Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
23 Nov 2013 23:55 #41131 by BigJohnT

JT
I know it gets harder as we get older (me included) but one has to learnt a new thing sometimes. The buttons that Norbert used is similar to some industrial machines. There is an ISO standard for industrial machines but I don't think lots of manufacturers keep to that. An operator just have to learn. Wait till you see the stuff the Chinese guys comes up with. :0

This screen is actually quick the get under the belt. The most difficult is to get used to not having a mouse and keyboard.

I think you misunderstand what I said, it's not about me learning new things, when I looked at the icon I didn't have a clue what it did. If your not trained in ISO standards ISO icons mean nothing, however if you can read then a text button can never be wrong, well maybe spelled wrong if your on an island in the north Atlantic. It's like the old word processor for DOS it was just a blank page... until you learned how to use it.

Actually it gets easier for me to learn as I age, I'm much less stubborn now.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2013 02:57 #41132 by mariusl

Actually it gets easier for me to learn as I age, I'm much less stubborn now.

Ditto.

I think you misunderstand what I said, it's not about me learning new things, when I looked at the icon I didn't have a clue what it did.

Not really, just pulling your leg a bit. :)
As you said, being used to ISO standards the fiduciary symbol would provide a clue.It normally signals referencing of a sorts. But if you have not used it before, I have to agree, it would be a bit meaningless.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
24 Nov 2013 03:17 #41133 by DaOne
Maybe a good solution would be the icon with text underneath. The only issue I see with that is language localization. I have yet to look to see if its possible but maybe you could put a dynamic text string over the button that is set from the language strings? Just a suggestion to avoid confusion for people who are not familiar with the icons and their meanings.

More
24 Nov 2013 03:26 #41134 by BigJohnT
You can translate the button label with gettext and extract all translatable strings with intltool.

JT

More
24 Nov 2013 03:30 #41135 by newbynobi
Hallo,

a good idea, but very difficult to realize. I got the tool tips, witch will apera if you stay with the mouse ofer a widget. I am just updating that feature, to apply to all widgets. This text are translatable and I will offer the translations for German ans Spanish, hoping to get the Serbian files translated. B)

There is also a possibility to display buttons with Icon and Text, but that will need more space. I might introduce with the industrial version an option to change between Text and Icon Display. It's a quite a lot of work, but if the user can convince me that it is necessary, I will do that.

Or we introduce ICON calles
auto_de.gif
auto_gb.gif
auto_es.gif
etc.

I check for the locale and load the ICONS by its country code, so you can add an text to any ICON.

Norbert

More
24 Nov 2013 03:36 #41137 by DaOne

Or we introduce ICON calles
auto_de.gif
auto_gb.gif
auto_es.gif
etc.

I check for the locale and load the ICONS by its country code, so you can add an text to any ICON.

That makes it easy to code just requires an image set for every language. Probably the best way to handle it however.

More
24 Nov 2013 21:08 #41147 by probamo
Norbert,

last time I sent you updated translation for Serbian. I checked *.po file and found 404 lines, among which all translated requested by gmoccapy at the time. Can you please advise which translation is missing so I can update it.

Thanks,

More
24 Nov 2013 21:12 #41148 by probamo
This is what I got

Any advice. It happened after I did 'git pull'.

Thanks,
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2013 00:44 - 25 Nov 2013 01:55 #41149 by newbynobi
Hallo Dejan,

The problem is a typo of mine in line 2023 of gmoccapy_handler.py, I missed an "b"
It should be "self.widgets.Combi_DRO_x.metric_units"

I am just correcting that, that bug does affect only the DRO in the preview.

Serbian Translation, after a push you will find a gmoccapy.po file in linuxcnc-dev/share/gscreen/skinns/gmoccapy/locales/rs

Open the file with poedit and edit the missing translations and changes.
After pressing the save button, you will get a new file called gmoccapy.mo

Send me the edited po and the new mo file, I will push the new translation.

Norbert
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 01:55 by newbynobi.

More
25 Nov 2013 23:00 #41158 by probamo
Hallo Norbert,

I trays *.po file in RS folder and as said before, there are in total 404 lines. However, in new ''settings'' there are things not taking translation as before. Having looked in the *.po file I found that old references making the same have been translated, but new lines in file could not found. See attachment. Any advise.

PS. Looking in DE there are less lines then in Serbian!???
Attachments:

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds