ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
11 Dec 2015 14:47 #66820 by tjmarch
If you notice in instructions when making deb files for Rtai and Rt kernels they are different commands and you have to be booted in the respective kernel when making deb file. But deb files can be saved and re-used for respective kernel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2015 14:53 #66821 by tjmarch
To be changing from one boot kernel to to another as mentioned all dependencies would have to be there for both kernels also

More
11 Dec 2015 15:00 - 11 Dec 2015 15:31 #66822 by tjmarch
I am setting in airport at the moment but if I remember correctly the only difference in 32bit scripts for Rt and Rtai dependencies besides image and header files is Rtai script loads a package called Rtai-moduals not exact name but you should be able to find it. And Rt kernel comes from different repository, (Debian, squeeze)
Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 15:31 by tjmarch.

More
11 Dec 2015 15:38 #66825 by tjmarch
For ease you could use Rt script and add Rtai image package and Rtai header package and Rtai moduals package to section that loads packages and everything would install Rt and Rtai kernel

More
11 Dec 2015 16:41 #66833 by Razor_keen
Thanks for all your help. I did run into the problem where linuxcnc was in not real-time. I saw it this morning and remembered the warning about linuxcnc only working on the flavour it was built on. I was planning on doing as you just suggested this afternoon. Your help has been invaluable. Thank you.
I think I will modify the script as you suggested in case I need to do this again.
I wonder how hard it would be to have lt keep both files and run a script that could basically check the kernel, then use if, then, to change where linuxcnc looks for the debs. Just thinking out loud.

More
11 Dec 2015 19:22 - 11 Dec 2015 19:52 #66848 by tjmarch
Once deb files are made the first time you could rename each deb file with something more specific like linuxcnc32RT.deb and linuxcnc32rtai.deb just make sure to keep .deb file extension . Save both to USB stick then after a new clean install of OS of same flavor and you run new script file that installs dependencies for. Both kernels. Boot into let's say the Rt kernel you would not have to use get to cllone download linuxcnc. Just install linuxcnc32RT.deb with Gedbi from any directory you choose on your computer. If you want after testing Rt kernel to switch to Rtai kernel. Uninstall Linuxcnc, then use grub customized select Rtai kernel for default boot. Reboot into Rtai kernel then use Gdebi to install linuxcnc32rtai.deb. Not sure but I think deb file for documentation should install on either kernel.
As a note if you start linuxcnc from terminal when using Rt kernel it will show it running
Posix real time
This is correct for Rt kernel
Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 19:52 by tjmarch.

More
12 Dec 2015 03:16 #66861 by Razor_keen
I was looking into a few things, and I think the shell script might be better suited to be written as an init file. This way it could allow for a restart and at the end delete its self. Only problem is if I make the script I will lose interest in the iso. For ubuntu the instructions for a custom iso is well documented and for the most part the instructions made sense. I think they could be modified for linux mint as well.
If I do the iso, ill probably still create the init file for those who already have a system in place.
im waiting for the deb files for the rtai kernel then I will test and compare again.

More
12 Dec 2015 18:19 #66882 by Razor_keen
Tim
Im unsure of the filepath and name of the file you are referring to.
Thanks,
jason

More
12 Dec 2015 20:14 #66886 by Razor_keen
Ive finished testing the rt 32 and rtai 32 kernels. just need to test a 64bit rtai. i tried editing the file to this attachment to no avail

More
12 Dec 2015 20:15 - 12 Dec 2015 20:16 #66887 by Razor_keen
looks like i found the deb. sorry. Thanks
Last edit: 12 Dec 2015 20:16 by Razor_keen.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds