Configuring a Floating Head

More
12 Sep 2020 17:51 #181902 by Aldenflorio
I’m sorry if this is basic or in the wrong category. I have a floating head and switch set up, I also have the proma 150 thc. I planned on using plasmac config (I think that’s its name). I have not set up plasmac yet bc when I started to It suggest you have everything else ready. I have the z axis set to immediate home due to me not having a limit switch for home (I’m using limit switches as shared homes) and since I’m building a plasma cnc there are grates so it can’t always touch off to home.

So I need to configure the floating head without changing the immediate home.

Another issue I’m having. When the floating head switch is triggered then everything stops and it says “error joint 0 limit triggered” or something to that effect.

Linuxcnc 2.9, Mesa 7i96, proma 150 THC. These are my components

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2020 20:56 #181928 by tommylight

When the floating head switch is triggered then everything stops and it says “error joint 0 limit triggered” or something to that effect.

It should say joint 2 or joint 3, not 0, and that is the expected behaviour, but for floating head the switch must be on a separate input from the rest of the home/limit switches.
PlasmaC should be set to mode 2 for Proma, you can use the ArcOK from the Proma but beware that with some plasma cutters that can cause some issues of getting the ArcOK signal before the actual cut has started.
For testing and checking the wiring set the Proma to test mode and check the LED's on the Proma and on screen, make sure they correspond to each other, meaning ArcOK on Proma lights the ArcOK on screen, smae for UP and Down Led's.

More
12 Sep 2020 21:07 - 12 Sep 2020 21:07 #181932 by Aldenflorio
It may be joint 2 or 3, I don’t remember. Ok I’ll install plasmac then
Last edit: 12 Sep 2020 21:07 by Aldenflorio.

More
13 Sep 2020 00:51 - 13 Sep 2020 00:51 #181952 by Aldenflorio
i looked under plasmac and it seems to have recently been updated. Is this guide still correct?

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html
Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 00:51 by Aldenflorio.

More
13 Sep 2020 04:11 #181971 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Configuring a Floating Head

i looked under plasmac and it seems to have recently been updated. Is this guide still correct?

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html

You would be better off using V 2.8 which has just become the official release version of Linuxcnc and it includes Plasmac so the correct docs (for 2.8 are here)
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/

Follow the linkx to Plasmac from there.

More
13 Sep 2020 04:15 - 13 Sep 2020 04:15 #181972 by Aldenflorio

You would be better off using V 2.8 which has just become the official release version of Linuxcnc and it includes Plasmac so the correct docs (for 2.8 are here)
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/

Follow the linkx to Plasmac from there.

Is there any way to downgrade without losing everything? I have most of the process completed
Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 04:15 by Aldenflorio.

More
13 Sep 2020 04:52 #181974 by rodw
yes you can quite easilly. You need to follow the process on the buildbot page to install 2.8
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

I just noticed that it still needs some revisions following the new release.

Maybe keep a copy of your working config just in case.

More
14 Sep 2020 18:43 - 14 Sep 2020 18:43 #182121 by Aldenflorio
Two questions: Is it the same steps if I'm going form 2.9 to 2.8? The site talks about going from 2.7 to 2.8, but i dont see a mention of 2.9 to 2.8. second question: since ther are revisions happening should i wait to go to 2.8?
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 18:43 by Aldenflorio.

More
14 Sep 2020 20:08 #182128 by rodw
Actually I remembered that Phill had prepared a revision for the new release but they are still waiting for the docs to be updated.

Follow this link which also correctly covers 2.8 and 2.9
home.iprimus.com.au/phillcarter/buildbot/index.html

And yes the procedure is the same. Set the deb and deb-src to the correct version and follow the instructions to change.

Version 2.8 is now stable and will only change if bugs are found these should be bundled into a V 2.8.1 release.

More
15 Sep 2020 00:30 #182165 by phillc54

Two questions: Is it the same steps if I'm going form 2.9 to 2.8? The site talks about going from 2.7 to 2.8, but i dont see a mention of 2.9 to 2.8. second question: since ther are revisions happening should i wait to go to 2.8?

If you use packages from the Buildbot then both 2.8 and master will be continually updated. All you need do is the usual:
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
The Buildbot web page has not been updated as yet, a proposed updated page is here

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds