Recent PlasmaC Update and No Motion

More
25 Aug 2020 13:53 #179390 by snowgoer540

@ROD Why would the ohmic component affect that stuffs?

I think if a touch off does not happen, then motion does not follow. ( feature of PLasmac, not LInuxcnc)

The original ohmic.comp just simply replicated a relay so there was a voltage at which it came on and a lower voltage at which it turns off. so there is hysteresis to prevent false triggering.

The OP should use halshow to monitor the voltage in the circuit and observe if the thresholds are reached on the way up and down. if its set at 29 volts, and it never gets there, then the probe will never fire. and motion won't happen

So the newer version maintains the hysteresis but also does some fancy stuff with moving averages to increase sensitivity. I thought it could even trigger a probe event before the voltage fell below the high threshold.

I'm a little confused, he had it probe, and then it got to the point where it fired the torch but did not move, how does that relate to ohmic? That's the part I'm not getting? Doesnt the firing of the torch happen after the probe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2020 16:23 #179404 by PurduePete
I really should have mentioned that I have floating head back up that is functioning fine for probing. I can check my dedicated 24v power supply but I am pretty sure I already made sure that it was on point with the voltage. It was not off by much on last check. May not fully understand why it would allow piercing but then not motion. About to head to my shop to test the new f revision post to see if there is any change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
25 Aug 2020 17:27 - 25 Aug 2020 17:45 #179419 by PurduePete
I did just do some testing and could not get it to complete a cut. I did get it to do part of a cut, which was interesting. Just tested on a bottle opener with two pierces. It did the first cut but then it probed (float switch), pierced, moved to cut height (which I said it did not move to before but was mistaken), and just stayed paused. A couple of times I was able to advance the cut repeatedly and then it would cut. Tried waiting for the torch to no long have air coming out, tried making sure it did, tried going past lines in the gcode to make sure it wasn't a certain command. Seemed totally random, though I'm sure it was not. Oh and I tried removing all sheetcam path rules, no pierce delay, no THC delay, THC off, ohmic off, no void sense, void sense (normally off), auto volts, no auto volts (normally off), same with whatever the other option is.

Brought all of the files home and changed the connections file to have my arc ok wired in directly instead of using arc voltage as an ok. Changed the mode to 1. Once I go back to the shop tonight I will test it and see if that fixes the issue. Had some trouble with the arc ok dropping out on larger lead ins/lead outs if the inside dropped out of thicker plate. But I feel that it gives better quality to have the longer lead. We will see what happens.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2020 17:45 by PurduePete. Reason: added some info.

More
25 Aug 2020 17:33 #179423 by tommylight
Lower the pierce height and maybe the cut height also a bit.

More
26 Aug 2020 02:05 #179481 by PurduePete
I can try that.

I have now tried a fresh setup. I end up with the same thing.

More
26 Aug 2020 02:55 - 26 Aug 2020 03:50 #179485 by PurduePete
I did not install the ohmic portion on this fresh setup. Relying on the floating head. All motion and homing is good. Cut without torch active is also not working. It stops right after the "pierce" just like when the torch is active. Sometimes I do not get voltage reading for the THC. It will display "nan". But i can restart the software and get it to read a voltage. The most I have had to try restarting is 4 times. I was on update .163 but updated again to .165 to see if that helped. Tried cutting using conversational items as well but it does work either. Tested without a material selected. Changed consumables.

If the machine is run while it says nan, it crashes into the plate badly after the thc delay.

Is there anyway to install a previous version of plasmac? Just to test.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2020 03:50 by PurduePete.

More
26 Aug 2020 04:16 #179489 by rodw
If you are not seeing a voltage, I suspect a loose connection possibly. (NAN = not a number) Time to open halshow. While not cutting go to the encoder and look for the velocity. It should read close to your 0 Volt frequency on the THCAD calibration sticker. (probably divided by 32 if that link is set on the THCAD). When you next see the nan, what does the velocity say in halshow?

Then get a 9 volt or 5 volt battery (depending if using a THCAD-10 or THCAD-5) and apply it to the THCAD torch voltage inputs. What does the velocity say? What does your torch voltage say? (eg. 9 volt battery should say 9/10 of full scale on thcad-10)

The velocity should always say something becasue the 0 volt reading in the THCAD is offset as per the calibration sticker. I think we need to sort out your voltage reading before worrying too much about ohmic sensing.

More
26 Aug 2020 04:41 #179491 by phillc54
Did you try running from a terminal to see if there are any error messages?

More
26 Aug 2020 04:51 - 26 Aug 2020 04:57 #179492 by PurduePete
Rodw, I don't really understand. Why can I restart the software up to 4 times and get a voltage reading without shutting off my controller/cnc machine? In addition to that, Tesremos found he had the same issue on his machine today. Restarting the software multiply times showed a voltage reading some times and then sometimes nan. Seems to be a totally random interval. I have never seen nan before updating to v.163.

Is there a way to go back to a different version?

Phillc54, I did run from the terminal. But the only error shown was the arc lost after it stayed paused in location for long enough to blow out the hole so that it couldn't maintain arc. *EDIT: Adjusting cut height and pierce height had no effect. It actually reads arc ok until the hole gets too large to maintain arc. It reads it via the little light and through hal meter.*

Not sure that it was mentioned but did successfully switch to mode 1 and am using the Hypertherm arc ok signal rather than thc voltage now. No ohmic sensing components installed. Tested with old and new post as well as the conversational programming, which is awesome by the way. Did a fresh config with the same result. I believe this to be some kind of bug now.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2020 04:57 by PurduePete.

More
26 Aug 2020 04:58 #179493 by phillc54

I did run from the terminal. But the only error shown was the arc lost after it stayed paused in location for long enough to blow out the hole so that it couldn't maintain arc.

I meant were there any error messages displayed on the terminal while linuxcnc was first loading.

Is there a way to go back to a different version?

Only if you are using a run in place version.
Do you know what version you were on previously?
I don't know of anything that was changed that would cause this issue.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds