Tandem Y Axis not working on 7i76E

More
09 Nov 2023 22:40 #284987 by tommylight

Let me ask, is there a chance that I may have inadvertently miss-wired one of the two Y-Axis motors? I think that is what I am reading into
this mess.

Does not matter at all, the motors are working so all is good.
The only thing you have missed/skipped is checking if the direction is correct on both Y.
-
Someone should do a "initial tests after wiring and powering on and before trying to run the machine" ... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gardenweazel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2023 15:28 #285032 by gardenweazel

The only thing you have missed/skipped is checking if the direction is correct on both Y.

If this is the case wouldn't it be much easier to swap one motor DIR+ and DIR- at the connection of the 7i76E ??

Someone should do a "initial tests after wiring and powering on and before trying to run the machine"

I thought that's what we're doing here?    

More
10 Nov 2023 17:01 #285034 by tommylight

If this is the case wouldn't it be much easier to swap one motor DIR+ and DIR- at the connection of the 7i76E ??

Probably, if you have them wired as differential, should work.
I find it much easier to change the scale in the ini file than to mess with wiring inside a very small box with lots of wires. :)

More
10 Nov 2023 21:26 #285053 by gardenweazel
Ok, more info:

In the mean time, make another config, chose only stepgens, no switches, no homing, nothing but stepgens, select stepgen 2 AND stepgen 3 as Y axis, not tandem, save, start the config, use the keyboard to jog and check:
left arrow = X axis goes left
Right arrow = X axis goes right
Carefully bellow
up arrow = gantry moves away from you
down arrow = gantry moves towards you
Do both Y move in the same direction?
pageUp = z axis moves UP
pageDown = z axis moves down

I created a new profile and here's what happened. Both X and Z moved in the correct direction(s) as advertised above. No problem here.

When it came to the Y-Axis, only one side moved and it moved as expected in the + and - directions. So, we're moving in the right directions.
Interesting, when I swapped the stepgens in PNCCONF for the Y-Axis the issue followed. Only one side moved however it was the opposing side this time that moved.

More
10 Nov 2023 21:56 #285054 by gardenweazel
Adding a WinMerge screenshot, not sure if this will help since there was no homing setup on the NON-TANDEM side.

Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2023 22:10 #285058 by tommylight
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2023 23:30 #285061 by gardenweazel
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2023 23:52 #285063 by tommylight
next,next,next... save and run, just do a jog for Y axis and see if they both move in the same direction.

More
11 Nov 2023 15:27 #285106 by gardenweazel

I created a new profile and here's what happened. Both X and Z moved in the correct direction(s) as advertised above. No problem here.

When it came to the Y-Axis, only one side moved and it moved as expected in the + and - directions. So, we're moving in the right directions.
Interesting, when I swapped the stepgens in PNCCONF for the Y-Axis the issue followed. Only one side moved however it was the opposing side this time that moved.

Please see above. Only one Y-Axis moves. The other one didn't move until I re-ran PNCCONF and swapped the two Y-Axis stepgens and then 
the opposing Y-Axis ran but not the previous. So basically, only one Y-Axis would move.

More
11 Nov 2023 17:27 #285119 by tommylight
Strange, it should move both.
Let us have a look at hal and ini for this test setup...

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds