ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
12 Dec 2015 21:13 #66891 by tjmarch
Jason
Had some running today, seen your post this morning thought about it while running. My wife is out will have some computer time today but tomorrow I will be busy. We can do this together, if you could post link for how to setup init file I would appreciate it, that way we are looking at same set of instructions also link for making ISO. I can see a potential problem using script. Some of the packages that are installed are direct download of file then install some are from old repository's and one is from a different distro repository. If we use a script file there is the potential the script could stop working if repository changed signing key or moved the file to a different location on server. I have another idea to install of Linuxcnc for someone that already installed Ubuntu or Mint, I have to research idea a little. As far as a ISO I think there would be the need to have 3 different ISO's one for each kernel, unless you had a different idea, your thoughts please.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2015 22:05 #66895 by Razor_keen
I was hoping to cut down on the number of iso's needed by modifying linuxcnc to be able to recognize multiple kernels. this is beyond my skills im sure.
Other than that i was reading up on making an ubuntu iso, but i have a feeling it could be modified for mint. the instructions can be found here.
help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
i've only skimmed over it. there are several other ways, its just something i looked at in my downtime at work.
as far as the init file, i got the idea here.
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/145294/...-reboots-the-machine
Again i have not done much research on either yet, and there seems to be other ways to accomplish this as well.

More
12 Dec 2015 23:49 #66904 by Razor_keen
Ok first pic is rt
second is rtai
third is rt 64 bit

in both of the 32 bit versions there was a higher usage of ram, some graphical anomalies describable as choppiness when opening and closing apps, and with the dual core the second core stayed inactive throughout the tests.
Although the latency was the best in the rt32 it was because i disabled the Ethernet connection, which was the main source of spikes, due to the rt kernels setting higher priorities to Ethernet. the rtai seemed much better, but about half way through there were a few large spikes i could not find a reason for.
64 was graphically smoother, but as the test was several days ago i cannot remember any other advantages or disadvantages. i only remember it ran about 85 percent on one core and the other came up from zero to a highest of about 38?
it was curious that the rtai kernel latency showed up below zero, is this normal?
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2015 00:01 #66907 by tjmarch
Rtai showed around zero or below during latency-plot, histogram Rtai was low but choppy in low range

More
13 Dec 2015 00:51 #66910 by Razor_keen
Tjlhats another thing. I really don't understand the histogram. I get a peak at about 4 whatever its quoting and its a very thin spike with some tiny dots to the left and right. I think if memory is right the numbers were like 1.6 plus and 1.5 minus.

More
13 Dec 2015 01:01 #66912 by Razor_keen
Is there a way to run the 3.14 rtai kernel and configure it locally? And in the kernels we are using I needed a .config file which is an auto config file. I need to tweek the kernel a bit.. Not that I won't find the answer eventually, but I have had had poor luck with this. Mostly cause I use the bang my head on it till it works method.

More
13 Dec 2015 01:06 #66913 by Razor_keen
Mostly cause I think I can do a 32 / 64 bit version ISO rt.
It will be a bit bigger than the other iso's but easily fit in a DVD.
The best rt fit is one that u can add Ubuntu patches to so I still reserve the version in my other topic. I'll update it eventually.

More
13 Dec 2015 01:22 #66914 by Razor_keen
Based on the diffrent results we've had, which versions should we attempt iso's with?
For me the easiest is with Ubuntu 32rtai and 64Rt. I still wanted to test the 3.14 rtai, because any Ubuntu release we make we will want to include Ubuntu patches. I think the same kernel can be renamed for ( linuxcnc mode, essentially. ) so , a rename in grub.also we will want to cat what we do here

More
13 Dec 2015 01:25 #66915 by tjmarch
For Rtai kernel patching this is the best info I know of

github.com/ShabbyX/RTAI/blob/master/README.INSTALL

And don't understand how a ISO could install a 32bit OS and 64 bit OS on the same computer at the same time or are you saying to have a choice for one or the other?

More
13 Dec 2015 02:09 #66917 by Razor_keen
I mean to incorporate an option to select between rt and rtai. I have read of a dual 32 and 64 distribution but I did not understand much of the functions. I'm edging on understanding the terminal instructions in the Ubuntu site I recommended. There are a lot of similarities but I can't speculate they could do what I suggest. It would be nice to incorporate everything but I think it's best to focus on one distribution a preice maybe I do the 64 bit rt since I've the most affinity for it. If you find a diffrent way of creating a distribution I would think it best we both follow similar paths. The Ubuntu instructions may not be suited for all distros

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds