Another plasma component...

More
08 May 2019 04:07 - 08 May 2019 04:07 #133109 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

It would be nice to alter the iocontrol module to provide plasma specific signals.Could we make a new module for plasma iocontrol in a similar way to what I've just done? (eg. ioplasma)

Hmm, further study of the source and I answered my own question. Yes it is possible and by default linuxcnc comes with two iocontrol modules io and iov2 which can be selected in the EMCIO section of the ini config. From what I understand, this would allow addition of plasma specific pins to iocontrol.

There still needs to be a component as io and milltask execute in userspace so can't do torch height control
Last edit: 08 May 2019 04:07 by rodw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2019 10:13 - 08 May 2019 10:16 #133122 by phillc54
I think I have finally got tool handling sorted.

I'll describe how it works and if there are no (or not too many) objections I will clean it up and push it some time tomorrow.

MANUAL:
Manual selection of tools reverts to a combobox which now shows tool number and description.
Every gcode file will now need to have the feed specified, it can be:
F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> - which will read the feed rate from the active tool.
Fn - with n being whatever feed rate you want. If using this you need to set the active tool feed rate to 0.

AUTO:
To specify an automatic tool change use M190 Pn (n being the plasmac tool number).
Then on the next line use M66 P3 L3 Q1 this is a handshake to let gcode know that the plasmac tool parameters are valid for the next cut.
Any number of tool changes can be made in a file but only ONE for each cut.

One upside to this is that Gmoccapy now reports the F word correctly.
One downside is that running imperial code in a metric machine and vice versa cause inverted feed rates. I will have a look at that later but cannot promise anything.

THC enable/disable is also done from the tool now so I will add three radiobuttons in a group:
On - THC is on for the duration
Off - THC is off for the duration
Auto - THC is controlled by the cut parameters of the active tool.

Hopefully this meets with your approval.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 08 May 2019 10:16 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
08 May 2019 12:54 #133136 by rodw
Phill, I think that seems workable given the constraints you are faced with. Its pretty amazing really to be able to achieve this. The M66 P3 L3 Q1 is designed for this sort of thing. So we are commanding a user space component to do something and we wait until it says it finished before proceeding with the gcode program. This is no different to the way Fanuc M40 external relays work for indexing etc.

The only thing I would like to see would be a disable pin (that defaults to enabled) on the plasmac component, and just leave it disconnected in your final version.

If the user wants to use it to disable THC from Gcode or from any other signal, he can do so just by connecting it. Many external THC's have a disable input so I think plasmac should have one too. People migrating from another system where they use sheetcam are likely to be accustomed to setting up automated cut rules in their post processor that disables THC. Even Hypertherm supports this feature.

So in summary, I would like to use auto or always on THC settings and be able to disable THC when I want to override the system. If I used auto, every tool would be set to on. Once stable, I'm looking forward to cleaning up my sheetcam post processor to make it plasmac specific.

More
08 May 2019 13:44 - 08 May 2019 13:46 #133137 by Dee436
Replied by Dee436 on topic Another plasma component...
I think I have success.

My plasma came without any cut charts so my first cuts with THC enabled I left the setting at 122 volts, this had the torch pogoing up and down. I then disabled the THC and did a cut at the correct torch height while monitoring the voltage, this gave me a value of 100 volts. I set this in the run config and made a few small cuts with the THC enabled, the voltage stayed pretty stable and the torch was rock steady too.

I then tried the auto volts but this had the torch pogoing up and down again, I am wondering if it read a higher voltage at pierce and tried to use that for the cut voltage. Not a big deal for me as I will work out required voltage through test cuts.

Thanks to Phill, John, and Rod for their help along the way, I would have still been floundering without it
Last edit: 08 May 2019 13:46 by Dee436.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
08 May 2019 13:58 #133140 by islander261
Phill

Reading Gcode variables from the HAL does have a few restrictions. I used this method extensively in my plasma application to choose between cut parameters passed from the PP or use the ones from the GUI. It all works fine as long as you do it before any motion, I did all mine in the machine setup preamble and at tool changes. I seem to recall that once the look ahead is running this function doesn't work reliably. It may work when the motion is stopped for some reason. I think I remember others having problems when trying this in the middle of a file.

I am not too worried about how you implement THC enable from Gcode. Your proposed tool table solution will work, I can just change tools to one that uses the THC the way I want. With my application I have a number of tools in SC that vary only in feedrate and whether the THC is enabled or not, I just choose the correct tool for each cut between cuts. Please make the skip IHS type so it works correctly with the selected THC function, I do it externally now with my hacked version of your branch. Your method does potentially make the tool table grow large, maybe even doubling the number of entries if you need a THC enable/disable set of cut parameters for each material and cut current.

Thank you for all the hard work on the Plasmac branch. My machine is working nicely right now. Because I am now working an outside job at the busiest time of year for my own production work I will not be updating to the newer versions until I have more time in about 2 months. Sorry but the old " If it isn't broken don't fix it" is driving the show for me right now.

John

More
08 May 2019 19:36 #133183 by JTknives
So why would a torch on command like M3 signal a diffrent pin then torch pulse. I have torch_on in the machine.hal set to pin 7 which should be the last output on TB6 but when I run a M3S1 comand pin 6 goes high and triggers another relay. When I push the torch pulse button on the GUI it triggers pin 7 and my opto22 turns on.

More
08 May 2019 20:37 #133189 by rodw
jtknives, it sounds like you have spindle.0.on connected to the other relay somehow. It should be connected to plasmac.spindle-on in hal.

Just recapping, spindle.0.on goes high on a M3 and I guess plasmac internally connects it to your torch on relay but the pulse button just triggers the torch on relay bypassing spindle.0.on

More
08 May 2019 20:55 - 08 May 2019 20:56 #133194 by rodw

I think I have success.

I then tried the auto volts but this had the torch pogoing up and down again, I am wondering if it read a higher voltage at pierce and tried to use that for the cut voltage. Not a big deal for me as I will work out required voltage through test cuts.

Thanks to Phill, John, and Rod for their help along the way, I would have still been floundering without it

Dee, you are welcome. its been good to have some less experienced people on board through this testing phase. here's my take on your problem.

You say things work at a lower voltage and not at a high voltage, I suspect you have your THC on delay set to too short a time period. Try 1.5 seconds or greater. Torch arcs are sampled as the THC is enabled. Without THC, when the torch pierces, the arc voltages goes up high very quickly, maybe say 50 volts over the cut voltage, then it starts to fall quickly for maybe 40 volts then tapers off over the last 10 volts until it settles nicely on the cut voltage and stays there. So if you sample too soon, you will be too high again. Over 2 machines from 1.6mm to 16mm, I have seen 1.5 seconds is the shortest period to be safe. On some materials, you could probably go as low as 0.5 seconds but I've erred on the side of caution.

You can also change the PID settings in the config tab.

You can use halscope to observe this in real time. In fact it might be interesting to reprogram the Plasmac halshow button to open halscope.
Last edit: 08 May 2019 20:56 by rodw.

More
08 May 2019 21:15 #133198 by rodw

Phill

I seem to recall that once the look ahead is running this function doesn't work reliably. It may work when the motion is stopped for some reason. I think I remember others having problems when trying this in the middle of a file.

John

Its my understanding that hal variables are only officially passed to the gcode once at the start of a program. if changes are reflected at any time during a program, it is a bonus but can't be guaranteed.

More
08 May 2019 21:53 - 08 May 2019 22:34 #133201 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Another plasma component...
Hi,

Just a random plasma update to our highly respected Linuxcnc members.
Maybe people ever seen this brand www.caterpillar.com

They are cutting with Linuxcnc plasma soon at headquarters distributor in Holland (PON). I hope to get the order soon.

Just want you to let you know that linuxcnc even does a job for Catterpillar Equipment soon.
It's that Linuxcnc has become a higher market level thanks to the linux users and developpers. B)

Rod,

Its my understanding that hal variables are only officially passed to the gcode once at the start of a program

That's right. The ngc intepreter does it once.
But it would be better to expand the ngc intepreter with the possibility to pass a realtime value to it.
This can be used for upslope or downslope, not like 4 takt but real value's. Some things are i think pre calculated like milling machines with spindle speed related to diameter of material. So if Andy know's a way to pass real time value's into the currently executed g-code process. I would smile for a week.
Last edit: 08 May 2019 22:34 by Grotius.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds