Another plasma component...

More
15 Aug 2019 03:09 #142184 by HueyHQ
Replied by HueyHQ on topic Another plasma component...

I am currently on a run in place version of plasmac from around May which uses v2.8. The machine is working and cutting ok but I am thinking I should really bring it up to date, I have had a couple of instances where the paused motion would have been useful. I really don’t want to break anything though so have a couple of questions.

I know absolutely nothing about Plasmac, and I may have the wrong end of the stick about RIP but, personally, I would clone the hard-drive before attempting an upgrade, if that is an option. If it all goes horribly wrong, chuck in the original and you're away again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2019 03:36 #142187 by thefabricator03

I know absolutely nothing about Plasmac, and I may have the wrong end of the stick about RIP but, personally, I would clone the hard-drive before attempting an upgrade, if that is an option. If it all goes horribly wrong, chuck in the original and you're away again.

That is a pretty good idea, Can you recommend a reasonably priced software that will do that with Linux?

More
15 Aug 2019 03:41 #142188 by phillc54

That is a pretty good idea, Can you recommend a reasonably priced software that will do that with Linux?

If you don't mind the command line then you can use dd which is in most distributions.
www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/ce...inux-disk-clone.html

More
15 Aug 2019 04:02 #142190 by HueyHQ
Replied by HueyHQ on topic Another plasma component...
Not that I've used it, but I believe Clonezilla is an open source cloning tool.

More
15 Aug 2019 04:40 - 15 Aug 2019 04:41 #142192 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Its not really worth worrying about in my view. We are just compiling a run in place version of LinuxCNC so you could simply set a different folder name on the initial git clone command here
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

That lets you have as many compiled versions of linuxcnc as you want. eg:

~/linuxcnc-dev
~/linuxcnc-dev1
~/linuxcnc-dev2
~/plasmac

EDIT: Just use the correct rip_environment script for the one you want to run
Last edit: 15 Aug 2019 04:41 by rodw.

More
15 Aug 2019 07:27 #142198 by tommylight
Clonezilla is free and very good at what it does.

More
15 Aug 2019 07:42 #142201 by Dee436
Replied by Dee436 on topic Another plasma component...
My version is prior to the configurator been available and I wasn’t aware Phil’s repository no longer existed. I will go with Rod’s option of compiling another run in place alongside my existing one. A job for the weekend I think

Thanks all

More
15 Aug 2019 07:47 #142202 by phillc54

My version is prior to the configurator been available and I wasn’t aware Phil’s repository no longer existed. I will go with Rod’s option of compiling another run in place alongside my existing one. A job for the weekend I think

That is the best option if you didn't use the configurator.

To use the configurator you need an ini file without any of the PlasmaC items and a HAL file the same. The configurator will also copy them into the new config directory as backups.

More
15 Aug 2019 08:14 #142206 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

Thanks all

I'm glad I read that right (That you had compiled from Phill's repository). It will only take you a couple of minutes (and a coffee)

More
15 Aug 2019 23:50 #142297 by thefabricator03
So I had a chance to use Phills pierce only function,

This was the straw that broke the camels back, Slag from the hole piecing tripping the torch when it was cutting the outside of the plate

So I generated my g-code as normal in sheetcam but I added this line of code to the start of the files,
#<pierce-only> = 1

That produced a piece only g-code files,

The result looks like this,

After cleaning it looks like this,

I am still cutting the sheet out now but have not had any issues with slag tripping the torch! Works as advertised!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds