Arc OK intermitent issues on torch fire

More
01 Apr 2021 00:11 - 01 Apr 2021 00:12 #204336 by snowgoer540

Quick side question. I powered my THCAD 10 from the same 'common' PSU as the Mesa board. Is there anything wrong with that? or does it need to get power from the Mesa board?

Nothing wrong with that, it will work either way.
And i do agree on not using any resistor or capacitor, try it without it. I never used any of those on several (count more than 20) and never had issues, but i am pretty sure it might be needed sometimes.

Stefan sent me the CAD drawing he has been working on for his schematic. I modified it to show what I have connected (THC only) ... does this look close?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Personally, I would hook the THCAD-10 to the 7i76e's encoder 5V supply as that is advice PCW (who is a "he" (Peter), and is the creator of all the MESA hardware, by the way) gave somewhere in one of these many threads. But, I've already said that. You seem to keep asking the same thing over and over.

Maybe it's time to take a deep breath, know you're probably going to get some aspect of all of this wrong, but many of us are happy to help when you do, and start building?
Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 00:12 by snowgoer540.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2021 00:40 #204338 by tommylight

It would be very useful if the poster of that picture corrects it to stop confusing users.

Can moderators delete these types of things? Or is that censorship? :laugh:

Yes we can, but it is a thin line .....

More
01 Apr 2021 00:49 #204339 by tommylight

And i do agree on not using any resistor or capacitor, try it without it. I never used any of those on several (count more than 20) and never had issues, but i am pretty sure it might be needed sometimes.

To be fair Tommy, from what you've written over the years, many of the machines you have built did not have a builtin AcOK relay so it was a non issue for them. At least you know to look for the issue if it ever bites you!

Correct, most of the plasma's did not have an arcok so i made two types of them, one very complicated and the other was the reed switch=simple and reliable.
But i also did some 7 or more retrofits on Hypertherm sources wired to Mesa 7i77 inputs and also never had issues.
Hypertherm MAX100, HD3070 (2 or 3 of them), MAX40, a 200A one and a 400A one that was scary big and will shut down at anything above 250A due to power grid not being able to withstand the load! :)

More
01 Apr 2021 01:22 #204343 by snowgoer540

It would be very useful if the poster of that picture corrects it to stop confusing users.

Can moderators delete these types of things? Or is that censorship? :laugh:

Yes we can, but it is a thin line .....

I think maybe in a case like this, it's ok. Save people the confusion...

More
01 Apr 2021 01:32 #204344 by txtrone

Personally, I would hook the THCAD-10 to the 7i76e's encoder 5V supply as that is advice PCW (who is a "he" (Peter), and is the creator of all the MESA hardware, by the way) gave somewhere in one of these many threads. But, I've already said that. You seem to keep asking the same thing over and over.

Maybe it's time to take a deep breath, know you're probably going to get some aspect of all of this wrong, but many of us are happy to help when you do, and start building?

I appreciate your input.

More
01 Apr 2021 01:33 #204345 by txtrone

I think maybe in a case like this, it's ok. Save people the confusion...

I agree 100 percent. There is enough confusion as it is.

More
01 Apr 2021 02:52 #204351 by txtrone

Personally, I would hook the THCAD-10 to the 7i76e's encoder 5V supply...

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Is this what you would personally do?
Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2021 08:20 #204372 by snowgoer540
Yep, in fact that’s how mine are wired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
01 Apr 2021 09:30 #204377 by rodw
You can also use the 7i76e spindle relay but its polarised so if you connect it the wrong way, the torch will be always on..
Its working fine for me once I turned the wiring around the right way...

HINT: have the plasma turned off when you first fire it up. With a bit of luck your Hypertherm will sense a wiring error (torch stuck on) like my Thermal Dynamics, raise an error and not turn on.

Eliminates the relay so one less failure point... Took me a long time to try it, but it works fine for me! So with ohmic sensing I have no relays in my machine...
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
01 Apr 2021 12:38 #204385 by txtrone

You can also use the 7i76e spindle relay but its polarised so if you connect it the wrong way, the torch will be always on..
Its working fine for me once I turned the wiring around the right way...

HINT: have the plasma turned off when you first fire it up. With a bit of luck your Hypertherm will sense a wiring error (torch stuck on) like my Thermal Dynamics, raise an error and not turn on.

Eliminates the relay so one less failure point... Took me a long time to try it, but it works fine for me! So with ohmic sensing I have no relays in my machine...

That is good to know. Which spindle pins do you land 'torch on' and 'torch com' at the 7i76e?

At what point do I need new firmware/software for the 7i76e?

The only two items left to connect are THCAD-5 Hypersensing module and maybe (if it's worth it) RS485 connection between my Hypertherm and PC.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds