Ethercat installation from repositories - how to step by step

More
07 Aug 2024 21:52 #307223 by rodw

Aaaaahhh paperless offices ... that never came. That was the promise made by e-mail .
Yes, print screen works on most distros, although XFCE used by LinuxCNC version of Debian did not work but it had screenshot in the main menu somewhere.
I pushed the prtsc button on the keyboard and it works

Flameshot is amazing for screen shots as you can save to file, to the clipboard, jusat capture a section and annotate your screenshot
sudo apt install flameshot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2024 19:26 #307274 by Mehmet_Ali
Hello, 
Is it possible to install ethernet for raspbery pi? Are the iso files up to date ?

More
08 Aug 2024 19:37 #307276 by rodw
The Raspberry pi images do not include the Ethercat repositories but enabling some commented out code should enable it according to feedback from etherlabmaster
Try running a script something like this
#!/bin/bash
# Install companion repositories. NOTE: QTPYVCP does not support the raspberry pi.
echo "Install ethercat repository"
mkdir -p /usr/local/share/keyrings/
wget -O- https://build.opensuse.org/projects/science:EtherLab/signing_keys/download?kind=gpg | gpg --dearmor | dd of=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg
tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ighvh.sources > /dev/null <<EOT
Types: deb
Signed-By: /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg
Suites: ./
URIs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science:/EtherLab/Debian_12/
EOT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mehmet_Ali

More
08 Aug 2024 19:49 #307277 by rodw
yes tested it works on my chromebook so it should work on any device Ethercat supports. Shame it does not have an Ethernet port :)
copy text to a file. call it ethinstall.sh and make it executable:
chmod +x ethinstall.sh
./ethinstall.sh

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mehmet_Ali

More
09 Aug 2024 14:18 #307362 by Henk
HI
Firstly, thank you very much for this outstanding work. I have installed from the ISO provided, no errors, works as intended. 

I was not planning to use Ethercat, but when i bought new drives for one of my machines, i forgot to specify that i want an analog interface, so they supplied Ethercat drives...so i figured i would give it a go, and i am pleased with the result

I have a PC with 2  network adaptors, and i managed to set up a Mesa 7i92 on the other port, which works, but im having "error finishing read" issues. Im told that this is a known issue with Debian 12 and Realtec NIC's. Will search on the forum for a sollution, though i am pleased with the result so fat.

Thanks again for the effort

Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
09 Aug 2024 16:44 #307370 by abdulasis12

Now fixed. They had a bug in the DKMS deb files. Grab this Linuxcnc ISO which has the new keys in it.
ISO:  drive.google.com/file/d/1gEQzgHsj_LjHiGB...k1Z/view?usp=sharing
Folder with all generated files:  drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pwDh_jn8...QcQwcLv7?usp=sharing

This  ISO also corrects installing a pre-release version of Linuxcnc and no installs 2.93 as intended. 
I have asked the devs to copy this ISO to the downloads page.

Hi MR.RODW
I have question
Because my PC a lot setup for 7i73 mattrixkey sendkey for setup in debian (permission) ,If I go to D/L .ISO and reinstall , I must go to setup all again, and not sure I can do it working again or not.
Can you share any solution for fix this error about DKMS and don't need  to reinstall with .ISO ?

More
09 Aug 2024 18:19 #307378 by Mehmet_Ali
Make a new and clean installation on another computer, do not touch the existing computer. If you can run it on a new computer, reinstall it on your existing computer.

More
09 Aug 2024 21:29 #307388 by rodw

Can you share any solution for fix this error about DKMS and don't need  to reinstall with .ISO ?

Refer here. Please restrict this thread to Ethercat installation only
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing
The following user(s) said Thank You: abdulasis12

More
10 Aug 2024 10:15 - 10 Aug 2024 10:15 #307410 by Shemmers
Hi Rodw, Thanks for all the incredible work so far on EtherCAT. I'm diving into both LinuxCNC and EtherCAT right now and excited by the possibilities. 

I ran into the same issues as discussed.  I tried your script on the Rpi 5 and it seemed to connect to their servers but it only seems to have grabbed 733 bytes. I may try some of the other methods mentioned previously.

___
System: Raspberry pi 5 + Leadshine EL8 EtherCAT drives
LinuxCNC level: first timer
Linux level: noob noob
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2024 10:15 by Shemmers.

More
10 Aug 2024 19:47 #307434 by rodw
The script just adds the Ethercat repositories/
Just folllw the steps in post 1 to install Ethercat.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds