - 05 Aug 2023 19:53 #277045 by IronManDylan
I am trying to install Probe Basic GUI, but I am not having any success.  Seems like no one has really figured it out on Bookworm yet? I am getting a weird error when I try to update python.  I attached an image.  I don't understand why a probe gui wasn't installed with my initial installation of LCNC?  Seems really weird that it wouldn't go right ahead and install it? Unless I am missing it somewhere... 

Is there another probe system that works in place of Probe Basic? 
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 19:53 by IronManDylan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2023 20:02 - 06 Aug 2023 00:40 #277046 by tommylight
There is Probe Basic and Basic Probe, and frankly i can not come up with a better name for one of those, so feel free to chime in with a name.
Probe Basic should be the QtPyVCP GUI made by Kurt, LcVete and TurBoss and some other members here, it looks very nice and has probing and ATC stuff incuded to a certain point. This would be really nice NOT to be called probe basic anymore, it deserves a propper name.
Basic probe is a probing addon for Axis or GmoccaPy GUI's.
Edit:
See this as there is some wrong info here about "probe" and "basic"
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ead?start=120#277053
Last edit: 06 Aug 2023 00:40 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronManDylan

More
05 Aug 2023 20:25 #277049 by IronManDylan
Thanks tommy, I got probe basic installed using this link kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html 

I've attached a photo as this GUI does not fit on my laptop screen.  Also need to adjust jitter too. Do you think I should install Basic Probe? Would be nice just to have another window in Axis.  I do not have ATC..
Attachments:

More
05 Aug 2023 20:48 #277053 by rodw
 Just forget about Probe basic as it not part of Linuxcnc. (It's built on QTPYVCP) The installation process is difficult because of changes to Python means it can only be run inside a virual Python Environment.

Instead, install  qtdragon (Its based on QTVCP)  It has amazing documentation aind features. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/gui/qtdragon.html It offers full probe support using a choice of 2 methods:
basic probe - which is inspired by probe basic the gui probing functions
versa probe - which is inspired by a probing addon by user verser from this thread. forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...k-with-probe?start=0 it can be added as a side panel to axis.

Now to clear up Tommy's misunderstandings
basic probe has never been a side panel to axis. It's part of qtdragon. That is the only place you will find it.
the probing by versa is called Probe Screen V2 as per his github repo linked to in the forum thread above. github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2 

There is only one GUI with probing that is part of linuxcnc and that is qtdragon, so please support it, If you find an error in it report it in the QTVCP section of the forum. forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp

For some reason the work with probe thread (Probe Screen V2) has had a lot of activity recently after languising for some time due to only running on Python 2. It's a shame they did not adopt qtdragon and focus their efforts there 

More
05 Aug 2023 21:00 #277055 by IronManDylan
Rodw 
Okay yeah, even though I got probe basic installed it needs more setup and is literally so jumbled on my small screen that it is unusable. 

Versa probe is what I want! It looks like qtdragon is already installed on my laptop, as I have some of those sample configs already.  I am going to try to install versa probe now. Thank you

More
05 Aug 2023 21:06 #277056 by rodw
Installing versa probe is covered in the qtdragon docs I shared, You just need to change one line in your ini file.

Note that probe basic requires a 1080p monitor. so likely would not work for you. Qtdragon has a couple of versions  for different screen sizes and it says that the Non HD version will scale to different sizes. This did not work well for me. I ended up upgrading to a 15.6 inch 1080p monitor to run qtdragon_hd

More
05 Aug 2023 21:21 - 05 Aug 2023 21:33 #277057 by IronManDylan
rodw
Okay, but with versa probe I should not need a larger monitor right? It will just fit in the axis gui? I tried install via the direction in the top of the thread.  Got the following error.  Let me try with the qtdragon docs.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 21:33 by IronManDylan.

More
05 Aug 2023 21:34 - 05 Aug 2023 21:39 #277058 by IronManDylan
Rod 
Is the "one line" you're referring to :

[PROBE]
USE_PROBE = versaprobe

I added that to my ini file, it launched without any errors, but does not have a probing window...   Maybe qtdragon isn't installed despite being available as a sample config

Note and edit: I am using the axis GUI. You stated that this should work on wither gui, but does it need specail considerations for AXIS?
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 21:39 by IronManDylan.

More
05 Aug 2023 22:58 - 05 Aug 2023 23:06 #277066 by IronManDylan
Rod
Sorry, I was confused, but I think I see what you're saying now.  I could either "update" to qtdragon gui and use the versA probe there.  Or I can keep with the AXIS gui and use probe_screen_v2 and use the versER probe.  

So I have followed the directions on the probe_screen_v2 link you have sent me and have gotten the attached error. Seems like there is an issue with the python files that the link provided.  Which seems odd.  I downloaded a different version of python for the probe basic.  Could that be causing issues? I'm gonna try looking through these files, but I am not a coder so I am kinda just stabbing around in the dark. 

I can try switching to qtdragon if you all think that is easier, but I would be worried how that would play with Acieras kinematics file.  Is this a concern? 

edit: qtdragon is really a much much nicer looking gui, plus I still cannot see the bottom of my axis gui.  So I wouldn't mind swithing over to this, I just don't want to cause a cascade of ensuing issue

edit2: the different version of python I downloaded was python3 QtPyVCP.  I guess you're saying this is in a virtual python environment, so perhaps it should not effect anything
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 23:06 by IronManDylan.

More
05 Aug 2023 23:54 - 05 Aug 2023 23:59 #277069 by IronManDylan
I've backed everything up and am going to try for qtdragon now.  Btw, maybe that error was coming from having two different SUBROUTINE_PATHs ?

Edit: crap, qtdragon isn't going to be set up for 5 axis and TCP is it? 
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 23:59 by IronManDylan.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds