Another plasma component...

More
19 Jul 2019 00:04 - 19 Jul 2019 00:05 #139843 by thefabricator03

@Stefan,

Just curious, Do you plan to release that program open source?
The program is free to use for linux users.
We will not compile for Window's or Mac...

It's my job to give something back to linux. This is my way...

If not would it be available for a small fee?
That is not my purpose.

I am looking at building some tables to compete with Swift Cut and PlasmaCAM here in Australia
Did you think about building the Grotius plasma design? Maybe you can use this design in your country...

Even Catterpillar uses a Grotius machine to cut some steel with 200 amp's.
Do you have a relationship with Thermal Dynamics already?

One thing, if you are planning to use Mesa. Don't forget to use extra plug and play connector's to switch out a card in 1 minute.

I would consider using your design, If you contact Rod he can give you my email and get in contact with me.

I plan on using Ethercat instead of Mesa, Mesa would be cheaper but other plasma companies here use Ethercat but on much expensive machines and I think that using Ethercat would be an advantage,

I am about to test out my ethercat controller design and I will post my results to this forum.

I have never used Thermal Dynamics or had anything to do with them but I would be interested.

Edit: I will be using Mesa for the THCAD10 for THC.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2019 00:05 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2019 00:32 - 19 Jul 2019 00:41 #139845 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Another plasma component...
We have to think democratic about :

- The forum donation button.

I would like you to use the Grotius design. And with every sold machine, you do the forum donation for a certain value.

We have to think about a strategy. Defeating Swiftcut is quite an easy job. I am thinking about the www job.
How can i make a donation to the forum when i can not reach the admin by mail?

If no one does it. Why don't i start a new linux forum???
Last edit: 19 Jul 2019 00:41 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
19 Jul 2019 00:45 #139847 by thefabricator03

We have to think democratic about :

- The forum donation button.

I would like you to use the Grotius design. And with every sold machine, you do the forum donation for a certain value.

We have to think about a strategy. Defeating Swiftcut is quite an easy job. I am thinking about the www job.
How can i make a donation to the forum when i can not reach the admin by mail?

If no one does it. Why don't i start a new linux forum???

I have had a conversation with another forum member about how I could contribute back to the community that has helped me so much, The consensus was I should sponsor a developer to write code that can be distributed freely.

There is a number of other plasma components that people would like developed but either dont have the time or dont know how to develop. With my workshop experience of running a machine for production I could test out the code before release and make any changes needed.

Looking forward this is what I plan to do.

Get in contact with me about your designs and I will consider using them if we can work the detail out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
19 Jul 2019 03:00 #139849 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Well, I think we have a developer who lives in Australia that understands plasma cutting....
We've already had an offer to donate some hardware.
The ex banker in me is thinking how to handle the money in a way that is open and transparent.
The correct way is to establish a not for profit association. But that is not free. AUD $162 to register then another AUD $408 to allow people outside of my state to become members. You need a minimum of 7 members, a separate president and treasurer and the books need to be audited annually. I think I could get somebody to donate their services there. Doing it this way the members cannot become personally liable. Then you'd need to host a donate button somewhere. That is not hard to sort out.

Is it worth the expense or should those with a commercial interest in Linuxcnc agree informally on a statement of works and deal directly with the developer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
19 Jul 2019 06:50 - 19 Jul 2019 06:50 #139851 by thefabricator03

Is it worth the expense or should those with a commercial interest in Linuxcnc agree informally on a statement of works and deal directly with the developer?

I would personally want to work directly with the developer but in consultation with the community, I would like to do something similar to what Tormach did with Path Pilot, But make it run on any hardware.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2019 06:50 by thefabricator03.

More
19 Jul 2019 12:24 #139877 by robertspark
So as to not taint this thread, I posted something here which regards the documenation / install of linuxcnc + plasmac and the first post of this thread which may want to be considered by whoever is trying to maintain the documenation for plasmac which has the potential to bring in new linuxcnc users to try it out and see how it performs.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...sues-plasmac-related

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Jul 2019 19:12 #139911 by docwelch
Phill,

I'm looking for where the cornerlock function actually exists. Specifically, where I can find the code that shows what it directs the machine to do if it is enabled. I'm curious as to what exactly it does.

Also, I'm sure I have just overlooked it somewhere but I cannot find where plasmac_run.kerf-width-f is defined. I would have thought it would be in plasmac_run.hal but I don't see it there.

Thanks,
Steven

More
19 Jul 2019 19:29 #139913 by tommylight
Search for plasmac.comp and have a look there.
Had not time to play with it for the last two months so i do not know if it there for sure, a lot has changed from then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: docwelch

More
19 Jul 2019 19:38 #139918 by mkardasi
Like tommy said it will be plasma.comp if you have the source code. Otherwise, you can look at it in the git repo.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ponents/plasmac.comp

Check out line 965 or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, docwelch

More
19 Jul 2019 23:48 - 19 Jul 2019 23:58 #139935 by phillc54

I'm looking for where the cornerlock function actually exists. Specifically, where I can find the code that shows what it directs the machine to do if it is enabled. I'm curious as to what exactly it does.

As mkardasi said

Also, I'm sure I have just overlooked it somewhere but I cannot find where plasmac_run.kerf-width-f is defined. I would have thought it would be in plasmac_run.hal but I don't see it there.

plasmac_run.kerf-width is a HAL pin created by plasmac_run.glade for the Kerf Width SpinButton. The -f denotes the FLOAT pin and there is also a S32 pin -s which is not used.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2019 23:58 by phillc54.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds