Please Help - How to Configure a 5 Axis Head-Head

More
07 Aug 2023 15:13 #277243 by IronManDylan
probe update:
I followed the directions I found here: github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2.8
This seem to incorporate the 'psng' and python files that you were suggesting.  
But I am still getting the attached error.  I have added my config file as reference. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2023 15:27 - 07 Aug 2023 15:59 #277245 by IronManDylan
Update
Probe menu does seem to be working! Also, probe signal appears to be coming through, at least for probing z, will need to mess with it longer to make sure there aren't any bugs.  The issue I was having is that the 'psng' folder did not have all the needed files in it, once I updated those it began to work :)

Now if we can get this spindle timer thing working I should have a fully functional machine :)

edit: the probe rapid speed is inane though. Definitely makes me feel like I’m going to crash the machine. And adjusting rapid override doesn’t seem to help. I wonder if that is due to it being written for mm and/or if there’s a way to adjust this speed in the software somewhere 
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2023 15:59 by IronManDylan.

More
07 Aug 2023 16:33 #277252 by tommylight
You had spindle.at-speed on one of the configs, Aciera remarked that to be changed to spindle.0.at-speed as you have done, so that is OK.
I do not understand why use timedelay for spindle stuff, although as far as i can see you are trying to use it to set the spindle.0.at-speed to true after a certain time, and that might also be OK.
But, does the spindle have an encoder that is connected to Mesa board?
If yes, no timedelay of any kind, but might need the "near" component.
If no, you can just set the spindle.0.at-speed in hal with
setp spindle.0.at-speed true
Now, if there is no encoder and you want to add a timedelay so the spindle can get up to speed, that is all good and dandy, but you can achieve the same thing in gcode with G04 P5, that will pause motion for 5 seconds after the spindle is started with M3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronManDylan

More
07 Aug 2023 17:58 #277259 by Aciera
Regarding Probe Speed:
Note that you probably need to adjust the settings in the ini file. I don't know but I assume those will need to be in your machine units (ie inch) in your case:
[PROBE_SCREEN]
# Offset from [AXIS_Z]MAX_LIMIT for performing moves during various probe
# screen movements. This must be a negative number.
Z_SAFE_TRAVEL_OFFSET = -0.1

[TOOLSENSOR]
# Absolute coordinates of the toolsetter pad
X = 10
Y = 10
# Absolute Z start search coordinates
Z = 60
# Maximum search distance and direction (sign)
MAXPROBE = -60
# Speed of movements during working in Probe Screen
RAPID_SPEED = 600
# Diameter of toolsetter pad
TS_DIAMETER = 10
# The speed of the reverse rotation of the spindle when measuring the tool diameter
REV_ROTATION_SPEED = 2000

[CHANGE_POSITION]
# Absolute coordinates of the tool change point
X = 10
Y = 10
Z = 60
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronManDylan

More
07 Aug 2023 19:40 - 07 Aug 2023 19:48 #277269 by IronManDylan
Aciera
It appears to be in units/min.  At least changing it seemed modify it to inches/min.

But now there is another problem.  I cannot upload gcode.  For the life of me idk why adding a probe module to Axis would make it so that I cannot upload gcode.  But I am getting the error 'KeyError: 'change_e'' when I try to upload gcode.  Same thing with the gcode that tried to autoload upon opening axis.  Image of error is attached.  I will also attach the gcode file so that you can look at that. 

Tommy
I believe Rodw said what you attributed to Aciera unless I have missed a message somewhere.  My spindle does not have an encoder or VFD feedback.  Ie there is no spindle speed feedback of any kind.  I just want a delay to allow time for the spindle to spin up.  I have set the pin you are referring to to spindle.0.at-speed.  When I do so I get an error stating that spindle.0.at-speed is already linked to spindle-at-speed.  When I comment out that line (#net spindle-at-speed => spindle.0.at-speed) I am able to get the configuration to launch.  I have tried all this before but this time I was still able to control the spindle through MDI which last time I was not able to (maybe I forgot to have the VFD turned on last time).  Last time I got to this point I tried to run gcode and did not get the delay I was looking for.  Perhaps the delay time is in microseconds and not seconds? I am unable to run gcode to test right now. 

G04 P5 would be fine too if I can get the post processor to add these lines.  I send out so much gcode I will forget to do it and crash the machine if I have to do it manually...

edit: so now it seems like the machine can do (almost) everything it needs to do except the one thing that it absolutely has to do haha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2023 19:48 by IronManDylan.

More
07 Aug 2023 19:52 #277270 by rodw
You need to understand the difference between a pin and a signal.
Think of a pin being a pin on a chip on an electronic circuit
The signal is the wire or trace attached to that pin.
Just simply attaching a wire to a pin is meaningless if the other end is not connected somewhere
So the default config has connected the wire/signal spindle-at-speed to pin spindle.0.at-speed
but it is up to you to connect the other end of the wire to the originating pin.

In my case I use a RS485 connection to a my VFD to control my spindle and it provides an at-speed pin.
I have not used a 0-10 volt spindle control so I don't want to advise you here. But take the time to review all of the spindle pins
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/man/man9/moti....html#SPINDLE%20PINS
Note that some are RPM (rev/min) and others are rev/sec
I believe one approach is to use the near compinent linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/man/man9/near.9.html
to compare commanded speed  with actual speed where near.n.difference sets how far away from the requested speed.

Aciera, as stated in another thread, please get the probe terminology right. if its not a QT config, its probe screen as I mentioned in the work with probe thread. I define the various probe methods here forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/49653-error-w...point?start=0#276661
The following user(s) said Thank You: besriworld

More
07 Aug 2023 20:07 #277274 by Aciera
Ok, fixed the terminology, thanks.

Regarding the error when loading a gcode file I'll have to see if I get that on my test machine as well tomorrow. Although if I recall correctly then my sim config auto loads a demo gcode and I don't think I got any errors.

Can you please post your current compressed machine config where the error occurs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
07 Aug 2023 20:20 #277275 by IronManDylan
Aciera 
Apparently the file is too large even when zipped, idk how it got so large.  Try this google docs link and let me know if it works for you: drive.google.com/file/d/1L3hDe-gguBDeSKf...qnB/view?usp=sharing

I hope we can figure it out.  I feel we are so close. 

rodw
I understand what you are saying about trace and pin.  But shouldn't that be what the modified code for delay is doing? 

More
07 Aug 2023 20:31 - 07 Aug 2023 20:38 #277277 by Aciera
Are you using an Apple machine to compress your folder?

[edit]
Reason I'm asking is that there are a whole bunch of file copies like '._<filename>' in the archive which basically doubles the size. This seems to stem from an apple way of doing things.
So if you are indeed compressing your folder on a mac then please use the linux procedure instead:

Right click on the config folder and choose 'create archive' or maybe 'compress' (I forget what bookworm uses)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2023 20:38 by Aciera.

More
07 Aug 2023 20:50 #277281 by rodw

rodw
I understand what you are saying about trace and pin.  But shouldn't that be what the modified code for delay is doing? 

Clearly your delay isn't doing anything or things would move.
spindle-at-speed needs to be connected at both ends. You've only shown one end.
Show me where this delay is connecting a source pin to spindle-at-speed and we might be able to help.

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds