ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
15 Dec 2015 01:52 #66994 by tjmarch
Jason
Just arrived in Kansas City been in airplanes and airports for about 8 hours, flight delays.

To answer some questions for you, I have done a similar project like this before don't worry about examples, I have them.
Jason wrote

Are you planning on having the user mount iso while in os or at bootup

Mount while in OS

Jason wrote

If question and answer format, there could also be an instruction on how to find which os, 32 or 64 bit , in case a user is not sure, to minimize some minor mistakes.

No need for user to answer question about 32 or 64 bit there are ways of detecting that. If 32 bit OS is detected user would answer if they would want Rtai or Rt kernels or both. 64 bit install would not need any questions.Then files would be loaded automatically user would not search for anything.

ISO will contain a couple of archives,(archives to keep ISO size down) of needed packages and a install script and some readme files for dedicated topics, (latency, smi, and maybe kernel related items) so a person doesn't have to search the internet for the info. They would start installation process from the command line. What I will work on next is extracting archives to ram drive so there would not be any writing to the hard drive of files in archives and will result in very fast install. See link below to understand more about ram drive

www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/943-create-a-ram-disk-in-linux

Jason I can take care of the ISO, what would be a great help is if you documented what you would want to include in readme topics. Remember it needs to be wrote as if you were talking to someone who has never seen linux before, which will be the case for some. If there are command line instructions that need to be included I can help with that.

Another area of help would be if we both were able to use Virtualbox to test installation process of our creation on the 36 different OS. If you do not know how to use Virtualbox I can make you up a cheat sheet.

Also I need to know if you received a email from me with the 2 pdf's I sent you, so I know that is a good email address. Because I do not want to post a trial of ISO on this forum just the finished product. I have a space we can share on a private server to keep track of progress.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 05:26 - 15 Dec 2015 05:46 #66997 by Razor_keen
Tim
I have recieved many emails from this site yet none from you as a personal email. im nit sure if it may have something to do with user preferences.. i may need to look into that. sorry.
I think laymens terms may be a close assumption of what i can provide. I have a good understanding of certain aspects of the steps weve taken to minimize latency but ive made a bit more progress on my specific system. Ive spent some time researching overclocking of various aspects of the arch assosiated with the computer im on, and customizing its bios.
Its shown some promise albiet i crashed this thing four times now.
ussually when i spend too much time in one area i hit road blocks so being there is new avenues to focus my attention i should come back to the bios later and maybe have new ideas
so give me two days. the read me should include the various grub assignments that apply to difffrent procss. and an explanation of why we added the smi contrl. also i feel there should be some expressed cautions about cpu temp regardless of smi and a few refrences because we should downgrade safe process temp due to uneven use of cpu. its really a matter of 5 to 10 max but should be considered.
I found ways of modifying these values but its directly inverse to producing bettter latency. i will include them if i can find out which process it is abusing or(most likely conflicting with)
The disadvantages of using 64 it should come before the advantages because very few actually need a virtual system, and it sounds like a selling many may never use,
Wine is a more popular choice for casual users
It would be explained first.
The best i could explain between rtai and rt is there affinities towards certain hardware, like rt supporting more ethernet and rtai sopporting a focus on i/o throughput at the expense or response, at times. I feel this is mentionable do to the software stop, that may at times react slower under rtai at times.
as far as commands to enter they would have to be at review of what your planning. If you need my direct email, and the site is not helping i will provide someway of direct contact. It seems tho that there are plenty of people that are watching the progress made here and may be able to help at some point.
Noticing the type of install you are wanting to perform, lox ram systems may not be able to handle it. even at 2 gb some systems retain a portion that is not usable by the os, it shouldnt be a problem for most installs but it should be outlined if during testing It proved to use more than fifty percent, or if a bug introduced more files than we anticipated. certainly it would overcome a system with only a gb of ram. the files are not that large though it shouldnt be a problem
I hope some of this is useful
Regards
Jason
Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 05:46 by Razor_keen.

More
15 Dec 2015 06:34 #66999 by tjmarch
Jason wrote

few actually need a virtual system

Trying not to confuse you. But the reason I want you to know how to use VM is to test the install process on different OS's
You can install OS with a ISO, (no disk needed) update it as if it was going to be the system you are going to use to run linuxcnc. Then take a snap shot preserving that state. Then when install test, (ex. just rtai kernel) is done you restore snap shot and try install with different option, (ex. rtai and Rt kernel). Saves a a lot of time and the expense of burning a bunch of disk.

Tim

More
15 Dec 2015 13:36 #67009 by Razor_keen
tim
my oppologies. when i wrote that i was referring to my opinion on possible user preferences.
wine and dual-boot both seem to work well for cad, and are the better options for a 32 bit system. For a 64bit system naturally a virtual machine would be better than wine (which is buggy in 64bit), and comes with easy access to files in the linux hierarchy.
I suppose it doesnt make as much sense to include this if the primary intent is to install it on to preexisting os, but for anyone who is not yet commited to an os, it may carry some weight.

More
15 Dec 2015 14:00 - 15 Dec 2015 14:01 #67012 by tjmarch
Jason
Tim wrote

reason I want you to know how to use VM is to test the install process on different OS's

I meant you Jason no one else

Just to test the install process

I do not want to include a VM with install

Tim
Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 14:01 by tjmarch.

More
16 Dec 2015 00:53 #67032 by Razor_keen
grrrr i realized that....

More
16 Dec 2015 13:06 #67039 by tjmarch
Jason

I sent you a reply to the email you sent me did you get it?

More
16 Dec 2015 18:14 - 16 Dec 2015 21:50 #67048 by tjmarch
Jason
if you downloaded ISO earlier today or last night. I tried it on Ubuntu and found a mistake. I have to corrected it you can download again later. This will not work with Debian

Tim
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 21:50 by tjmarch.

More
16 Dec 2015 22:46 - 16 Dec 2015 22:51 #67056 by tjmarch
Jason
Iso is available for download again it works on Mint xfce, Xubuntu loading up Ubuntu desktop in VM now will give it a go I don't see a problem though.
Note: when you try it, you will see some errors when debs are installing don't worry after first attempt of load on debs the next line in code corrects the issue and downloads the needed packages, then installs all failed debs during first time around. Both distro's Ubuntu and Mint and the flavors will be different but same end results with Linuxcnc installed with kernels and ready to run after reboot.

Tim :laugh:
PS In email I told you to use
su -
With Ubuntu you have to use
sudo su -
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 22:51 by tjmarch.

More
16 Dec 2015 23:03 #67057 by Razor_keen
Tim
Been a little busy at work. Sorry.
I got this error when installing virtualbox. i have to go pick up my kid and start making dinner. Ill look into what the problem was when i get home, or if youve encountered this what was the solution.
Thanks
Jason
DKMS: install completed.
Setting up virtualbox (4.3.34-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
* Starting VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Setting up virtualbox-qt (4.3.34-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
Processing triggers for python-support (1.0.15) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
linuxcnc
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds