Ethercat HAL driver

More
16 Aug 2020 07:08 #178361 by JKAVS
Replied by JKAVS on topic Ethercat HAL driver
That’s why I’m so interested in this. Just computer and drives would be so much easier than motion controller, breakout board, drives, multiple power supplies and so on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2020 09:41 #178374 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Also, is there any issues with using Ethercat driver and Mesa boards in the same setup (I think not but just checking)?

More
17 Aug 2020 02:56 #178454 by CORBETT
Replied by CORBETT on topic Ethercat HAL driver

@JKAVS

Hi,

If you understand how to build standalone HAL and INI files for LCNC, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if you are not verse with LCNC beyond using Pncconf to setup say a Mesa or Pico board, then it will take some time to learn how to get EtherCAT working correctly.

You will still have Power Supplies that power the 24V bus on the EK1100 and terminals as you will still need I/O for your machine and that will be done with ever how many terminals you will need (ever how many I/O's you need). Plus depending on your spindle drive, you will need a EL4102 for analog output and that will be attached to the EK1100.

If you have plenty of time and patience then yes you can get it working, but it is hard to get help. There are very few that are on the forum that can help with EtherCAT itself. There is only really two people that have been building new device drivers and they are not on here all the time.

I don't think the Delta B3 models are supported yet, and it could be a long time before anyone get's to them. I waited for nearly 2 years before someone released the Omron G5 driver. But, there is a generic driver so no matter what you should be able to get it working using it, but for a dedicated B3 driver and building it yourself will take some time and effort.

You can do like you originally wanted with getting EtherCAT amps and using a EK1100 with EL1004 or 8's and EL2004 or 8's for your input and outputs. I have one machine with analog amps and using EL4132 outputting to them, so yes you can do -10v to 0 to +10v analog output. I don't know where you are located, but be aware that the Beckhoff terminals are expensive even in used condition. Plus not easy to find certain terminals. I have been building a nice collection for the last few years and it has been a lot of work (and money).

Mesa would be the easiest to get going with as there is so much support, and depending on the route you take can be somewhat more affordable than EtherCAT.

Another thing, if you have never done a servo system and only a stepper setup, then you will have a learning curve with that alone. Servo systems are more involved to get tweaked and working perfect. Stepper systems are simple and you can easily get one going in LCNC with minimal hassle.

Hope this helps,
Robert

The following user(s) said Thank You: JKAVS

More
17 Aug 2020 03:08 #178455 by CORBETT
@Pippen88,

Shouldn't be a problem at all using Mesa with EtherCAT. I used a simple cheap BOB with parallel port driver and EtherCAT combined for a short time period. You just use the EtherCAT driver along with the Mesa driver in HAL.

Robert

More
17 Aug 2020 05:27 #178463 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Ethercat HAL driver
@CORBETT

Thanks for the reply.

I'm comfortable with hal and ini editing.

Re: EK1100 - I think it is only required for Beckhoff I/O?
Confirming I have LinuxCNC -> Servo drive with no Beckhoff branded components.

More
17 Aug 2020 06:18 #178466 by CORBETT

@Pippin88,

Yeah I figured you probably were good with HAL since you were an Expert Boarder. I only sent that to JKAVS as he may or may not be verse and that will be a big part of getting it figured out.

Yes correct EK1100 is for I/O, but also for adding analog out for VFD or getting special terminals such as what I needed for different machines. Beckhoff has all types of terminals and many are supported at this point. I believe even some thermistor terminals are and I plan to add one to my transformer cabinet to monitor temp in case of a fan failure.

Right now on one machine I have 18 terminals attached to the EK1100, and all of them have a purpose for each part of the machine. Will need to add 2 more in the future for another function that I am adding. Terminals are expensive, but I don't see getting around certain one's as it is pretty hard to find EtherCAT controlled VFD's at a reasonable price. I have been watching and wanting for a long time, but satisfied with analog VFD because of price, LOL. Will be glad when they are affordable.

But yes you can do a LCNC setup without any Beckhoff parts. and yes if you was able to get it all setup, you probably could do just 3 EtherCAT amps, with 1 EtherCAT VFD, but would definitely really limited on I/O for sure. Would be a basic knee type mill and not a VMC with ATC. I have several Omron EtherCAT G5's and Yaskawa EtherCAT Sigma 5's that are waiting for a EtherCAT VFD :) Just hard to find those EtherCAT VFD's, well one I can afford LOL.

Robert

More
18 Aug 2020 08:21 #178576 by JKAVS
Looks like this is not the right way for me. I haven't used LinuxCNC never before and this doesn't seem to be the right way to start.

More
18 Aug 2020 20:30 #178627 by CORBETT

@JKAVS

Yes if you haven't used LinuxCNC, then EtherCAT would be a challenge.

But If you wanted to start learning how to use LinuxCNC, then you can put in on a old computer and start figuring out how to tweek the simulated version. That way you don't even need to spend money on any hardware. Plus you could get a cheap BOB off of Ebay for $5 and learn to make simple connections in HAL before moving on.

Then if you get comfortable, you can buy one EK1100 and add the EtherCAT driver so you can figure out how to get it working with LCNC, therefore you still will not have a lot of money in it. You can find used EK1100's for around $50-75 if you shop, I have bought a few as low as $30 shipped, but that is not common. To me this is the cheapest and easiest way to figure it out. The best is to learn on something simple like a EL1004 or 1008 terminal so that you can get simple switching down pat, then you can move onto more complicated things such as the servo system. You can always buy a EtherCAT amp and do the same thing, but if it is not supported you will have a very hard time just getting it working as you would have to use the "generic" driver in your XML file and link everything... this would not be easy if you do not understand LCNC from the get go.

One of my test systems is nothing more than a old computer that I have a EK1100 hooked up with 1 terminal (usually whichever terminal I am working on). You don't have to have your servo amps and everything else to get EtherCAT and LCNC working together. Once you get the EK1100 working with LCNC, and understand how EtherCAT works, then you can really start working on building the driver for the amps.

Hope this helps,
Robert

More
19 Aug 2020 08:12 - 19 Aug 2020 08:28 #178689 by JKAVS
I might actually do that. I do have programming experience so it's not that big a deal to give it a try.
Can I use Raspberry Pi for testing?
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 08:28 by JKAVS.

More
19 Aug 2020 18:17 #178734 by CORBETT

@JKAVS,

Yes nothing to loose but time. Of course there were several nights that I wanted to walk out into the front yard and throw my Ek1100 as far away as I could... or put it down and drive over it.

Yes you should be able, as I have seen others on the web that have ran LCNC on Pi.... but I don't know how well it will run. I would imagine well enough to do what you need for learning purposes for sure. I have a Pi3, but never tried it, the smallest I have ever ran LCNC on is a Mini ITX board, but that is much bigger than a Pi board. Screwing around and learning is no problem on whatever you use, but latency will play a factor for when you go to hook up hardware.

Yeah nothing to loose but time... and I lost a lot of it, LOL...

Robert

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds