Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
02 Mar 2020 02:50 - 02 Mar 2020 02:51 #158928 by BeagleBrainz

Thats unbelievable!
Curious why you removed HTML docs?

Great work!

Thanks for that Chris, I've really appreciated your help with the few little issues that have popped up.

Had a dig around and got a build that included the html docs. This package is purely for testing and can be installed (reinstalled) with gdebi on top of the doc-en package that is installed on the 20200301 ISO.
If the item doesn't appear on the menu right click on the Mate menu icon and select "Reload plugins".

deb package:
drive.google.com/open?id=1dB_vjXEIndOHPWfWx6almoFSpEHnC1bn

One thing of note the LinuxCNC "G-Code" Quick Reference links to the actual gcodes with always direct you to linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/g-code.html

The code that causes this is here:
if(document.location.protocol == "file:") {
    try {
        var x = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
        x.load("gcode/g-code.html");
        x.onerror = fixup_urls;
    } catch(err) {
        fixup_urls();
    }

Now this is my brief (novice) synopsis of the cause.
On fire firefox it always goes to the code in catch(err).
I've looked on the interwebs and from my understanding with Javascipt you can't access the local filesytem to check if a file exists. Using the XMLHttpRequest Object does not work with file:// origin in firefox unless you make a change to privacy.file_unique_origin to true (secure) to false (insecure) in the about:config page of firefox.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2020 02:51 by BeagleBrainz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 03:12 #158932 by phillc54
As Chris said, great work...

I tried the latest preempt on a VM and on baremetal and it installed and ran LinuxCNC with no issues.

The baremetal install was from a USB stick written on a Mac with Balena Etcher.

I also tried the 4.19.0-8 kernel from here and it ran fine on both installs. It seems to have slightly better latency results but probably not enough to warrant changing what you have. It may have more benefits for later machines, mine is around 6-7 years old.

When you think the ISO is complete it would be nice to get this onto the LinuxCNC site as an official ISO.

On a selfish note, it would be nice to have nfs-common and and and :)

More
02 Mar 2020 03:34 #158933 by BeagleBrainz
Thanks Mate.
The program I use to remaster is called Cubic and is a pretty good program. Once it has extracted the files and done it's housekeeping your are dropped into a text-only chroot environment so you can add and remove packages as you would on a version version.

NFS is probably a good idea.

Has anyone used the CAM in freecad ? Would it be a worthy addition ?

I think I remastered about 3 or 4 times last night, mainly cos of some niggly little things. Then I noticed I put the wrong date in the respin readme, that was after I had done the upload and posted at about 4 this morning. Having to reboot out of the RT_PREEMPT install and boot into a non RT install to use VBox is a pain. There is an issue with building the vbox kernel modules, maybe they are not compatible with RT kernels.

More
02 Mar 2020 03:43 #158934 by phillc54

Having to reboot out of the RT_PREEMPT install and boot into a non RT install to use VBox is a pain. There is an issue with building the vbox kernel modules, maybe they are not compatible with RT kernels.

I can't help you there, I use VMware Fusion on a Mac. The Linux guests use open-vmtools and open-vmtools-desktop which are included in most distros. They work on your distro in my Linux guest.

More
02 Mar 2020 10:14 #158957 by tommylight
Back in Mint 17.n it was obligatory to remove virtualbox and all it's minions, 18 did work with it when compiled, 19 does not care anymore about it, but i have my doubts about it working properly. Have not used virtual anything in a long time, as i have plenty of bare metal to play with. To much of it.....
Nice job, thank you very much.
Downloaded the latest iso last night but had a bad case of the zzzzzzz so did not test it.

More
02 Mar 2020 10:17 #158958 by tommylight

I think Todd and another user here used it, it's on my todo list in the near future.

More
02 Mar 2020 10:44 #158959 by phillc54

Doesn't the Path workbench come with all FreeCad versions, it does with the Mac version 0.19 that I use. I have used it occasionally and it did what I wanted for some milling. It's a bit of a learning curve but then so are most things...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Mar 2020 00:00 #159050 by BeagleBrainz
Phil re the kernel you linked to.
It does seem snappier, the issue is that the headers have a dependency on gcc-8, Mint 19.2 has gcc-7. On a normal system this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want to be dealing with issues when users, for some reason or another, need to build an "out of tree" kernel module. So to this end I'm attempting to build packages the (debian way) using gcc-7.
If that goes ok I'll building an image with this kernel )and put it up for testing. I'm hoping that the compiler isn't the main reason for the snappiness.

Hmmm appears gcc8 is available...will have to experiment.

More
03 Mar 2020 00:03 #159051 by phillc54
Yeah, I stated down that track yesterday and didn't finish. There are quite a few dependencies. If you want I can finish that off this arvo and report back.

On another note there are no LinuxCNC repositories in apt sources nor is the buildbot archive signing key installed.

More
03 Mar 2020 01:30 #159054 by BeagleBrainz
Yep I know that, as these are just for testing I wanted to keep it to a particular version of Linuxcnc......be easier for trouble shooting for the time being.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds