Downdraft design questions

More
21 Dec 2020 21:23 #192713 by tommylight
That should do, but i also ground everything in the control box, so i use the extra motor wire to ground a part of the machine after bearings, meaning each moving part of the machine has a ground so it does not rely on the bearings to be grounded.
And in general, the signal wiring should be grounded only on the electronics side, not on both sides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2020 21:44 #192724 by txtrone
Replied by txtrone on topic Downdraft design questions
That makes perfect sense. I appreciate it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Dec 2020 21:45 #192873 by txtrone

To go live, copy ddraft4x2.hal to your config folder and edit your ini file in a text editor (I use Geany!) and add it to the [HAL] section

This part requires the installation of Plasmac, correct?

I am still getting my base machine setup, as the instructions are pretty clear about getting the base machine dead-nuts before proceeding to Plasmac.

More
22 Dec 2020 22:32 #192885 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Downdraft design questions

To go live, copy ddraft4x2.hal to your config folder and edit your ini file in a text editor (I use Geany!) and add it to the [HAL] section

This part requires the installation of Plasmac, correct?

I am still getting my base machine setup, as the instructions are pretty clear about getting the base machine dead-nuts before proceeding to Plasmac.

You can do that now and plasmac should leave it alone. Note I uploaded a revised sketch of how to wire in the solenoids on your other wiring thread. The band on the diode points towards the mesa output. Pretty much any diode will do IN4004/IN4007 etc are as cheap as chips.

More
23 Dec 2020 01:28 #192908 by txtrone

The band on the diode points towards the mesa output. Pretty much any diode will do IN4004/IN4007

On this type of series diode module, how would you connect the negative wire from the bus and the output from the Mesa card? Or does the output from the Mesa card attach to one side of the diode and continue thru to the solenoid? For instance, would the output from the Mesa card for solenoid #1 connect to terminal #1 on the diode block, then 'continue' out through terminal #2.... while the negative wire from the 2x bus connects direct to the solenoid?
Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2020 14:38 - 23 Dec 2020 14:42 #192962 by txtrone
After a little more research, I am thinking I need the time with a common anode. Something like this:

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 14:42 by txtrone. Reason: I uploaded the wrong diagram the first time

More
23 Dec 2020 15:36 #192973 by tommylight
That should be it for the non D versions of Mesa.
Preferably wait for PCW to confirm that.

More
23 Dec 2020 16:15 - 23 Dec 2020 16:16 #192982 by txtrone

That should be it for the non D versions of Mesa.
Preferably wait for PCW to confirm that.

Will do. I am just trying to round up material before the holidays... so I can work on it all next week.

I still can't wrap my head around where the diode needs to go.

ETA: I see you explanation in another thread. Let me make a quick schematic and post it up for verification.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 16:16 by txtrone.

More
23 Dec 2020 16:18 #192983 by tommylight
I wanted to quote and say i did reply to that, by the time i got my eyes on the screen i see the edit there! :)

More
23 Dec 2020 16:26 - 23 Dec 2020 16:29 #192985 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Downdraft design questions
The diode needs to go from the positive side of your solenoid inductor to the negative of your solenoid conductor with the "ring" pointing to the positive side.
The reason for this is that the moment you switch your solenoid off the magnetic field that was opening your pneumatic valve collapses and that changing magnetic field will induce a fairly large voltage in the solenoid inductor that can damage the drivers on the board. This induced voltage is inverted in polarity compared to the voltage you supply the inductor with so it will find a short circuit through the diode while your supply voltage will find the diode not conductive.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

[edit]
Diode orientation:
electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/...al-diode-orientation
Last edit: 23 Dec 2020 16:29 by Aciera.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds