Another plasma component...

More
16 Aug 2019 07:51 #142308 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Wow! how many commercial plasma controllers do that!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2019 23:49 #142351 by thefabricator03
Phill,

Is it possible for PlasmaC to be able to insert the code #<pierce-only> = 1 into a loaded g-code file and have a button in the interface so we can toggle it on when we want to us the pierce only function?

More
17 Aug 2019 00:01 - 17 Aug 2019 00:12 #142352 by phillc54
It would be possible but I don't think it will gain you much as you will still need two different GCode files using different Materials:
  • One for piercing with the standard Pierce Delay and a Cut Height the same as Pierce Height
  • One for cutting with a zero Pierce Delay and standard Cut Height.

• I do have an almost finished PP for SheetCam that does a pierce only and a cut only so it won't need the #<pierce-only> = 1 command but again it will have two GCode files using different Materials.

Edit:
    Actually it may be possible to do what you asked and have that also change the cut parameters after the Material has loaded.

Edit 2:
    That would also require a Cut Only button. A bit more thought required methinks.

Edit3:
    Or a single sequencing button Standard - Pierce Only - Cut Only ...
    Last edit: 17 Aug 2019 00:12 by phillc54.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
    17 Aug 2019 00:55 - 17 Aug 2019 00:55 #142354 by thefabricator03

It would be possible but I don't think it will gain you much as you will still need two different GCode files using different Materials:
  • One for piercing with the standard Pierce Delay and a Cut Height the same as Pierce Height
  • One for cutting with a zero Pierce Delay and standard Cut Height.

• I do have an almost finished PP for SheetCam that does a pierce only and a cut only so it won't need the #<pierce-only> = 1 command but again it will have two GCode files using different Materials.

Edit:
    Actually it may be possible to do what you asked and have that also change the cut parameters after the Material has loaded.

Edit 2:
    That would also require a Cut Only button. A bit more thought required methinks.

Edit3:
    Or a single sequencing button Standard - Pierce Only - Cut Only ...

I think the 3rd edit might be the way to go,

When I set up my pierce only sheet I just generated a normal g-code program and added the code and it worked, I did not need to change the material or tools, I was pretty surprised it worked so well with such minimal effort! When I wanted to do the cutting I just deleted the line in the same g-code file. Automating that function I see is the next logical step, As Rod posted we dont know of any other commercial controller that uses that function. Maybe Hypertherm but I have never seen it advertised.

I plan on using that function on any plate I cut over 20mm in thickness. 20 and 25mm are a bitch to cut as they produce a lot of slag from pierces.
    Last edit: 17 Aug 2019 00:55 by thefabricator03.

More
    17 Aug 2019 00:57 #142355 by phillc54

When I set up my pierce only sheet I just generated a normal g-code program and added the code and it worked, I did not need to change the material or tools,

What about for the cut afterwards, did you zero the Pierce Delay?

More
    17 Aug 2019 01:20 #142356 by thefabricator03

What about for the cut afterwards, did you zero the Pierce Delay?

No I just left it the same, It still tried to piece but the hole was already there, The 16mm plate I was cutting had a 1 second pierce delay so I felt leaving it set was the best thing to do.

If we could create a cut setting though it would help, I just did not think I needed to change it, And I cut the whole sheet with no problems.

More
    17 Aug 2019 01:29 #142357 by phillc54

No I just left it the same, It still tried to piece but the hole was already there, The 16mm plate I was cutting had a 1 second pierce delay so I felt leaving it set was the best thing to do.

If we could create a cut setting though it would help, I just did not think I needed to change it, And I cut the whole sheet with no problems.

I am glad it worked out OK. I will take a serious look at this when I get the air-scribe finished (nearly there I think). Meanwhile if you get some spare time if would be good if you could work out whether we do need to reduce the Pierce Delay for the cut afterwards and what would be a good number. I am thinking that for the thick sheets with long Pierce Delays we could reduce wear on the cutting consumables by minimising this time. This is assuming that it is viable to use near end of life consumables for piercing and good consumables for cutting.

More
    17 Aug 2019 01:58 #142360 by thefabricator03

I am glad it worked out OK. I will take a serious look at this when I get the air-scribe finished (nearly there I think). Meanwhile if you get some spare time if would be good if you could work out whether we do need to reduce the Pierce Delay for the cut afterwards and what would be a good number. I am thinking that for the thick sheets with long Pierce Delays we could reduce wear on the cutting consumables by minimising this time. This is assuming that it is viable to use near end of life consumables for piercing and good consumables for cutting.

Thanks for working on this Phill, It will be pretty awesome when we get the air scribe working well and combined with this feature I cant see much else needed apart from the fourth axis stuff.

I will be cutting a sheet of 20mm sometime this week so I will try that out as the 20mm tool has a 3 second pierce delay. The real test is the 25mm plate with a 5 second delay, But from my limited experience I dont see the need to eliminate the delay. Just being able to switch between pierce only and normal would be such a huge advantage. I will do more testing though and report back.

I did take your advise and I used old consumable for all of the pierces, Its great having a outlet to use them that wont affect cut quality, I have a bucket full so I dont think Ill need to buy piecing consumables for the next 20 years!
    The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
    17 Aug 2019 02:12 #142361 by islander261
    Guys

My guess is that because of all the metal you must get up to burning temp on thick material a not insignificant pierce delay is still going to be required when starting from a pre pierced hole. This is just a WAG because I just cut material 1/10th as thick.

John
    The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03

More
    17 Aug 2019 02:15 #142362 by phillc54

Guys

My guess is that because of all the metal you must get up to burning temp on thick material a not insignificant pierce delay is still going to be required when starting from a pre pierced hole. This is just a WAG because I just cut material 1/10th as thick.

John

That does make sense, I hadn't thought of the temp requirement.

Moderators: snowgoer540
    Time to create page: 0.208 seconds