Testers Needed for New RTAI Packages

More
06 Mar 2020 11:54 #159322 by tommylight
I did not test them on a machine, machine is gone.
Maybe tomorrow i will go there to visit so i can give it a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2020 12:50 #159324 by BeagleBrainz
New rtai packages to suit installs for my RTAI ISOs.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=140#159323

The matching kernel packages are in the folder as well.

More
06 Mar 2020 13:43 #159330 by andypugh

when booting, when it does the resolution switch, instead i get a black screen all the way until the desktop comes up. not a dealbreaker, but i get paranoid when screen shows nothing.

You can specify a different resolution for boot in the grub config.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_a...amebuffer_resolution
Which might help with your lest important issue.

[code]the worst problem right now tho is jerky motion. it is something with continuos keyboard jogging. when using on screen buttons to jog (im using stock axis) or running a program, machine runs smooth as silk.[/quote]

This sounds like the user-space part of the system might be struggling.
Have a look in the kernel log, though, to see if the keyboard keeps connecting / disconnnecting.

Is it a hard-wired keyboard?

More
06 Mar 2020 13:49 #159331 by BeagleBrainz
oddwick also mentioned it happens with a PS/2 keyboard, so this would rule out keyboard disconnecting/reconnecting issues as would happen with a USB keyboard ?

Could this be a kernel config issue ?

More
06 Mar 2020 15:13 #159336 by tommylight
I can also confirm that this issue is present using USB or PS/2 keyboard on the same system.

More
06 Mar 2020 16:23 #159338 by andypugh
I wonder if isolcpus would be worth a try, to run the realtime and user processes on separate cores?

More
06 Mar 2020 17:50 #159342 by BeagleBrainz

I wonder if isolcpus would be worth a try, to run the realtime and user processes on separate cores?

I was wondering that as well. Could be worth a try.

More
07 Mar 2020 17:01 #159422 by oddwick
sorry, had sick duck yesterday and wansn't able to get to the shop and do any testing.

actually, i was running isolcups=1 still from when i switched from the rt kernel. when i got rid of isolcpus, actually that made the performance better. it sill stutters, but not nearly as pronounced, and ironically it gets worse the slower i jog.

checked logs, and there is nothing in there for the usb bus connects etc. that was my first thought. either it was disconnecting or buffer over/underruns which is why i switched to a ps2 keyboard, and that made no difference at all. in fact the entire system is just really sluggish even for and older machine with a realtime kernel. when i go to start lcnc, it will be probably a full 15-20 seconds before the window even comes up and probably 30 seconds after that before i get error window with the 'waiting for halcomp' error.

You can specify a different resolution for boot in the grub config.

thank you! i tried that and it works better(ish). i ALWAYS forget to run update-grub after and cant figure out why it doesnt work. pebkac. now all i get is about 10 seconds of blank screen before desktop comes up. im guessing that is the splash flag? i dont ever really mess with grub and never took the time to learn that voodoo.

More
07 Mar 2020 17:19 #159425 by oddwick

New rtai packages to suit installs for my RTAI ISOs.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=140#159323

The matching kernel packages are in the folder as well.

i installed this on an old laptop drive i had lying around to give it a test drive and it works flawlessly! for the install i just used etcher, which complained loudly about it being a 320gb drive, but otherwise it worked.

so i havent really had time to put it through its paces, but from what testing i did this was my conclusions. latency was about tripple (around 1800) than with stretch, but all in all, the system felt snappier, no keyboard lag, and i was able to jog around at 900ipm without a hiccup. and that was with wifi connected which is critical for my machines as all jobs are loaded from the network. actually i wonder how much of the latency is because of being on a spinner rather than a ssd. i like this enough i actually think i will put it on the main drive. seeing linuxcnc on mint after debian is as refreshing as somebody rolling down a window when you have a flatulent back seat passenger

so good on you. despite backwards toilets and seasons, now all your machines will work properly upside down! :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
07 Mar 2020 20:03 #159433 by BeagleBrainz
Some areas are being smashed by storms, but on the plus side as of last week we’re basically bush fire free since they started in September. The biggest issue now is people stocking up hoarding and fighting over bog roll.
Anyways glad you are having success. Andy is the man that has done the hard work on the kernel.
A mechanical hdd can have some impact, wireless is another source. One thing to remember that the MATE desktop is a bit more resource hungry, there is a chance that using a XFCE desktop could lower that figure, but I’ve been lax in update XFCE images.
Once again many thanks for the feedback.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds