Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
22 Nov 2013 13:30 #41106 by mariusl

How do you load a file?

JT

The machine must be homed and ready, then you will see the load symbol under the auto/run mode.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2013 14:55 - 22 Nov 2013 14:57 #41107 by newbynobi
Hallo BigJohnT,

I get a couple of errors about not being able to open a file <> when I start up.

Can you change the color of the DRO? Red is a bad color for people suffering from protanopia who are unable to perceive any ‘red’ light and this affects a substantial portion of the human population.

My first thought other than red displays is it is clean and neat. I'll have to copy my configuration to it and test it out some.

Why do you have the back plot and gremlin?

The errors of not beeing able to load I file are not normal.
Have you worked before with gscreen?, May be the preference files are mixed up.

Solution: Go to the settings page and select on File to load a valid File. After that the errors should be gone.

Colors of the DRO are changable on the settings page for Abs, Rel and DTG, I will include two more color button to allow the user select also the homed and unhomed colors. If you need an imidiate solution, please open linuxcnc-dev/lib/gladevcp/Combi_DRO.py and at the beginning change the default values of self.homed_color and self.unhomed_color.

Related to back plot and gremlin, is gremlin the back plot you refer to?
It offers the possibility to show you loading a programm, that you will be able to machine the part, because you get information of the limits. Also you are able to see that entering circles and leaving circles and so on are in the right direction. I am one of many, that do theire part coding by hand, so entering G2 instead of G3 is not unusual.

You are right, that gremlin also invoke problems. I.e. trieing to load a file with 500.000 lines of code will kill everey GUI with preview, the only one that can handle it at the moment is MINI, as it works with backplot and not preview. I found that out, while testing around with ShopfloorPro the Gcode generator Rene is writing . We tried to mill 3600 circular pockets in a circle frame and got 700.000 lines of code in less than 10 seconds, but we where not able to load such a file.

What more reasons you know, to delete gremlin from the GUI?

Loading a file is only possible with machine homed. Please enter the Auto Mode and press the load button, in the IconFileSelection select a file and then press the OK button. I havn't found out, why a dobble Click does not load the file.

And yes, you have to copy that to your config and you should not do only that, you should use it! And implement your Lathe Macros as glade panel to make the GUI even better as now ;-))

Norbert
Last edit: 22 Nov 2013 14:57 by newbynobi. Reason: typo

More
22 Nov 2013 19:47 #41112 by BigJohnT

How do you load a file?

JT

The machine must be homed and ready, then you will see the load symbol under the auto/run mode.

I did not see a button to home the machine, how do you home it?

JT

More
22 Nov 2013 20:03 #41113 by mariusl
JT
There is a row of buttons at the bottom of the screen. When you are in the run mode the most left hand button will give you the homing options. If you dont see them then your screen is not big enough. 1024 x 1024 is best for this screen.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
22 Nov 2013 23:58 #41116 by probamo
I agree that name should reflect meaning behind, but I just proposed to reflect even more, the author under LinuxCNC (such as Axis and other screens):

New
Open
souRce
Board

to me NORB would be good for industral verson as well, but any other options would be grate as well. The point s the simpler the better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newbynobi

More
23 Nov 2013 04:13 - 23 Nov 2013 04:15 #41121 by BigJohnT

JT
There is a row of buttons at the bottom of the screen. When you are in the run mode the most left hand button will give you the homing options. If you dont see them then your screen is not big enough. 1024 x 1024 is best for this screen.

My monitor is a typical 15" ELO touch screen with 1024 x 768. I see it now but the symbol was not intuitive to me to indicate homing. Like they say once you know how it is easy...

JT
Last edit: 23 Nov 2013 04:15 by BigJohnT.

More
23 Nov 2013 04:54 #41123 by mariusl
Glad you made it man. You will enjoy this screen. The next nest thing to sliced bread :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: newbynobi

More
23 Nov 2013 06:11 #41125 by newbynobi
JT,

Do you know my YouTube channel? There are several videos of gmoccapy demnstrating the usage.
It may help to get faster used to the GUI.

I would like to get more intuitive icon, do you have a sugestion?

Have you noticed, that every button has a tooltip? Just stay a little while with the mouse over a buttonand it will apear.

Norbert

More
23 Nov 2013 06:55 #41126 by BigJohnT
Norbert,

No, I don't know your you tube channel. I do try and avoid you tube and other areas that have heavy download so I don't run my usage up. If they are short I can view a few of them.

On a good note I did manage to get the configuration to home but I still have problems with the spindle slowly winding up for some strange reason. I just ran Touchy and got the same so the drive must have forgot the ramp time...

As for icon's I prefer text based icons as they are not subject to interpretation. A button with "Home" pretty much spells it out for me and text based buttons should be able to be translated with a po file or however they do it.

If you hide the mouse the tool tips don't work :( and a touch screen usually does not have a mouse handy even though I do as well as a keyboard.

JT

More
23 Nov 2013 13:59 #41127 by mariusl
JT
I know it gets harder as we get older (me included) but one has to learnt a new thing sometimes. The buttons that Norbert used is similar to some industrial machines. There is an ISO standard for industrial machines but I dont think lots of manufacturers keep to that. An operator just have to learn. Wait till you see the stuff the Chinese guys comes up with. :0

This screen is actually quick the get under the belt. The most difficult is to get used to not having a mouse and keyboard.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds