Work with probe

More
18 Dec 2021 01:31 #229364 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic Work with probe
I measure my probe by bringing my spindle nose down to just touch the top of my vice jaw and recorded that Z value. I then put the 3D probe in and probed the top of the vice jaw and recorded the3 Z value. Then the difference between those to numbers was the length of my probe. I am using TTS tool holders for most of my tools. I do a few that I don't use often enough to warrant a dedicated tool holder. Those and drills are the ones that get measured during the job.

When I get a new tool that I am putting in a dedicated holder I use a GCode file that measures the tool using the tool setter and writes the length to the tool table.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2021 01:37 #229366 by JohnnyCNC
I know the probe must be tool 99 but i don't remember if the length is recorded in the tool table or somewhere else. I'll have a look and report back. I know this whole project made my head hurt and if it weren't for the work of others that I started with I don't know if I would every have gotten it to all work.

More
18 Dec 2021 02:37 #229372 by JohnnyCNC
Here are my files.  I store the probe length in parameter #5162 in the linuxcnc.var file.
You will have to remove the extra .txt extension from two file to get back to the original file names.  I had to add that to make the forum system happy.

File Attachment:

File Name: probe_z_mi...2-17.ngc
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: m6remap_20...2-17.ngc
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.var.txt
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: M6-Remap.docx.txt
File Size:15 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: itsme

More
18 Dec 2021 03:04 #229376 by JohnnyCNC

I don't know for sure, but I wonder if he sets the 3d probe as a tool number and sets a Z offset for it. That offset would be set at the table surface (the same surface the tool setter is referenced from) then your 3dprobe is relative to the toolsetter.

What I actually did was to steal G59.3 to store Z0 when the nose of the spindle is on the tool setter.  Then when I measure a tool I use the difference between G59.3 Z0 with the G59.3 tool setter trip point.  That tells me how long the tool sticks out of the spindle.  That number is record as the tool length in the tool table. When I touch off on the stock i record that value in parameter #4001 to #4008 corresponding  to G54 - G59.2.  With that data the tool offset can be calculated during the tool change.

More
18 Dec 2021 06:17 #229383 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Work with probe
Sp many ways to do the same thing :)

I like that you can still use a 3d probe to probe the top surface (different from Gmoccapy style).
Mixing probed and unprobed tools is excellent.
How do you preset repeatable tools? maybe you already said.

I was set on pruducing the gmoccapy/versa style in a python remap for linuxcnc but maybe I'll look at this more first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ikkuh

More
18 Dec 2021 10:25 #229390 by itsme
Replied by itsme on topic Work with probe

Here are my files.  I store the probe length in parameter #5162 in the linuxcnc.var file.
You will have to remove the extra .txt extension from two file to get back to the original file names.  I had to add that to make the forum system happy.

Thank you for the files!
Unfortunately linuxcnc.var.txt does not load, maybe you can add the files as a zip?

More
18 Dec 2021 15:52 #229409 by JohnnyCNC
First, I misspoke.  I store the length in the .ini file.

[PROBE]
LENGTH = 4.027841  <- Adjust this value as needed for your probe.

The only thing to see in the linuxcnc.var file is this.  You need to add the 4001 to 4008 lines to your file while LinuxCNC is not running.  Just use 0.000000 when adding them.  This is where the Z touch-off will be stored for each coordinate system G54 to G59.2.  Adding these to the file makes the values persistent.

4001    -9.902594
4002    -10.541490
4003    -9.413268
4004    0.000000
4005    0.000000
4006    0.000000
4007    0.000000
4008    0.000000

5161    8.526600
5162    3.196200
5163    0.000000

The following user(s) said Thank You: itsme

More
18 Dec 2021 16:00 #229410 by JohnnyCNC

How do you preset repeatable tools?

I have a G-Code file that I run when I want to measure a tool and record the value in the tool table.  I also use a G-Code file to measure the tool setter.   I use inches so those I have tested but I also have files for metric but those have not been tested.''

File Attachment:

File Name: measure_to...2-18.ngc
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Wow,  The editor and quoting doesn't work very well anymore.

Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2021 19:15 - 18 Dec 2021 19:17 #229423 by myval
Replied by myval on topic Work with probe
Yes right, told you I am and idiot that is semi obvious isn't it? I can measure exact tool setter set point easily. Why didn't this click in my noggin at the start.
Thanks mate that is the kick in the bum I needed.

cmorley post=229356 userid=482
I don't know for sure, but I wonder if he sets the 3d probe as a tool number and sets a Z offset for it. That offset would be set at the table surface (the same surface the tool setter is referenced from) then your 3dprobe is relative to the toolsetter.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2021 19:17 by myval.

More
18 Dec 2021 19:29 #229425 by myval
Replied by myval on topic Work with probe
The just touching the spindle on my vice I would like to avoid if possible. Have you seen what damage can 2KW servo do? I actually have and it does not really play nice and friendly game.   I just finished spindle rebuild, I would probably cry if something would go wrong and touched too much.
But the Cmorley's way seems the safest  in my opinion. If I understand it correctly it will give me relative Z difference between actual cutter and 3d probe. I will definitely give this a go both probes are spring loaded so what can go wrong 
I had to move the machine today so it is all disconnected, but when it is all back together I will be researching more.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds