More
10 Dec 2015 19:26 #66756 by tjmarch
Andy
I did mention Gantrykins in post:

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...help?start=110#66666

But that was not a direct conversation with you sorry about confusion

And Thanks for the help
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2015 19:35 #66758 by andypugh

I did mention Gantrykins

If you want to use Gantryjkins then I strongly recommend using the joints-axes branch.

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/49-basic-config...ation?start=20#66683

More
11 Dec 2015 01:54 #66784 by Razor_keen
I again have sad news about the 32 bit rtai on ubuntu. i may be doing something wrong, but i swear its all the same. the results are probably the worst yet. i will keep testing but unless im messing up, this is not a good fit for ubuntu.
Attachments:

More
11 Dec 2015 06:56 #66797 by tjmarch
Jason
I know you are keeping track of the steps you are doing now. May I suggest that when trying a new kernel that you only add one latency saving item at a time then do a test. If that item works out then add another till you find a good fit.
From dealing with Ubuntu desktop with unity added in I think it is a resource hog. There are other flavors of Ubuntu such as Xubuntu which is touted as being a good OS for older computers. Take a look at:

wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors

Have a great weekend
Tim

More
11 Dec 2015 10:53 #66799 by andypugh

I again have sad news about the 32 bit rtai on ubuntu.

Have you tried discussing this on the RTAI mailing list? That is where the expertise will be found.

The whole point of RTAI is that it is meant to take control of the CPU away from the OS, so the latency ought to be the same regardless of whether you are using Ubuntu or Debian or whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razor_keen

More
11 Dec 2015 13:27 #66808 by Razor_keen
Tim
thanks for the sound advise. I woke uo this morning and remembered that when i added the rtai kernel, i may have reloaded the previously removed program, irqbalance. Sure enough, i checked and there it was, reinstalled.
I'll have to try both tests again and see if this had anything to do with it. Its also possible i forgot to reboot after removing it the first time for the rt kernel. I'll amend the to do list adn include a temp file to be created at the beginning to keep the clutter out of the home folder, and optional clean instructions to be run in terminal. Expanded instructions on installing the scripts for the affinity mask, and rearange the order in which some of the functions are performed.

On the immediate to do list is to reread the instructions in linuxcnc on where to make changes to allow the real time kernel to load the isoclpus commands, and others, without having those commands load on all other kernels. If anyone has any experience in doing this id love to hear how well it works, or doesn't.

Andy
Thats most likley where I will be heading next. Is getting to the mailing list as straitfoward as a google search?

ANyones inputs into how to make this better or useful to more people, pls let me know

More
11 Dec 2015 14:09 #66812 by andypugh

Thats most likley where I will be heading next. Is getting to the mailing list as straitfoward as a google search?

www.rtai.org/

Bottom right

More
11 Dec 2015 14:10 #66813 by tjmarch
Jason wrote

instructions in linuxcnc on where to make changes to allow the real time kernel to load the isoclpus commands, and others, without having those commands load on all other kernels.

You can do this with grub-customizer
When you open program the opening screen will list all kernels, right click on entry you want to change
Choose Edit
Click on source tab
Make window full screen
You will see for example

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae root=UUID=ac8eb62f-d849-4cad-b907-6f77bf6ac206 ro quiet splash lapic noxsave -original paramters- intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=0 isolcpus=1 acpi_irq_nobalance noirqbalance $vt_handoff

Make changes to the line as needed
close window then click save

Tim

More
11 Dec 2015 14:28 #66815 by Razor_keen
That's almost too simple lol

More
11 Dec 2015 14:39 - 11 Dec 2015 16:39 #66818 by tjmarch
But remember if you want to choose a different boot kernel say from Rtai to Rt you would have to uninstall Linuxcnc then reinstall with deb file made for Rt while booted into Rt kernel
To uninstall Linuxcnc (in linux mint) I would right click on Deb file used to to load currently installed Linuxcnc then choose open with Gedbi then uninstall

If Gedbi in not a option in Ubuntu choose to open deb file with Software Center then uninstall
Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 16:39 by tjmarch.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds