Upgraded to 2.7.13 -- W T F --

More
20 Jun 2018 16:11 #112636 by mozmck
Before you completely give up, try adding this to your kernel boot command line:

intel_idle.max_cstate=1

I didn't read back enough to see what processor your NUC has, but if it is Baytrail (and maybe some others) this will probably fix it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2018 16:20 - 20 Jun 2018 16:22 #112637 by tecno
N3700 Braswell
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 16:22 by tecno.

More
21 Jun 2018 04:00 #112695 by InMyDarkestHour
This is just a brief overview.
Ok I have compiled and installed a kernel, I went with 4.11.12 as it was the closest to the Mint kernel with a RT patch.
Runs OK.

Compiled and installed Linuxcnc-uspace_2.7.14, axis sim runs ok

Had to manually build and install mesflash.....that's good now

Now The fun part.....
To get hm2_eth to load without any errors I had to do the following......this is just a rough explanation without any instructions.

Get Mint to load the kernel modules ip_tables & iptable_filter on boot
Had to change the permissions of sysctl & iptables so they run as root.......I'm not exactly happy with this solution, but should be ok if you are the only with access to the machine and net access can be limited (this is paranoia speaking)

But after those changes I was able to test connect to my 7i92 board, I haven't got it connected up yet, just going thru a testing phase to get used to it, rather than going the "whole hog" having to fix 1000 issues at once.

More
21 Jun 2018 07:15 #112702 by tecno

This is just a brief overview.
Ok I have compiled and installed a kernel, I went with 4.11.12 as it was the closest to the Mint kernel with a RT patch.
Runs OK.

Compiled and installed Linuxcnc-uspace_2.7.14, axis sim runs ok

Had to manually build and install mesflash.....that's good now

Now The fun part.....
To get hm2_eth to load without any errors I had to do the following......this is just a rough explanation without any instructions.

Get Mint to load the kernel modules ip_tables & iptable_filter on boot
Had to change the permissions of sysctl & iptables so they run as root.......I'm not exactly happy with this solution, but should be ok if you are the only with access to the machine and net access can be limited (this is paranoia speaking)

But after those changes I was able to test connect to my 7i92 board, I haven't got it connected up yet, just going thru a testing phase to get used to it, rather than going the "whole hog" having to fix 1000 issues at once.

That sounds promising, only time net access is for eventual updates/upgrades nothing else.

More
21 Jun 2018 07:40 #112703 by tecno

Before you completely give up, try adding this to your kernel boot command line:

intel_idle.max_cstate=1

I didn't read back enough to see what processor your NUC has, but if it is Baytrail (and maybe some others) this will probably fix it.

OK, so now I have done grub editing and rebooted. Will see how it performs during the day.

Thanks for the tip mozmck

More
21 Jun 2018 07:42 #112704 by tecno
Anyhow I decided to bite the bullet and ordered
www.computersalg.se/i/2234504/gigabyte-gb-bxbt-1900-bga-1170

Even if I get the NUC running I need to exchange the PC in my milling machine.

More
21 Jun 2018 09:19 #112708 by tecno
isolcpus=2,3 intel_idle.max_cstate=1 i915.enable_rc6=0 i915.enable_dc=0

above looks like a good medicine for this NUC to run, no freezing so far!

More
21 Jun 2018 09:59 #112709 by tecno
Oh no......... It hanged in Youtube now, frame freeze and audio in loop. totally unreachable only reboot helps.

So this box is not going to work with Debian as it looks like. Maybe we can get it working with Mint that ozzyrob is working on.

More
21 Jun 2018 10:57 - 21 Jun 2018 10:58 #112714 by InMyDarkestHour
Seems a bit fishy, that it hangs like that. Me thinks there is something wrong somewhere and I really don't know if another Linux version would be a fix.

But in saying that........

How do you want to go about the Mint solution ? You want to build everything or you want packages, which would take a while to upload ?
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 10:58 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
21 Jun 2018 11:46 - 21 Jun 2018 11:47 #112715 by tecno

Seems a bit fishy, that it hangs like that. Me thinks there is something wrong somewhere and I really don't know if another Linux version would be a fix.

But in saying that........

How do you want to go about the Mint solution ? You want to build everything or you want packages, which would take a while to upload ?

Well fishy is the right word as regards 64bit,, haven't done extensive 32bit tests but those i've done it have been running fine.

The Mint 18.3 I had earlier installed seemed to be running well but I did not get LCNC to work at all.
I assume I need to install Mint 18.3 and go from there, right? I have linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
Easiest for you is for sure to give me links and instructions on how to go from there with a basic Mint 18.3 installed.

I can fix ftp adress to my server if you want to upload but I understand your uplink is not so fast so maybe it is not a good idea.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 11:47 by tecno.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds