LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
16 Apr 2024 22:11 #298405 by cornholio
Yeah start again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2024 06:19 #298412 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you telling me that I need to start all settings again with a new image file?
Or there is a video driver, I can use for this image I already have? (Image from the LCNC downlods category)

In my opinion, you should use this image that Linuxcnc already has, and copy the configurations you're already using.

The ability to change the resolution and orientation is already available in the tools available on the desktop.

More
17 Apr 2024 08:41 - 17 Apr 2024 08:58 #298415 by cornholio
What tools are they ?

I could never work out how to do it. This was the biggest issue I had when I was testing rod's images. Using a HDMI to DVI converter had resolution stuck at 600x480. Starting with the RaspiOS image and adding the RT kernel gave no issues, had full control of resolution.
One thing that should be added to the docs is the location of the config files and a mention that the RPi5 is not compatible with SPI due to the hardware changes to the RPi5 rather than stating that it is.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2024 08:58 by cornholio.

More
17 Apr 2024 08:54 #298417 by xenon-alien

Are you telling me that I need to start all settings again with a new image file?
Or there is a video driver, I can use for this image I already have? (Image from the LCNC downlods category)

In my opinion, you should use this image that Linuxcnc already has, and copy the configurations you're already using.

The ability to change the resolution and orientation is already available in the tools available on the desktop.

If I saw correctly, on your image the LCNC not the stable version.
How can I copy the system settings I have made? (not LCNC cofigs)
So, really, is there no video driver to install and solve the problem? (easy way, like in windows - uninstall the old, install the new and set it as needed)

Not really understand, why is in the downloads an image with a lot of "issues" and no mentions about it...
In most cases, at first, people trying the image and if there some problems, try to solve it an go to the forum.
This issues was known in January. Newbie people spending days and weeks in nowhere...

More
17 Apr 2024 09:05 - 17 Apr 2024 09:07 #298420 by cornholio
No there is no driver, Linux is not Windows and the RPi is a completely different architecture.

As for copying settings I'd just start from scratch, it's going to be easier.

I don't know why nothing has changed. Maybe if you go to the github page and raise this issue, I've tried with RPi5 SPI issue but have had no one make a reply.

In reality unless you need a something the size of the RPi you would get better bang for buck with a x86 system that has 2 spare PCIe slots for 2 Parallel Port cards to get about the same IO.
I got fed up with my RPi5 and added a EPP interface to the FPGA card I made and used that with a small ITX board.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2024 09:07 by cornholio.

More
17 Apr 2024 09:56 - 17 Apr 2024 09:59 #298426 by xenon-alien
My setup will be a little more difficult, then usual.
13 stepgens 9 encoder (7i76e + 2x7i85s + 7i73)
But I'm still trying to figure out thigs about OS...
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2024 09:59 by xenon-alien.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Apr 2024 22:48 #298681 by rodw
The raspberry Pi5 iwas released as we released the image for the Pi4b.
We reworked the installer for the different chipset. Use at your own risk.

A small footprint X86 machine like the Odroid H3+ or the LattePanda V1 are likely better choices but cost a bit more

More
24 Apr 2024 11:31 #298985 by vre
Odroid H3+ vs orangepi5 ?

More
24 Apr 2024 12:57 #298995 by cornholio
Odroid H3+ any time of the day. I've had mine for ~4 years never has missed a beat.

X86 based so very very simple. Dual NICs are great for mesa ethernet cards.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds