Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
27 Feb 2020 12:23 - 27 Feb 2020 12:26 #158620 by Clive S
Ok. I have downloaded the latest ISO then made the boot stick. Booted fine and installed fine but on reboot of the SSD I also got the message as above I think then I press shift and return and waited it eventually booted.

But I did set the option to login without psw so that is probably the problem. I will try again without using that option

logged out then and restarted no problems. Restarted several time without any problem.

I will report back after total reload from stick.

Edit: I did not use the add third party stuff when installing
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 12:26 by Clive S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2020 12:54 #158629 by BeagleBrainz
I think best practise is to not enable that option, it can be changed on your first login by using the user setting in Control Centre in the main menu.

I'm pretty sure this is a Mint thing, it seems to pop up on the Mint forums every so often.

More
27 Feb 2020 12:55 #158630 by bensttech
What's the best way to get 2.9 on this build?? build from SRC?

More
27 Feb 2020 13:09 - 27 Feb 2020 13:23 #158631 by BeagleBrainz
Yep, if you downloaded the latest release open up the read me on the desktop and that has instructions on how to install the dependencies, please report if anything is missing from the list, then pull the sources from linuxcnc github checkout the branch you want and go for it. A rip install would probably be the best option so to keep the original install all good.

As this is a work in progress and 2.8 was requested rather than 2.9 that’s the way it will stay for the time being. As I have 5 versions up now I want to keep them all pretty much the same regarding the Linuxcnc version. If I change one to 2.9 people will want the other versions supplied with 2.9 as that is the latest.
If there is call for it I may consider building some 2.9 packages, but my google drive is just about full......... and I would like to keep some space for my personal and private use.
The focus now is for ease of install and use for beginners to linuxcnc to get up and running and those that prefer Mint but do not want to spend time installing kernels and building linuxcnc.
I have provided an easy path for those that do want to build/rebuild linuxcnc using these ISOs.
As much as I would like to cater to everyone it would take a bloody long time and people would just get confused.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 13:23 by BeagleBrainz.

More
27 Feb 2020 13:54 #158638 by Clive S

Re:
login with your username & password
sudo chown -R cnccontroller /home/cnccontroller
sudo reboot

This error-ed for me should cnccontroller be the user name ie in my case usr and psw is cnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Feb 2020 14:20 - 27 Feb 2020 15:35 #158640 by bensttech
Thanks for the in depth reply, I will report how i get on! Also i have we unlimited hosting here @ S & T and would be happy to support the project by hosting some images.

The version i download has a readme but it doesn't mention anything about SRC builds.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 15:35 by bensttech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
27 Feb 2020 14:41 - 27 Feb 2020 14:46 #158642 by BeagleBrainz

Re:
login with your username & password
sudo chown -R cnccontroller /home/cnccontroller
sudo reboot

This error-ed for me should cnccontroller be the user name ie in my case usr and psw is cnc

I assumed, from your screenshot, that cnccontroller was your user name.
usr is a very poor choice for a Linux username.
If you did not create a user with the username cnccontroller where is this coming from ?
It does not seem right that the installer created a user with that name.
When you installed did you format the partition you were installing to ?
What user name did you use to login into the console terminal with ?
What was the exact error you got, simply saying error’d out does not give any information at all and makes it impossible to know what the issue is and fix it?
Is your home partition on the same partition as / ?
Or is your /home mounted as a separate partition ?
What is the output of of
ls -la /home
There appears to be something very wrong with the installation.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 14:46 by BeagleBrainz.

More
27 Feb 2020 14:54 - 27 Feb 2020 15:49 #158643 by Clive S

I assumed, from your screenshot, that cnccontroller was your user name.

Sorry for any confusion. I don't see cnccontroller in the screenshot. My usr name is cnc and psw is cnc ie both are cnc

I generally use this when setting a machine up then put a stronger psw in later.

I am going through the install again without setting the login to auto. As it is easy to do once it is all installed

If you want me to stop posting on this I will not be offended. :)

Edit: Everything went to plan. Thanks for all the work you have put in.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 15:49 by Clive S. Reason: added text
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
27 Feb 2020 15:46 #158645 by bensttech
can you post a copy of the deps list? the build i dl has readme but doesn't mention SRC release building.

Yep, if you downloaded the latest release open up the read me on the desktop and that has instructions on how to install the dependencies, please report if anything is missing from the list, then pull the sources from linuxcnc github checkout the branch you want and go for it. A rip install would probably be the best option so to keep the original install all good.

More
27 Feb 2020 16:30 - 27 Feb 2020 16:39 #158649 by BeagleBrainz

can you post a copy of the deps list? the build i dl has readme but doesn't mention SRC release building.

Here's the list I use: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=50#157948

Do you have a
$HOME/utils/bin
directory ?
If you do the file you want should be in there.

Did you download this version forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=60#158193 or a previous one or MATE RTAI or any of the XFCE ones ?

Last edit: 27 Feb 2020 16:39 by BeagleBrainz.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds