Another plasma component...

More
08 May 2019 23:44 #133206 by phillc54

rodw wrote:
So in summary, I would like to use auto or always on THC settings and be able to disable THC when I want to override the system

Would a halpin that does the equivalent of the THC Off button in the about to be released version do the job for you?

islander261 wrote:
Please make the skip IHS type so it works correctly with the selected THC function, I do it externally now with my hacked version of your branch

So:
when in THC enabled mode IHS skip if within distance of last cut
when in THC disabled mode IHS skip if distance within last successful probe

islander261 wrote:
Your method does potentially make the tool table grow large, maybe even doubling the number of entries if you need a THC enable/disable set of cut parameters for each material and cut current

Yes I do realise this, I got that idea from your sheetcam tool file. I hope it is not too much of a problem.
BTW tool 41 in the file you posted has a huge pierce height, I randomly (thankfully) used that tool and that was what showed up the deficiencies in remapping.

Dee436 wrote:
I then tried the auto volts but this had the torch pogoing up and down again, I am wondering if it read a higher voltage at pierce and tried to use that for the cut voltage
rodw wrote:
I suspect you have your THC on delay set to too short a time period

Oops, I forgot to put one of them in...:ohmy:

Guys,
Before I finish cleaning up this tool handling and push the changes Rod suggested that we revert back to calling it a material file rather than tool table.
I tend to agree as it should cause less confusion with the LinuxCNC tool table. I think I will rename it [EMC]MACHINE_material.cfg to distinguish it from the earlier version.

Cheers, Phill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2019 23:57 #133208 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
A very nice win for Grotius Machine tools and LinuxCNC there Michel!

I will send you an email with some ideas. I think it can be done except it will be in user space but allow continual updates when gcode is running. You'll just need to dwell with G4 after a change.

More
09 May 2019 00:31 #133211 by rodw

Would a halpin that does the equivalent of the THC Off button in the about to be released version do the job for you?

I think that would be perfect.

Before I finish cleaning up this tool handling and push the changes Rod suggested that we revert back to calling it a material file rather than tool table.
I tend to agree as it should cause less confusion with the LinuxCNC tool table. I think I will rename it [EMC]MACHINE_material.cfg to distinguish it from the earlier version.

Yes I think the idea of the change of name to refer to materials will be exactly what is required.

Just a question. Will the GUI update itself to reflect the selection that is made from gcode?

More
09 May 2019 01:10 #133212 by JTknives
I
Like the idea of a material library. I think my situation will be diffrent then most other people’s. I will be cutting a vast selection of steels and stainless steels. Being that I deal in knife steels there are all kinds of flavors in both carbon and stainless, As well as thicknesses. So getting it set up so each “material” can be saved would be helpful so I can tweak perfect setting for each one. Now is there a way for the material list to store cut rate as well. Some of the stuff I will be cutting is .062 up to around 3/8”.

More
09 May 2019 01:21 #133213 by rodw
Jt knives, this is already supported on the plasma run tab. You just need to add your description for the material to the new xx_material.cfg file on the new version. I use something like "2mm Mild Steel (40 amps)" as I might have settings for the same metal at 60 amps. So basically, a postprocessor (eg sheetcam) just needs to know the material id number to select it.

More
09 May 2019 01:27 #133214 by tommylight
Sorry guys, been busy lately.
It is amazing what can be done with Linuxcnc and how there can always be more than one way to do something in it or with it. That being said, I do not agree with the idea of "let's cram everything in one place" as that makes it impossible to maintain and troubleshoot and ultimately drives users away from using it, especially newcomers. There are already several things that can be done/controlled/invoked in several ways in this config and most of them i can not find any reason for as they do not serve as a redundancy, but separate functions for the same result. Also there is no tool table on earth that can have all the combinations of "material_type/material_thickness/plasma_cutter(amperage)/nozzle_and_electrode/air_dryer/air_moisture/mains_voltage_fluctuations/ambient_temperature".
Also a decision should have been made regarding CAM, not chasing back and forth the CAM and post processor issues. <<< whoever thinks this is not OK, please read the entire thread before posting about this.

This is magnificent work done by Phill and other members of this forum and i would hate to see it come to that.
As a reminder, see "blender style GUI by BrendaEM"

Moving on:
As Rod mentioned, this needs to be cleaned and packaged and be ready for users with as little options/editing as possible, as simple as possible to use and it should just work. The How to should be clear and concise (that leaves me out :) ).
Preferably a much earlier version of it, with less options, and this version should be the left as ultimate Plasma config, with everything included, so two separate threads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, thefabricator03

More
09 May 2019 01:51 - 09 May 2019 01:51 #133217 by JTknives
Thank you. I’m still in the process of trying to get my damn controller to stick to my plasma table . It keeps fallowing me back into the living room.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2019 01:51 by JTknives.

More
09 May 2019 02:02 #133218 by islander261
JTknives

I think that you will be surprised about how few material tables you will need. Almost all carbon steels cut with the same parameters for each thickness and most stainless steels will cut with the same parameters for the same thickness. Then you will also find with the thinner stainless sheets they actually cut quite well at the carbon steel cut height only a little slower. Always start at book specs. I found this out with my old commercial system as the THC kept driving the torch into the material at .02" cut height, I tried cutting at .062 a little slower and never went back. I actually couldn't tell any difference in cut quality! It may have been better because it didn't have the torch drag marks on the sheet.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
09 May 2019 02:56 - 09 May 2019 02:57 #133221 by phillc54

rodw wrote:
Just a question. Will the GUI update itself to reflect the selection that is made from gcode?

Yes it does.

tommylight wrote:
Also a decision should have been made regarding CAM, not chasing back and forth the CAM and post processor issues. <<< whoever thinks this is not OK, please read the entire thread before posting about this.

Using the material file or using a 'tool change' (I guess this should be called a material change) is not a requirement, if none is specified then all the cut parameters may be set from the run tab.
The only requirement in gcode is F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> to set the feed rate and M3S1 to start the ball rolling.
I am not interested in any particular CAM, I have used FreeCad on my mill and I used the Inkscape/GcodeTools way to test out my X/Y axis. I am happy to try to write converters to allow creating a plasmac material file from other tool files as I have done for SheetCam which are the only ones I have seen and which I doubt I will use myself.

Yes, writing a proper How To is going to be a bunch of fun :lol:

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 09 May 2019 02:57 by phillc54.

More
09 May 2019 03:11 #133222 by rodw

Yes, writing a proper How To is going to be a bunch of fun :lol:

Cheers, Phill.

Particularly if you work with the arcane docs editor used in the linuxcnc environment. I hope Andy pops in and points you in the right direction on that one!

I started looking at a post processor for sheetcam and I've emailed Les Newall who wrote it and hope he will help. The tool table really only needs one field in it to work with this (The sheetcam tool number) . Hopefully the resulting post will be deployed with sheetcam.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds