NativeCAM is Features renamed

More
19 Nov 2017 22:38 #102042 by FernV
Replied by FernV on topic NativeCAM is Features renamed

I have some issues with that calculator like popup that I cannot close. There are moments when I have to restart pc in order to get rid of it. Closing linuxcnc is not enough..

Instead of restarting, you can kill the process. Search infos on how to do it.

I have not seen this happen for months now and am unable to reproduce this, When does it happen and what are the steps you can reproduce it ?

Fern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2017 13:26 #102057 by andypugh

How could I contribute ?

It needs the (fairly well tested) algorithm that is in here:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/andypu.../g71/python/remap.py

Converting in to C++ and putting in here:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/8fa729...erp_convert.cc#L4900

More
20 Nov 2017 13:29 #102059 by andypugh

Let's say a pitch of 10 mm with the first thread starting at Z0.0 and the second at Z5.0, would this work ? It depends if lcnc always starts moving the Z axis right after the spindle index signal I think.
Your opinion please

Yes, that is exactly how you do a multi-start thread with LinuxCNC.
It isn't 100% ideal as you might not always have room at the tailstock to back off enough.

More
20 Nov 2017 19:43 #102097 by vmihalca

I can answer with one way to do part of your task.

Decide that one of your tools is a "master" tool. That will always have offsets of zero in the tool table.
Load that tool. (I use tool 1)
Then make a test-cut on diameter. Back off. and return to the starting diameter on the DRO. Touch of your Coordinate System (not tool table) to that diameter.
Do the same with a facing cut.
Now, load your second tool and repeat, But this time touch-off into the Tool Table instead.
Now the tool table contains the difference between tool1 and tool2. (and you can then touch-off the work with either tool, as long as you have done the M6T2G43 thing. Never forget the G43. Unless you have remapped Tnn to do it automatically, which many lathe users do.

Hi Andy,

I have a few questions here.
After I read more carefully, I've noticed you've made a difference between the Touch Off and Tool Touch Off.
What I did so far is:
M6 T1 G43, done a test cut on both radius and diameter and set the diameter value in the Touch Off X, and Z value to 0
Then I've loaded tool 2: M6 T2 G43, touched X with the tool tip and entered the diameter into Tool Touch Off for X and the jogged on Z where the part starts and set the 0 for Z.

Not sure what you mean by: "the tool table contains the difference between T1 and T2"
Also you said I can touch off the workpiece with either tool as long as I do M6 Tn G43

Does that mean that if I've set the offsets for 3 tools and after I've done machining a part, if I chuck a new stock I can touch off with any of the tools and all the other tools's offsets will be updated automatically?
If so, when chucking a new stock, how o I have to do the touch off? Using the Touch Off or Tool Touch Off.

As you can see from what I wrote above..its not very clear to me the difference between Touch Off and Tool Touch Off
So far, every time I'm adding new stock, do the tool touch off with every tool... :)

More
20 Nov 2017 20:01 #102101 by andypugh
"Touch Off" sets the work offsets (G10 L20). "Tool Touch Off" changes the tool table. (G10 L10)

My procedure works better if you always make sure that Tool 1 has zero offsets in the tool table. (G10 L1 X0 Z0 to guarantee that)

If you turn a diameter with your reference tool (with zero in the tool table) and set the work offsets, then turn another diameter with another tool then touch-off into the tool table, then the tool table contains the difference between the reference tool and the new tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vmihalca

More
20 Nov 2017 21:33 - 20 Nov 2017 21:35 #102108 by vmihalca
It seems to work, I hope I correctly understood what you explained, I will come back later with further questions if I’ll notice smth doesn’t work as expected.
In the image below, i have tool 1 loaded and executed g0 x0 z0.
Can you please explain me like to a stupid guy, :) what DTG R, DTG Z, G92 X and G92 Z do represent.

PS: I think I've polluted the NativeCam thread with these kind of questions...so if anyone can move these to another thread.. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2017 21:35 by vmihalca.

More
21 Nov 2017 16:37 - 21 Nov 2017 16:53 #102145 by vmihalca
Hi Fern,

I have played a bit more with nativecam and noticed a few issues:
1. I've switched to G95 to use feed per revolution so I've noticed I cannot enter 0.05 for example...when I type the 5, it trims the zeros and remains 5. However I was able to overcome this by typing 0.1 / 2
2. The calculator screen, remains orphaned, you can see in the image below, I have one on each space/desktop..I don't know how to call those boxes in the upper right corner. Those can't be closed..can you at least add a close button to it so that I can close it when its ignoring outside click events.
3. When turning Taper ODL for example, the values for X Begin and X End (when turning a taper with the smaller diameter towards the tailstock) seem to be reversed. I had to enter 14 for X begin and 11 for X end in order to get a taper that grows towards Z- . Are these really reversed or I'm not interpreting them correctly. Alternatively they could be renamed to something more meaningful.

Regarding multi start threading, I've done an attempt, it didn't came out as expected, but I will do some more experiments and then come back with some conclusions.

PS: when using feed per revolution mode (G95 i guess), what does feed override do? Does it changes the feed rate?
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 16:53 by vmihalca.

More
21 Nov 2017 21:32 #102154 by FernV

... I cannot enter 0.05 for example...when I type the 5, it trims the zeros and remains 5

Do you mean you entered ',' then '0' then '5' ?

...The calculator screen, remains orphaned, you can see in the image below, I have one on each space/desktop

No images show the calculator dialog

..I don't know how to call those boxes in the upper right corner.

What boxes ?

Those can't be closed..can you at least add a close button to it so that I can close it when its ignoring outside click events.

An orphan window does not respond to any input. However I think it can be killed by the system.

Taper ODL for example, the values for X Begin and X End (when turning a taper with the smaller diameter towards the tailstock) seem to be reversed. I had to enter 14 for X begin and 11 for X end in order to get a taper that grows towards Z- .

Begin X is the position where it starts cutting and End X where it stops. Maybe it should renamed with Large and Small but is it Diameter or Radius ? It think most of the time it would be diameter even if someone it working in radius mode. I will make it diameter

Regarding multi start threading, I've done an attempt, it didn't came out as expected, but I will do some more experiments and then come back with some conclusions.

PS: when using feed per revolution mode (G95 i guess), what does feed override do? Does it changes the feed rate?

For G95
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g93-g94-g95

Regards
Fern

More
22 Nov 2017 10:01 #102178 by vmihalca

Do you mean you entered ',' then '0' then '5' ?

I have entered 0 then . then 0 then 5

No images show the calculator dialog

You can see one here: photos.app.goo.gl/BDYu1jMey3y6X5Ih2

..I don't know how to call those boxes in the upper right corner.

Those white squares are those orphan windows that I was unable to dismiss them, so I moved linuxcnc to a different space.
Here are some images: photos.app.goo.gl/mfKoNAXk131KEPzc2

An orphan window does not respond to any input. However I think it can be killed by the system.

If I kill the process, will that kill linuxcnc also? If so I will have to re-home on each linuxcnc restart. So basically each window that can't be dismissed would lead to another homing procedure.

Taper ODL for example, the values for X Begin and X End (when turning a taper with the smaller diameter towards the tailstock) seem to be reversed. I had to enter 14 for X begin and 11 for X end in order to get a taper that grows towards Z- .

Begin X is the position where it starts cutting and End X where it stops. Maybe it should renamed with Large and Small but is it Diameter or Radius ? It think most of the time it would be diameter even if someone it working in radius mode. I will make it diameter

What I'm saying is that these are reversed, in order to work as you say I have to reverse the values between these two.
You can see in these images: photos.app.goo.gl/tPb2gAxxZvUcb2j83

More
22 Nov 2017 17:39 - 13 Dec 2017 01:55 #102203 by FernV
Hi Vasi

After trying for more than 1 hour, I could not reproduce any of your issues.
What is your Linux distribution ? What is the language code you are using ?

I have entered 0 then . then 0 then 5

Did it happen only once or on a regular basis and on what Subroutine (Facing, Boring,...) and parameter ?

You can see orphaned dialog here...

Does it also happen with a single desktop space ?

If I kill the process, will that kill linuxcnc also? If so I will have to re-home on each linuxcnc restart. So basically each window that can't be dismissed would lead to another homing procedure.

You would not kill linuxcnc process but the orphan window ... if you can identify it in the list of processes

It could help if you record your screen and create a video of what happened 10 seconds or more before the window became orphan.

I had to find many work around to pygtk issues and I had to drop some interesting ideas because of them. It could take weeks or months before I identify the cause of your issues. Some cases can simply not be debugged.

Regards
Fern

P.S. Enter a 'Init thread depth' large enough to avoid cutting air in the first pass
Last edit: 13 Dec 2017 01:55 by FernV.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds